War in Two Universes Book 6 - Cover

War in Two Universes Book 6

Copyright© 2019 by Hunter Johnson

Chapter 18: The Grork Core Planets

“The ancients took war seriously. The AIs made sure we trained until the last second, and we have tasks yet to complete,” said Linda. Porquenta says he is benefitting far more than he expected from the contact with both Jones and the ships, but he is hard-pressed to keep up. The AIs analyze every battle in exhaustive detail. They asked for information about every aspect of the vessel from the Schlogg about our moon dreadnaught. They are continually talking to the teams on the ground in Bekta Delta. Porquenta says he has learned more detailed and comprehensive ways of analyzing and interpreting what occurs in battle. He says he is considering how he may upgrade his power to cope with the new demands.

Porquenta says they analyze the battle in real time and can feedback far more than he is able to do. They are faster to change shield and cannon configurations than he can. He does not want us to be exposed as long as we were to a cyber attack where we lose control of our AIs and Battle AIs for hours.

“I can understand how he feels. I feel overwhelmed and under-resourced more often than not. I am sure the Uzliumbax AIs will help him upgrade himself when this campaign is over.

“I get the feeling the Grork will blow up their planets if they can if we are winning,” said Jason.

“Yes, we did construct a model to evaluate the possibility,” said Sheila. I have had a chat about the possibility to Lisirra as well.”

“We will try to prevent it,” said Lisirra. “ We can do no more than try our best.

“Let us talk about and think about our first target,” said Lisirra. “We are four hours to Flafelc. It has the biggest population of Schlogg who are not hosting Grork. They have two billion Grork and twenty-two billion Schlogg. The planet has vast underground vaults. We assume some of the species we know have bodies there, but until we open them, we will not be certain. The Schlogg do well there, and it has an ideal ecosystem for them. The planet has more resources than any the Schlogg have in Universe Bekta Delta. The planet is heavily industrialized, and the Grork make most of their weapons on Flafelc. Most of the cities were built above-ground and the factories below ground. The Grork constructed the principal research facilities on the planet as well as factories to produce poisons and biological weapons,” said Lisirra. The planet does have some agriculture.

“We will attack Flafelc and simultaneously our allies will attack Grorkin,” said Lisirra. “We will try to destroy, capture or incapacitate the fleets. If we achieve those objectives, we will reduce the risk to the Parzool to a negligible level. We are not planning to take the planet Flafelc until we take Wuland. We want to knock out the fleets then take Wuland where command and control are based.

“There are few independent Schlogg on Wuland, it is a planet reserved for hosted Grork with very few independent Schlogg,” said Lisirra, “Wuland is the core world of the Grork. It is a place of profound significance to them. We do not know the basis of the strong feelings they have about Wuland.

“The interrogators say the Grork think a great one with great respect, but it is unnamed, and they do not describe what it is,” said Andrea. “The impression we formed is of a being the Grork revere, but most of them do not know what it is. They know it is on the planet. They think of Wuland as the epicenter of the Grork culture.

“Wuland is a planet that grows more food than any other. There are thirteen billion Grork with their hosts who live there and no more than a hundred thousand independent Schlogg. We can see the most significant underground interlinked tunnels on Wuland. The catacombs are so deep we cannot see the bottom. We cannot find evidence of any industry, yet Wuland has the most massive planetary defenses, and it has a substantial fleet. It has minerals and metal, but there is no mining.

“We will knock out the defending fleets first and then land on the planets after the allies take out the fleet in the solar system of Grorkin. We think the Grork are holding a hidden reserve fleet or two. They will hit us when they think we are vulnerable.”

“We are not using all our ships in the campaign. We have created a reserve in case of trouble. This is the first time we have a distinct advantage over the enemy. We enjoy favoring circumstances due to the contribution of our old Uzliumbax fleet.

“I have been working with the planets dominated by the Grork,” said Lisirra. “Wuland is the key. The great being is there, I can feel it and its power. It tried to find me when I am on the planet. Whenever I was on Wuland, it watched what I did, but never told the Grork. I felt it, play around the edge of my mind. It conveyed it found me amusing. I never experienced the being as hostile.

