Mel - Cover

Mel

Copyright© 2019 by Sam

Chapter 2

Now Cpl Anderson’s words got me to think. ‘She is cute, really cute; and all this time I never noticed.’ I thought to myself. ‘I wonder what else I had missed. I put Marcy back into Bin 66, section N-3, row Z in my memory bank destined to be a memory before the next day. Right, not so easy but I tried. It was a nagging reminder that Mel would have been worse, Mel, I had almost forgotten about her.

By the time of my discharge I had forgotten about them both. I had some college due me now so back to U of P, this time nearly done with my second semester courses. My Cell still worked and could not see paying $1,456 plus $123 monthly for the latest and greatest handheld washing machine, toaster and microwave Apple brought out, thank you very much. It was off to find an apartment near the school I could afford.

Life has a funny way about itself. When that old cell sounded off I expected a call telling me my Windows subscription had expired (Gang, no such subscription, a scam) or I had won he Irish Sweeps and only needed to pay $777 for someone to claim my huge winnings for me. (Another scam)

Nope, upon Hi!, I recognized the voice and knew who it was. I hung up on Marcy saying something unkind in Arabic or some rag head curse like that. Got to give the girl credit though, three more times she called before the threats started.

The one to call my mother got to me. I would rather speak with Marcy than live a victim to that woman having my number knowing I was still alive. “Oh! Hi Marcy, I thought you were a bill collector, I checked and that $12,76 is in the mail already. Nice talking. Bye!”

Damn, not quick enough I guess.

“I need your help!” ‘Okay fine’ I thought. “What was that Marcy, you caught some kelp! Are you calling me from a boat? I left the Navy so don’t know much about fish wherever you are.”

It would have worked, I know it would of had not her mobile bloodhound not tracked my phone’s GPS and she was tapping me on my shoulder. I would have told her off then and there had not I looked at her and determined exactly the words Cpl Anderson spoke, she was damn cute. Too long at sea and no one left at home made Jack very lonely.

“Is that an empty coffee cup you’re crushing by your cell Jack?”

“Why no Mar, I had tea. How did you find me?”

“Daddy has his ways and Nils tracked your GPS signal for me. Thank You Nils!” int”Wait, don’t you need him to get you home?”

“You can take me, right?”

I guess this was the moment, it was now or never. I guess years of doing whatever and whenever she and wanted anything I would drop everything and just comply.

“No Mar. No can do! I have an important date to watch paint dry in my new apartment. Actually it is on 5th street and not new or fancy or even all-fixed up yet, but it’s new to me. Don’t call me, I won’t call you. Chow!”

I should feel good, right? Wrong, I felt like crap. It was just another of the many times I looked back and thought of what I should have said. This time at least I said nothing of the sort to her but meekly walked away. It was progress though.

I look back at times to various situations like that, thinking ‘If Only’. That and $10.55 plus tax and tip gets me a medium Starbucks’s double lattes. I hate their coffee but you get my meaning, don’t you?

The episode I just told you about happened like 42 years ago. There were more, too many more but that one stands out because things went downhill from there.

‘Who was to blame?’ I ask myself that question thousands of times as I lay in my bed, alone and waiting to die. I want to blame a myriad of people, places even things for my life or as it is, but ... it all comes back to me I guess.

Hate to admit it, it’s so much easier to blame someone else. My friends should have ... Wait a sec, Friends, isn’t that some TV show? I don’t have any friends to speak of. Always was, am now and will be alone.

Maybe in the next life that will change. Whats that you say? No! Not possible, it’s unfair if ‘that’s all there is’. Isn’t it?

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.