Good Medicine - Sophomore Year - Cover

Good Medicine - Sophomore Year

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 69: Busted!

May 9, 1983, McKinley, Ohio

"Is something wrong?" Kristin asked on Monday morning.

"What do you mean?"

"It just felt as if you were somewhere else last night when we were fooling around."

I had been, because once my sleep deprivation was past, I had basically obsessed over the bishop's comment about 'choosing' and the myriad of possibilities I had to choose from, AND the potential problems each of them might create. What he had said about serving at the Cathedral and in other parishes only drove home the point I'd made to Janey about potential trouble with the bishop, even if she wasn't attending Holy Transfiguration or Saint Michael the Archangel.

Even more complicated was the fact that Angie would be at Saint Michael, and irrespective of anything else, I'd more than likely be giving her rides to and from church. And if she asked to start praying with me again, I'd have a serious decision to make. I didn't want to encourage her if she wasn't truly recovered, but I had no way of knowing if she was or not. 'Minefield' was the word which came to mind.

It wasn't only that which had me preoccupied but what I'd said to Clarissa about Kristin. Sleeping alone for the week, I'd realized that she truly was simply warming my bed and providing enjoyable sex. But that was it; there really was nothing else. That feeling had confirmed my thoughts about our relationship, such as it was, but I'd decided to wait until after exams to say anything so as not to cause unnecessary drama.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I was totally out of sorts because of lack of sleep and lack of eating and was just beginning to recover when we went to bed last night."

"It felt like you didn't want me to be there."

"I invited you," I said gently. "Let me get back into the normal swing of things, and if you still feel this way, then we can talk about it. OK?"

"Sure," she replied, not sounding convinced.

"We have time before I run, if you want to..."

She smiled, and we did our usual slow dance, and I made sure I put my heart into it. I felt a bit guilty, but I truly didn't want to mess up her final exams, which were only a couple of weeks away.

"Are you bored with me?" she asked when we got out of bed twenty minutes later.

"No," I said, realizing that even trying to put my heart into it hadn't been sufficient to overcome the vibe I was giving off.

"But you want to break things off, don't you? Well, stop screwing, I guess."

I took her hand, and we sat back down on the bed, still naked.

"It's something I've been thinking about for a while. It really started when one of the girls asked me if I was sleeping with anyone but her, and I caused a problem between us because I refused to answer the question."

"Is this because of Angie?"

I shook my head, "No, this is totally about me. It was triggered by other stuff going on in my life. Things might be different if you were willing to consider becoming Orthodox."

"I know. And the one thing coming to your ordination convinced me of was that I could never, ever join your church. Don't get me wrong, it's cool if you want to do it, but it's not for me. I could never upgrade from 'groupie' to 'girlfriend' because I just can't do that."

"You're not upset?"

"It had to end eventually, didn't it? Mike, I like being with you, but in the end, you were going to find a girlfriend, and then it would have to stop. I don't regret you being my first fuck, and if I had to do it over again, I'd want it to be you. It's really up to you if you want to stop now, or at the end of the semester, or sometime in the future."

"I don't want to seem as if I'm taking advantage, so you really do have to decide, even though, in a sense, it's up to me."

"You're not taking advantage! But, if I said 'end of the semester', could we leave open what happens in the Fall?"

"It's that good?" I grinned.

Kristin laughed, "I think so! But then again, my sample size is 'Mike Loucks'! So, end of the semester with an option to come by for an occasional slow dance or good fuck in the Fall?"

I grinned, "I'd be a fool to say 'no'! We'll worry about the Fall in the Fall, OK?"

"Sure. Wouldn't you rather fuck than run this morning? I mean the energetic kind, obviously!"

I chuckled, "I don't think it burns as many calories, but you do make an enticing offer!"

"Then throw me down on the bed and fuck me silly, Mike!"

I was more than happy to oblige.

May 10, 1983, McKinley, Ohio

"How about we all get together after lunch today to work on this?" Fran asked as we left our final lab session for the semester.