“We land on Wuland first because the Grork will not destroy the planet and it is the most important planet. I cannot evaluate the importance of the being to us. It puzzles me. I can feel the being. It never harmed me, so I am reluctant to advise we kill it. I can feel the enormous telepathic power of the alien being, but it never forced its way into me. It is subtle, and it almost drew me in the first time. It is not like a Grork. It has a unique ancient primordial feel and an enormous mind. It feels heavy, ancient and is very different. I did not feel it was evil like the Grork. It tried to suck my mind in, then laughed when it could not get in on one of my earliest visits. It laughed and said, “next time.” I did not risk engaging with it again. It did not report me to the Grork then or at any time over the millennia. I first felt it was a threat, but then I was not sure. I had other business to transact. It brushed my mind over the years. It never went after me and never harmed me. Is this what they hold as revered? If so what does it do for them?” Lisirra asked.

“What conclusions have you reached about this being?” Andrea asked. “I became obsessed with it. It had an enigmatic manner but was playful. I was not sure if it was playing with me as it would with a child or if it was a predator with prey.

“I have thought about it for centuries and changed my mind often. I am sure it is not loyal to the Grork. Is the being what the Grork understand is some form of supreme being? Why do the Grork not know what it is?” Lisirra asked.

“The way you talk about the being is much like the Grork describe it in their own way,” said Sheila.

“It is the most powerful force I encountered before the Ghoul Queen. I was sweating fighting some of the Grork admirals and generals, but I knew I could overcome them.

“I do not think it had an overwhelming power or perhaps it did not exert itself. Every time I went to the planet, I felt it was curious, but it did not force its way into my mind. I am advocating for restraint. We knock out the ships then I advise we talk to the entity.”

“Fine Lisirra, I will go with your intuition. It sounds pretty strange, but it did not harm you. How long have you visited the planet?” Jason asked.

“Jason, I was cautious and slow to initiate my encounters with the independent Schlogg. I visited over ten thousand years. I visited all the Grork planets countless times to work with the Schlogg. I started in Bekta Delta and finally visited the worlds here. I found it difficult as I needed an environmental suit and the Schlogg were fearful of my appearance. I needed to earn their trust.

“I cannot believe you join me in a meeting and half an hour later the Schlogg become your subjects after you talk to them fluently,” said Lisirra. “I did all the work. I had to battle to learn how to communicate using images telepathically. They were very slow to trust me after the bad experience they had with the Grork.”

“Lisirra, I benefitted from all the work you did. We all did. You have done a great job. Your grandmother might have been an Empress of the Uzliumbax, so if you do a good job, who knows, you might be invited to join the hopeful ones lining up to join my growing harem,” said Jason laughing.

“Never you pervert,” said Lisirra also laughing. “You need to ask my father’s permission to court me first, I am not standing in any line!”

“Well that is some progress,” said Jason.

“I think I am going to lie down and have a rest for a few hours. I am feeling pretty tired, and I want to be as fresh as possible for the battle. I challenge you to see how many ships we can disable. We first knock out all the telepathic transmitters and then the Grork,” said Jason.

“We will see,” said Lisirra giggling. “I think I might come to have a rest with you. We both need to be fresh!”

Linda raised her eyebrows and looked at Sheila grinning.

As they walked the short distance to Jason’s wardroom, Lisirra bumped his hip several times saying “oops,” each time.

They both fell asleep quickly and were woken by the ship an hour before they reached their destination. Jason and Lisirra walked back to the control room together.

“Did the entity have some sort of a name and did it know your name?” Linda asked.

“Yes, it knew my name and it told me it was a Teokraeus and its name was Ooryphyon,” said Lisirra.

“Something is nagging at my memory. I can’t quite get it, but I know the Taokraeus are very ancient but more than that I don’t know. I am searching. It will come to me,” said Jason. “It’s a memory but not from my current life and for that reason it is hard to retrieve!”

“Jason, you are a young man and cannot have old memories. It is impossible,” said Lisirra.

