Making the Revolution - Cover

Making the Revolution

Copyright© 2019 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 20

About a month later, Patrick received an “official” packet from Canberra. It was a copy of the “Investigatory Report” on the “collapse” of the Lake Argyle Dam. He skimmed the three dozen pages and put it aside. Nothing would be done, as the State of Western Australia and the Federal Government were just beginning to play pass the potato. He thought about how long it would be. Decades might pass before any meaningful decision would be taken. And then they would begin considering money – aka ‘financial aspects.’

He’d call Sam and let him know that it had taken only a few months for the visitors to give birth to their report. He thought of a paper he’d seen several years ago concerning Aborigines and city planning.

Cities and urban settlements in Australia exist on lands that are the traditional lands of Australia’s Aboriginal peoples (The focus of this article is on Aboriginal land claims in our capital cities and regional centres on mainland Australia rather than the Torres Strait, and consequently the term Aboriginal is used throughout except where the context makes it necessary to refer to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander or Indigenous.). Yet the fact of continued Aboriginal presence, ownership and stewardship of Australian territory remains unrecognized in Australian planning. As a result, the profession is yet to grapple in a just and meaningful way with the fact of Aboriginality in Australian cities. Indeed, planning persistently renders Aboriginal people invisible, and perpetuates colonial dispossession. (Wensing & Porter)


There were now nearly sixty living in Gabbaitch, in two dozen dwellings. At the extremes, there was a family of five (a couple with two children and her mother) and Jos was still alone. But over half the population was between 18 and 30, and only five were under six. The lake-bed that was now teemed with life: reeds and grasses; shrubs; saplings; frogs, toads, a long-necked turtle, goannas, snakes, and a variety of dunnarts, bettongs, and several wallabies had been spotted, along with a feral cat and several hawks, owls and cranes feeding on the seeds and prey.

It was idyllic in several ways.

But there’s a snake in every garden.

Not the Great Serpent. But a hydra at the station in the Territory to the southeast. That’s where the two hands in the ute had come from months ago. And as summer advanced, several others drove out onto the grasses and brush of the lake.

Two of the women who had been out harvesting wattle seeds were yelled at and propositioned by some yahoos in a ute. They had just run up into the rocky area, where the ute couldn’t follow and made their way back.

Wattleseeds are the edible seeds from any of 120 species of Australian Acacia that were traditionally used as food by Aborigines, and eaten either green (and cooked) or dried (and milled to a flour) to make a type of bush bread.

Jos was at a loss as to how to proceed. Zeke and Andy weren’t helpful (Andy thought they should steal a bullock and roast it). Two other men, who had served in the Army, wanted to “take care” of things. Jos wasn’t going to agree with that, so he drove to Mirima Village and spoke to Boobook.

In January 2018, [there were] nearly 1,600 Indigenous ADF members, a cohort that has almost doubled since 2015.

Defence Force Recruiting Specialist Recruiter Shane Cox, says the boost in Indigenous personnel has significantly contributed to the ADF’s capabilities.

“Indigenous people bring a lot to the forces ... different language, different capabilities, knowledge of the land.” SBS News

“I will call Dayah Minyah, the carpet python,” Boobook said.

“Not Bunjil?”

“No. Patrick is a lawyer. He has encountered such problems. I will ask him.” He phoned Patrick and told him of ‘a problem.’ He then handed to phone to Jos, who narrated the story of the infringement and encounter. Patrick said he would call back within an hour.

In Sydney, Patrick phoned Sam.

“How’s Tessa?”

“Fine, why?”

“Want to fly to Kununurra?”

“Seriously?”

“Yes. Jos has a problem with randy stockmen annoying the gins.”

“The same ones I encountered?”

“Unknown. Most likely from the same station. As there’s no large body of water, there’s no boundary marker. They should have more sense, but hands aren’t known for their schooling.”

“Would it be for more than a few days?”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.