"I'm OK with that," I said. "I'm skipping karate until after finals."

"No objections here," Jason said.

"As if you would object to ANYTHING Fran asked?" Pete said, shaking his head.

"He knows the playground closes if he misbehaves," Sandy teased. "It's one of our primary advantages!"

"Assuming the playground is open in the first place!" Pete groused.

"Things not going so hot with Vickie?"

"We broke up last night. Same issue as it's always been."

"You could just give her the ring, you know!" Fran said.

"That's just it; I'm not ready to get engaged. I mean, I think it's fine for you and Jason, and I don't think Jason is being stupid, but I'm not ready yet, and I wasn't sure Vickie was the right girl."

"Then I don't see how you had a choice," Clarissa said. "She's been asking for a ring for months now, with the obvious promise of sex if you gave it to her."

Sandy moved next to Pete and slipped her arm around him, "I think I know where you can find an open playground..."

Clarissa and I exchanged a shocked look, as Sandy and Rudy had been hot and heavy since Melina's party back in February. We both shrugged and let it go as Pete put his arm around her. When we arrived back at the dorm, they quickly disappeared.

"What just happened?" Fran asked, laughing softly.

I shrugged, "No clue. Jason?"

He shook his head, "I didn't see THAT one coming. Of course, nobody saw Fran and me, either."

"I guess Rudy just got kicked to the curb," I replied with a grin. "Unless I miss my guess, Sandy has a new source of stress relief."

"We won't see them at least until lunch, if then," Jason laughed.

We all put our books away and then hung out in my room, where Sophia, Robby, and Lee joined us.

"Where's Sandy?" Lee asked.

"She found a new playmate," Clarissa replied with a silly smile.

"Who?" Sophia asked.

"Pete! He broke up with Vickie last night."

"About time," Sophia said, shaking her head. "Vickie only cares about her MRS degree. She's a Freshman, and he's a Sophomore, so it's WAY too early to worry about that. Well, except for Mr. and Mrs. Cleaver here!"

"At least you didn't say 'Brady'," Fran laughed. "Six kids is OUT OF THE QUESTION!"

"One will be MORE than enough for me," Sophia replied. "A medical career and more than one kid is tough to swing. As it is, I'll have to time it right or wait until after Residency."

"Don't look at us," Robby laughed. "All you breeders worry about overpopulating the planet and taxing us more for the privilege of allowing you to do it!"

"The deduction for having kids bugging you?" Clark asked, coming into the room just then, followed by Kristin.

"Not just that! Single people subsidize kids in many ways," Lee complained. "It's not exactly fair. And there are so many legal advantages to marriage which aren't available to us. And it's not like anyone is going to let us get married to get those advantages. What about you, Clarissa?"

"I think I might want to have a baby at some point, but Sophia's right about how difficult it would be during medical school or Residency."

"While all you doctor-types are increasing your debt, I'm going to make big bucks in Silicon Valley!" Kristin said.

"Oh sure, rub it in!" Clarissa replied. "Kids?"

"Probably two, eventually. I don't have the constraints the rest of you do. Once I get my degree, I'm a free woman with a big salary and no debt!"

"Hmm, I might consider going straight," Robby laughed. "I think I might be able to be a kept man!"

"Says Mr. 'Dual Income, No Kids'!" Sophia laughed. "You guys will get your Master's degrees and have two professional salaries and no kids to spend them on!"

"Jealous?"

"Not enough to ask Clarissa on a date," Sophia laughed. "No offense."

"None taken!" Clarissa replied. "Scandinavian girls are cuter, anyway!"

Glenda's background was Norwegian and Swedish, as anyone who saw her blonde hair, blue eyes, and soft features could tell.

"Hey!" Sophia laughed. "There is NOBODY hotter than a Greek girl! NOBODY!"

I purposefully looked around the room, whistling sillily.

"Care to dispute that, Mr. Loucks," Sophia asked, her eyes narrowing.

"I plead the Fifth Amendment on the grounds that any answer I give may serve to hasten my death!"

Everyone laughed.