“Stop bickering you two. You are like a grumpy old couple,” said Linda. “You are arguing about everything and nothing. We will be in the system in four minutes. The scouts say fifty-seven ships are waiting for us. They have one hundred and fourteen planetary trans-dim projectors. We will jump to the best position for you to attack the ships, then we will move closer to the planet to hit projectors, cannon, and defensive missiles. Your signal has been sent Lisirra to the Schlogg along with Jason’s. Best of luck all,” said Andrea.

Jason meshed with the system and saw his red heads-up display on the ships he was to target. He worked through each ship, knocking out psychic projectors first then the Grork while trying to avoid the Schlogg. He finished quickly but found Lisirra waiting.

“Slow young man!”

He smiled and puckered for a kiss. Lisirra blushed. “Woman, why blush you have slept with me, what is there to blush about.”

Linda raised her eyebrows. “Hit the powerful planetary Grork while you have the chance, do the lovey-dovey later.”

Jason looked for powerful minds interrogated them and killed them.

“There are small explosions all over the ships and on the planet. I hope it is not Schlogg dying from explosions triggered by Grork deaths,” said Andrea.

“We are being hailed by the Schlogg. All but one ship is in their control. It is the flagship. They need help to take control of it. I am sending dogs and marines to the bridge. Hit the bosses, you two, no rest for the wicked,” said Andrea.

Jason and Lisirra linked minds and found the Grork Admiral dying. He was trying to push his host to send a planet destroyer to the planet. Jason paralyzed him, searched his mind and terminated him.

“Got him, the Schlogg are in control. Lisirra let’s search the surface.

Jason and Lisirra concentrated on the task searching a grid created by Lisirra.

“Jason, I have a biggie, please help me hit him.”

Jason followed her target and found Fessmor Scheffel Senior General of the Schlogg, battling a Grork on his host. As Jason entered the Grork, he was too late to prevent the Grork trigger a small bomb on the host.

He felt the Grork general’s agony. He entered the mind of the host. He was fine.

“The Schlogg have done something clever. The bombs kill the Grork, not the host,” said Jason.

Jason looked at Lisirra who was grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

“You are so clever missy, so clever. You planned this ahead of time,” said Jason.

“What was so clever?” Linda asked.

Jason explained what happened for the benefit of Andrea and Linda.

“Well done Lisirra. I would be happy to send you to my enemies for ten thousand years if you could pull a few more tricks like that out of your hat,” said Andrea smiling.

“Boys and girls, we are done. All the ships are undamaged and under our control,” said Andrea. “The Schlogg are elated. The explosives detonated horizontally towards the Grork rather than downward to kill the Schlogg, precisely as you described earlier. The surface is clear of projectors. The defense platforms are damaged and will not be a problem. We started pounding cannon and missile sites, but the Schlogg on the surface say they are in control, so we have stopped.

“We did not intend to assault Flafelc until we gained control of Wuland. Flafelc, I am delighted to inform all of you is under the control of the Schlogg. They invited us to send a force to the surface to help with the cleanup examine the factories and start the process of Grork disposal. We have enough marines available and the ability to protect them using the reserve fleets if needed. The scientists will join them once they assure us the surface is secure,” said Linda smiling. “Lisirra, we have never fought battles where a fifth column does so much. Many thanks, you saved many lives and prevented damage to ships and equipment.

“Jason, I have considered her situation. I will support her application to join the harem without an undue wait in the queue. I doubt her father will permit you to court her as you are such a pervert,” said Linda.

“It is a pity as her mother has her wedding dress ready, but I agree her father will not allow the marriage. You consort with insects and machines. Oh, I forgot Lisirra is a machine,” said Sheila giggling.

Lisirra blushed a deep crimson. “My father will permit Jason to court me. He seems to like him despite his perversions,” said Lisirra, “and the dress is lovely, it will be a wonderful wedding.”

“I will drag you horrible lot away from weddings and onto important business! We will now move on to Wuland where we face two hundred and fifty enemy ships,” said Andrea.

“Our scouts found a reserve fleet hidden in the solar system of Wuland. The reserve adds one hundred ships to the ships near Wuland. The allies are attacking the reserve fleet. Our moon ships and Ghoul Titans are joining us in the onslaught on Wuland,” said Andrea.

