Jake & Gill - Cover

Jake & Gill

Copyright© 2019 by TonySpencer

Chapter 2

THERE was quite a turn out at the starting point on Sunday morning, a large pub car park, where a very stately-looking and well-spoken older woman addressed the group in a commanding voice to ensure everyone was aware of safety first during the walk. Before they set off, Jake came over to Gill and renewed his acquaintance with her children.

Jenny had been quite sullen during the car journey and scornful of the expected exercise, which she declared would be a ‘boring waste of time’. She also felt gawky and uncomfortable standing around in the car park with all these strangers, but she brightened significantly once the handsome Jake came on the scene. Although her mother had said that ‘John from the copy shop at work would be there’, Jenny never really listened to anything her mother said any more, but then the girl instantly remembered she’d had a crush on him when she was about eleven years old.

Clay had also been less than enthusiastic about the Sunday outing, until Jake showed him his iPhone and pointed out an application that mapped out the route. It would also track Clay’s progress and count how many calories he’d burned; Jake loaned it to him for the duration of the walk and also pointed out the ‘Stand or Attack 4’ game app which was loaded up and ready to use, provided Jake entered a password, which he promised he would when they stopped for lunch.

So it was quite a merry band that Gill started out with on their gentle walk. Clay actually forged onto the front of the strung out group, continually referring to the directions on the phone, while Jenny hovered immediately behind Jake and her mother, who walked along companionably next to each other. Every now and then the group would stop and gather outside an ancient building or tree with some interesting history associated with it and one of the senior members of the party would give a brief talk on it. They were a lively group, comfortable in company with each other, and there were always questions, comments and banter, with plenty of laughs.

Gill and her children soon relaxed, Clay gravitated towards a couple of lads of similar age who were very interested in the app on the phone, while Jenny was engrossed with a young mum encumbered with a double buggy and two very young children.

Halfway through the morning walk, Jake left Gill’s side to hurry ahead to help with various buggies and toddlers through styles and kissing gates leading off-road for a stretch, and told Gill to carry on and he would see her when they stopped for lunch.

It was then that the old woman who appeared to be the organiser fell in to walk beside Gill. The lady was surprisingly sprightly for her age and had no trouble keeping up a brisk pace on the grassy track next to a field of rapeseed, already brilliantly in flower, a golden haze flowing almost to the horizon.

“Hello,” she started, “I’m Gertie, Jake’s grandmother, you must be Gill. Are you and your children enjoying the walk so far?”

“Very much so,” replied Gill, “You certainly have a mixed crowd taking part and all thoroughly enjoying themselves.”

“We have a wide spectrum in the group, some of them come out with us every month and others progress onto more challenging treks after a short while and they are replaced by new members. Hopefully, you and your children will come along next month?”

“I think we probably will,” laughed Gill, realising that she was really enjoying the fresh air, the gentle pace and somewhat relieved that her children appeared to be having a good time with very little effort on her part. “It’s just beautiful being able to get out in the fresh country air, and the exercise is something I really need, the gym just doesn’t cut it compared to this.”

The vista was lovely, a splash of yellow blossom, and white and yellow flowers in the fresh green hedgerow, topped off by an azure sky dotted with fluffy cotton wool.

“I would like to be free to do this every weekend,” Gill thought out loud.

“Tell me if I am being nosy but, while my grandson talks to me all the time, he never actually tells me anything about himself and nothing at all about his private life,” Gertie said quietly, linking her arm into Gill’s and leaning in so as not to be overheard. “I see you do not have any rings on your left hand, so, are you going out with Jake?”

“Well, John, er, Jake is just a friend from work,” Gill answered, “we are old friends, I suppose. I’ve known him ever since I started at the bank a dozen years ago. He suggested today’s walk as a good way of getting my children outdoors and active for a change. As for my rings or lack of them? Well, according to my divorce lawyer I should be officially single again in about two weeks’ time, if everything runs to schedule. I’ve not even thought about dating anyone let alone Jake yet or even whether I want to, ‘once bitten’, they say.”

Gill smiled ruefully at the thought. One door closing, an important chapter coming to an end, with only two highlights, her children. It was a shame that their father had let her and them down so badly through his own selfishness.

“Sorry to hear about your marriage dear. I had three husbands myself, but I outlived them all. Jake is the only man in my life right now, but I think he is the best of them all, better even than his father and grandfather and they were great men,” Gertie whispered. “So your children, Jennifer and... ?”

“Clay, short for Clayton.”

“Yes, Clayton,” continued Gertie, “They live with you or your soon-to-be-ex-husband?”

“Most of the time they’re with me, they spend every other weekend with their father.”

Gertie cackled at that, saying, “In that case you’d be free to go camping with Jake next weekend, he’s tackling a handful of Derbyshire hills over the two days, nothing too strenuous, I assure you. I am sure he’d enjoy your company. I like your sturdy walking shoes, by the way, good ankle support. You have obviously hiked before.”