"Well, this SICILIAN girl begs to differ," Kristin declared emphatically.

Robby and Lee looked at each other, smirked, then laughed.

"I think a contest is in order," Robby grinned. "And Mike should judge!"

"This is going to quickly spiral out of control!" Fran protested.

"Shush!" Jason laughed. "I want to hear this! What would the competitions be?"

"If you think you're getting involved in this," Fran threatened with a menacing look, "you better pack your things and get them out of my room!"

"Oh, let him have his vicarious fun," Sophia laughed, then turned to Robby. "What contests?"

"Hmm," Robby grinned. "Striptease. Oral sex. Regular sex. And freestyle!"

"Freestyle?" I asked.

"Whatever the girl wants to do to win, I can't imagine you'll object. It's her chance to show off!"

"I think this might be a bit much," I grinned. "We'll just let the two of them argue!"

"Spoilsport!" Lee laughed.

"I think it's lunchtime!" Fran declared, causing everyone to laugh.

We all got up and started heading for the elevator, but Sophia grabbed my arm and held me back.

"Did we upset you?" she asked.

I shook my head, "No, not at all. There are two concerns, really. One is me; that is just not my kind of thing. The other one, and the one that's more important, is it would violate our agreement about what we do. You warned me it was too dangerous, and I'm not going to do anything that would cause either of us trouble."

Sophia laughed softly, "A guy who refuses the best sex he'll ever have, hands down, because he doesn't want to upset me! You're a good man, Mike Loucks!"

"Are you really that good?"

"You have NO idea," she smirked, with a twinkle in her eye.

May 12, 1983, McKinley, Ohio

"How are you doing, Mikey?" Liz asked when I called home late on Thursday afternoon.

"Good. How are things there?"

"Pretty good. Want to hear something REALLY weird?"

"Sure."

"Tasha and Janey were talking after Pascha on Saturday night, and it wasn't a catfight."

"I'm not sure 'weird' is the word I'd use," I replied. "I think 'dangerous' is more like it! And what were you doing at church?"

"I went to make Mom happy. As for the girls, I got the picture they were apologizing to each other, but obviously, I didn't hear what they were saying."

"I'm not sure if that's good or bad."

Liz laughed, "Maybe after dating my idiot brother, they decided to be lesbians!"

"Hardy har har!" I said sarcastically.

"Are you still planning on coming home on the 27th?"

"Yes. I finished my last exam that morning at 11:00am and I was going to stop at Jocelyn's house before I come home so I can talk to her mom."

"Did you have plans for Friday night?"

"Not yet. Why?"

"Will you take Mindy, Maggie, and me to dinner and a movie?"

"I could."

"Cool! I take it you're going to see Janey and Tasha?"

"I need to call Tasha as soon as we're done. I'll call Janey on Sunday afternoon. I was surprised to see Maggie on Saturday morning."

"I know, right? She called on Friday night and said she wanted to go, so Mindy picked her up. Emmy really wanted to be there, but you told me Clark was going to be there, so she decided it was a bad idea. She's decided to totally stay away from him."

"I think that's best," I replied. "Honestly, if she moves out of the house when she graduates, then she can do anything she pleases, but for now, living at home, she has to be super careful."

"She's going to Taft, I think," Liz laughed. "So you know what would happen then!"

"It's sixteen months for now," I said. "Anything can happen. So what did Maggie say about church?"

"Other than being totally freaked out and having to fight the urge to run out of the nave screaming in terror? Nothing!"

I laughed, "That's more or less the reaction I expected. Mom said Dad was like that the first time she brought him to church. I was happy you were there, Lizzy."

"You know what I think, but I wanted to be there for you. I did like the bishop teasing you!"

"So did he!" I chuckled. "Did you see Angie's face? I couldn't because of where she was standing."

"She didn't laugh, but she didn't scowl, either. I was surprised that both Tasha and Janey laughed."

"Why? They both know the general situation. Laughing at the bishop's joke made sense; talking nicely to each other scares me!"

"Good luck, Mikey! I'll say nice things at your funeral!"