“Your teams are ready in our ships with psychic projectors. The vessel will allocate targets to all of you.

“You guys can knock out the bigger ships. You are working quickly,” said Andrea. Our psychic projector has made more difference than even the dogs made, and they are a real gamechanger.”

“Yes, but Lisirra ensured the Schlogg can take over. The Schlogg freed themselves from the Grork, step by step using her plan and poisoned the remaining Grork progressively. We are all benefitting from her long-term strategy and brilliant tactics. The Schlogg as a fifth column is of great help. But, it is certainly not all over, the Grork are fast learners, and I expect surprises, dirty dealing and ambushes. We have been lucky so far,” said Jason. “What is happening next?”

“Jason, complimenting me will get you nowhere. I know your sneaky techniques. Let us get on with the business and keep to the task!” Lisirra remarked snidely.

“Our Schlogg will communicate with their colleagues fifteen minutes ahead of the attack,” said Andrea, “There are sixteen defense platforms. The Allied special forces have infiltrated and placed explosives on all the enemy platforms. This planet has no moons. Our allies have brought twenty-five platforms to attack the enemy, as needed. We are leading the attack. Greffecht is assisting me and then Linda as we start the ground assault. The Gromelix are assembling in the hangers preparing to participate in the assault, and they are being led by Gen. Corvus. Jason, you decide when you guys go. You have two assault frigates to carry your horrible lot. I am expecting another Grork reserve fleet to appear after we commit, so we go in with a few more ships than they have to start with. We are keeping the big ships back to cover us if needed. I want to suck the enemy in. I do not want to start the ground assault until we can knock out some of the formidable defenses or be sure the Schlogg are in control,” said Andrea.

“How do the Schlogg communicate when we have blocked all communications?” Jason asked.

“Our people have given them tight-beam and Lazmo communications which we linked to chemical transmission, and we have given the Schlogg the protocols for the interface to your ships. Jason. I have been working with the Schlogg for nine thousand two hundred and fourteen years,” said Lisirra. “We needed a strong ally to help us with the last bit, or it would have taken another ten thousand years to finish the job, but now it is all coming to fruition.”

“Please explain what you did,” Jason asked.

“It is a long and complex tale. I will tell you once we have some time and I will tell you the detailed story,” said Lisirra.

“We will be in the system in two minutes. Get ready you two,” said Andrea.

Jason and Lisirra looked at the hologram, with Andrea. Two hundred and twenty ships were protecting the system. “I am blowing the platforms now!” said Linda. “There is a shield over the city.”

“I am moving us into range for you guys, please link into the ship and get ready. We move in ten seconds, watch the clock. I have designated targets for you and the other ships.”

Jason proceeded to knock out the projectors on the enemy ships and ignored the minds seeking him out until he finished. He then started on the easiest first. He entered the minds of the last five and was surprised. They were hosted by Una. He interrogated the Grork quickly but did not find the ground defense plans.

The last Grork was the senior admiral. Jason found him a difficult opponent. He pushed into the admiral and was pushed out. The Admiral forced his way into Jason. Jason battled to push him out and counterattacked. Jason felt his nose start to bleed and he had the beginnings of a headache. The Grork was powerful, he pushed and was pushed back. Memories of techniques learned in the simulators came to mind. They continued to attack, defend and counter attack. The Grork was skilled and very old. Suddenly he launched a potent offense and entered Jason, who felt an oppressive, heavy feeling and felt weak. Jason thought of the Azayal fighting philosophy. “Fight until you can do no more, then find that little bit extra and win at any cost. You never give up, you never give in, you win because they lose hope when they fight you.” He fought back and started to make headway. He pushed with all his strength and again entered the mind of the enemy. He faced a vicious counter-attack from her. His headache worsened. He created a containment structure in his mind as Lisirra taught him and pushed her into it and slammed the door shut. He began to explore the function of the Grork and found the way it implanted itself in the host. He played with it until he withdrew the tentacles that held her to the Host. He heard himself panting with the effort and felt his blood dripping from his nose. She frantically pushed her way out of her enclosure, but he felt her weakening. He violently struck her and pushed her back in. He withdrew the tentacles, and the Grork fell from the host. He entered her memories to search for the plans of the Grork. Her host poisoned her as she lay on the ground.