“I used to hike a lot as a teenager and before I married Wayne. I’d forgotten just how much enjoyment I got out of it. As for Derbyshire, my grandmother used to live in Matlock so we often walked in the Dales when I was a child, without tackling anything major. The views were fantastic, the rock formations and the streams, I just loved those long summer holidays.”

“Well, you will have to tell that to Jake, I’m sure he would welcome your enthusiasm.”

“Oh, I couldn’t do that, I am really out of condition, an hour or two each week in the gym wouldn’t help much walking up and down the Dales all day carrying camping equipment. Besides it’s been twenty years since I last camped out. I wouldn’t want to hold him up. I don’t even have any camping equipment any more.”

“Don’t you worry about gear, dear, I have quite a number of single tents at home, even if he doesn’t. As for holding Jake back, well, the hills will be there for him to conquer any other day, while the company of a pretty woman would beat hiking on his own hands down,” Gertie chuckled. “Anyway, you give it some thought, my dear, I must check out the gate ahead to make sure we all go the right way on the other side!”

‘Amazing!’ Gill thought, as Gertie kicked down a gear and sped off up the incline, leaving Gill almost standing, and Gertie must be 80 if she was a day! ‘Regular exercise and fresh air must be good for you, there’s no argument about that!’

Gill was beginning to feel warm, walking up that hill, with the early spring sunshine beating down. With her dark-brown hair tied in a sensible ponytail, she could feel the spring sun’s warmth on her bare neck and even through her clothing on her shoulders. She took off her thick sweatshirt, it had been cool first thing in the morning and she had been glad of it then. She tied it around her waist. She was pleased she had opted for shorts rather than slacks; it felt good to let the air and sun get to her pale legs. Now with just a thin white short-sleeved vee-neck tee-shirt and sports bra, khaki mid-thigh shorts, brown hiking boots and ankle socks, she thought she looked quite cool among these much younger mums and their youngsters.

Gill looked around to check up on her own children. Jenny was behind her, laughing and smiling with a bleached blonde girl not much older than Jenny. She was pushing a double buggy with a couple of babies in it.

Tsk! Gill thought, Jenny must be sweltering in her clothes, thick black sweatshirt and heavy jeans. Jenny was going through one of those self-conscious phases where she wanted to cover herself up all the time in dark clothing. Gill thought that her father leaving home must have affected her confidence, too. It had certainly affected Gill’s confidence adversely; losing a husband to a much younger woman can do that to you.

She looked around for Clay but couldn’t see him at first. She knew he had gone to the front of the group, so she started moving past some of the slower walkers, so she could get a better look. Gill saw Jake ahead, helping a mum get a pushchair over a kissing gate at the top of the hill they were walking up. Strangely, considering the lovely weather and his tanned face and hands, he seemed to be completely covered up just like her daughter, with long-sleeved polo-neck sweatshirt and slacks covering his long, slim legs and pert bum.

‘Damn,’ she thought, thinking about John or Jake’s bum. ‘I’m acting like a frustrated old maid who had gone without sex for far too long. And that’s the truth, unfortunately!’

When she reached him, Jake was lifting another pushchair over the gate.

“Looks like you’ve got a job of work there, Jake,” Gill said, noting that as everyone else called him Jake she supposed she should. “There’s a double buggy coming up in a couple of minutes.”

“I know,” Jake grinned back at her in response, “it’s Gemma’s beautiful twins. If you can just hold on here for a couple of minutes you could help hold one of the twins with Gemma while I deal with passing over the buggy.”

“Sure,” agreed Gill with a smile, “by the way, have you seen Clay recently?”

“Yes, I can see him from up here, he’s talking with Clive and Ally, they are using an iPhone app to identify trees and shrubs. He’s pretty handy on the internet.”

“Perhaps I better persuade his father to get him one for Christmas,” laughed Gill.

“Is that so you can get him some school shoes?” teased Jake, looking at her out of the corner of his eye as he lifted over a lunch box and a change bag as a mother carried her toddler through the gate.

“Oh, dear,” replied Gill remembering telling Jake that her last gift to her son was clothing, while her ex- had bought him a PC game. “You know me so well!”

She laughed, while also thinking, ‘am I so predictable? Is that why my marriage broke up and my kids are so reluctant to respond to me?’ Her smile faded with these thoughts. ‘Because their father was all flash here-and-now casual with no substance, I have had to be the practical one, which naturally ends up with me covering all the boring things in life. This left their dad even freer to do all the frivolous things that the kids have fun with. It’s so not fair!’

‘Damn!’ she thought, ‘I want to be the Fun Mum, not the sensible boring Frump Mother that I seem to have become. Perhaps I should start dictating what role I play without waiting for everyone else to organise me, live for today and do what I want and bugger tomorrow! Well not all the time, I can’t help being a bit anal retentive, but perhaps I should loosen up a little.’

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.