“I am done, and I am washed out,” said Jason.

“Jason you have blood pouring from your nose and your eyes are bloodshot. Please go to medical, both of you look terrible,” – Linda sat looking at them, her brow furrowed and wringing her hands- “How are you doing Lisirra?”

“I finished a few minutes ago. I feel shattered. I have nothing left. Linda, I am as weak as a baby. We must go to medical for a recharge. There is no way I can go down to the planet in this state. I hit some powerful, nasty minds. Jason, there is some kind of trap they are setting for us on the surface,” said Lisirra.

“Yes, I got the same information, but they don’t know what it is. Someone called Pericles is setting it up. I also encountered Grork hosted on Una,” said Jason.

“Let’s go to medical and get ourselves sorted out. I encountered a Grork hosted on some species I don’t know,” said Lisirra.

“You don’t need to hurry; the surface is hot with activity. I will update you quickly before you go,” said Linda. “We have ships to board. We are working on the shield around the city. I don’t like the sound of a trap for you guys. Let’s knock out what we can and give the Schlogg an opportunity to do what they can. We are prepared for biological and chemical warfare. At some stage, they will try it. We have had Schlogg communications from the surface. They are fighting the Grork, and they are trying to get the shield down. They will send us locations to target telepathic attacks. There are continuing antipersonnel explosions on the ground. There is some activity in the deep vaults. They are ideal locations for the nasties.

“Emperor, you and Lisirra should not risk going to the surface,” said Greffecht Leptomor the Ordreg Warlord. I have a less vulnerable form and heavy armor. The ship enhanced my trans-dim powers. I will go to the surface in your stead. For now, I would like to link to the Ship and try and seek out Grork minds and kill them to clear the way. I am hardly vulnerable to attack in this form.”

“Thank you, Greffecht. We may well take you up on your offer. Go ahead and link to the Ship. We will see you all later.”

Jason and Lisirra tiredly walked the three hundred feet to medical. The last fifty feet was a chore. He greeted the doctor who led him and Lisirra to a pod. “Emperor, the ship will connect you to a being called a Teokraeus. It is a captive on the planet and is known to Ship. It is known as Ooryphyon. Ship says it is a secure telepathic communication, but you are not at risk. They were well known to the Uzliumbax.”

“Lisirra, that must be the being with which you were in contact!” Jason remarked. “I can recall positive feelings towards the Taokraeus, but nothing else.

“Ship connect both of us to the Taokraeus please,” asked Jason.

Jason found himself in a comfortable pod and settled himself on the soft pad. He felt a compelling presence approach his mind. It gently asked if it could enter his mind. He permitted its entry, and he joined the psyche of the Teokraeus. He found himself in a massive mind, which felt very different. He saw the birth of suns and galaxies forming, he saw himself as a child on Earth. Suddenly he felt disoriented and looked up. He saw a man and a woman looking down at him and smiling. They spoke Uzliumbax and were dressed in understated, beautiful clothing. He saw himself growing up with the Uzliumbax and then snippets of his life. Again he was disoriented and was surprised by a strange humanoid entity with a massive head next to his father.

When he heard the telepathic voice, it was powerful, stronger than any other he could recall and it boomed loudly before the creature moderated it. He felt the being was amused at his reaction to the image.

“Emperor, we are well known to your people. You saved us from tyranny and captivity. We lived with your people for an eternity. I was captured during a battle with the Grork, and I have been a captive for 1.3 million years. I face punishment and starvation daily.

The Grork credit the success they have had since they captured me to my help. The vile Grork torture me to use my skill, and they are convinced I am an Oracle. The common Grork worship me. I have specific expertise. I can say which course of action will lead to what consequence. I can balance several choices and select the best alternative. I cannot lie, I can only withhold my opinion. If I withhold my contribution, they hurt and punish me.

“The complicated one Lisirra is with you. She formed a sound plan and pursued it. She has extraordinary perseverance and has accomplished much, but a complex mind filled with contradictions. I have felt her presence for ten thousand years. She approaches and dances away.

“I am delighted she has finally found the necessary forces to save the Schlogg. She has such contrary views but the best of intentions. She will be at her best when she is with you as was her great-great-grandmother who was of a similar skittish temperament.

The Leader of the Grork, the Pericles, Yemsor Jeloos, the foulest of the foul wishes to draw you into the vast vaults. He has a new weapon which he will use to attack you. He will paralyze you if he can and use you as his instrument. He can escape from the vaults and catacombs easily. He has built several alternative methods of egress. He means to leave here to a sanctuary on another planet.

Pericles selected a planet which he has named Yektapok, which means salvation. He has sent his family and close colleagues ahead of him accompanied by a small fleet. The Grork plan to rebuild themselves once more. Yektapok has been a contingency for thousands of years. Several billion Grork are held in stasis, and several hundred thousand Grork are settling into the planet and plan to activate them. They are sending bodies they have kidnapped of several species but also captive Schlogg and Una they grew in isolation from their peers to serve as hosts.

“I have provided the location of Yektapok to Ship of this planet. Emperor, they do not know Yektapok was a planet of the Safion, and it has a planetary AI hidden there. This planet can present a dangerous risk to the alliance.

“The Pericles will use himself and me as bait. If necessary, he has told his peers he will sacrifice himself, but he considers it is unlikely to be essential for him to lose his life to kill you. I am deep in the vault. Do not come to save me, you will die or become his pawn. The odds of success if you try to rescue me are bleak. Send only non-biologicals into the catacombs where the Pericles hides. You must gain control of the repositories as they are essential to the future of many species.

The Pericles is the Supreme leader of the Grork. He holds information known to none other. He is at most risk when he is in the crypts. He is hosted on a Una who has not fully recovered after the conversion to be a Grork host. The activity in the vaults is an illusion. Few if any high-value Grork remain on the core planets. They aim to capture you if they can. They will use you as a key to gain control of resources they believe are essential to them.

“Warn your allies Grorkin is one big trap for them. It has three planet destroyers below the surface poised to tunnel to the planetary core when your forces occupy the planet. I will sacrifice my life to ensure the evilest of the Grork are destroyed.

“Yektapok is too valuable to be destroyed. The Grork have not had time to establish defenses on the planet. Safion bodies may also be in vaults as they are on Porquenta. I have a bomb in the room with me. If the Pericles dies so do I. If he leaves this place without me then I die. I am in an enclosure from which I cannot escape.

Ooryphyon sent a picture of himself in a room in an enclosure. Ooryphyon pointed towards a one-foot square box next to the transparent enclosure. He looked exactly like the being with his family. He had a massive head on a humanoid body with a short fur. His arms and legs were emaciated and bent. He had cup sized oval eyes.

“Thank you Ooryphyon. Are there planet destroyers on this planet or on Flafelc?”

“No, they intend to recapture both planets as soon as they can. The crypts hold their greatest treasures. They could not take them with them. Flafelc is a valuable industrial planet which they will retake when they can. The Grork are never in a hurry. They plan over millions of years.

“Ooryphyon how did you survive your captivity?”

“Survived is the right word. I am in an enclosure too small for me. I cannot stretch my legs, and they are permanently bent. The Pericles loves to torture me. He asks questions, and I provide him with an answer. If I refuse, he hurts me,” said Ooryphyon.

“How did you keep yourself going?” Jason asked.

“Taokraeus live for millions of years. Every day I hoped to live long enough to know the Grork were defeated and eradicated. Hope helped me survive. The days were long. The Grork had many successes in the last million years. I felt the pain of every success they enjoyed.

“Lisirra arrived, my heart soared when I understood her plan. She had been working on the SchIogg loved her ideas, but I feared she would not be able to find the necessary allies.

“She never doubted she would do what her father asked her to do. She found it difficult to communicate with the Schlogg, but together they came up with a plan.

“I listened to the evolution of the ideas with great interest. For the first time, I felt the Grork species were going to receive what they dished out to others.”

“Did you influence the plan?” Jason asked.

“I didn’t need to play a role. Lisirra and the Schlogg did well,” said Ooryphyon.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.