"I told Clarissa we should run away together! You know, go to medical school in some foreign country."

"Well, that's ONE way to keep from getting killed!" Liz laughed. "And from getting laid!"

I smiled, though I was happy Liz couldn't see it. If Liz really knew how Clarissa was thinking and what we had already done, she might well have a different opinion. I certainly did, but even I wasn't sure.

"Since when did my sex life become YOUR concern, Lizard Breath?"

"Ever since I could tease you about it without it feeling gross. We both know we're not virgins, and neither of us is a pervert, no matter what that stupid bitch in Columbus said."

"Do you know how happy I am we're as close as we are?"

"Me, too, Mikey."

We said 'goodbye' and then hung up. I immediately picked up the handset again and dialed Tasha's number. Her mom answered and called her to the phone.

"Hi, Mishka!" she gushed.

"Hi! All alone?"

"Yes! Mom said I could have some privacy. Congratulations! I'm sorry I couldn't hug you. The cassock, you know."

"I totally understand. Are we going to be able to see each other?"

"Mom says yes, but Dad hasn't given his ruling. Mom says he's stuck because he wouldn't be able to explain to the bishop how he could accept your apology and strongly support you being ordained and then deny us the chance to see each other."

"I was very surprised when Vladyka told me your dad had spoken to him afterwards."

"Think about what it would look like if he refused to accept your apology."

"A good point."

"I also apologized to Janey for the things I said to her. And she apologized to me."

"Good," I said cautiously.

Tasha laughed, "Relax, Mishka! Mom pointed out that it was neither Christian nor lady-like to treat her that way. I approached her during the Paschal feast. I should have done it sooner so I didn't have bad feelings in my heart. But everything is fine now."

"I'm glad."

"Just one important thing, Mishka. I know she's going to be at the Cathedral, which is not either parish. If you see her, you have to do anything with me you do with her!"

"Tasha..." I sighed.

"Thank you for confirming what I suspected," Tasha said firmly. "I am NOT happy with you, Mikhail Petrovich!"

I knew I was in deep trouble. She'd put me completely at ease and then maneuvered me into admitting something — an admission which was going to cost me dearly, one way or the other.

"Clarissa and my sister are right," I replied carefully. "I am a «глупец» (glupys) and a «придурок» (pridurok)." ("blockhead"; "moron")

"Because you did it? Or because you got caught?"

"Because I got caught, obviously. I won't lie to you about that, Tasha. I'm sorry."

"For doing it? Or for getting caught?"

I took a deep breath, "For deceiving you."

"You should be! I knew you were dating in McKinley, and I knew such a thing was possible because you had already done it with Jocelyn! But a girl in our own parish? Do you think so little of me that you flaunt such behavior in public?"

"You know that's not true," I protested weakly.

"How do I know that? If I hadn't seen you kissing her that morning, you would have continued behind my back, making a laughingstock of me! Do you take me for a total fool, Mikhail Petrovich?"

"No. I'm the fool," I admitted, waiting for the hammer to drop.

"You need to decide which you want — sex with an easy girl who requires no commitment to make love with you or a possible future with a proper Orthodox woman who would willingly give herself to you in every way if you make a commitment. Think about it, and I will speak to you at Vespers on Saturday night, the weekend you are home."

"OK," I replied dully.

"One more thing, Mikhail Petrovich."

"Yes?"

"I love you, even if you are an «глупец» (glupys)." ("blockhead")

"I don't deserve you," I replied.

"If you understand THAT, then perhaps there is hope for the future. I will see you in ten days."

We said 'goodbye', and I hung up, then went to sit on the couch next to Clarissa.

"Busted?" she asked.

"Busted," I confirmed.

May 14, 1983, McKinley, Ohio

"So, now that you've had some time to think about it, what are you going to do?" Clarissa asked as we cuddled together on Saturday morning.

"Saint George's Medical School in Grenada is sounding better and better every day," I sighed.

"I take it you'd like some advice?"

"From you? Always."

"Now, I'm simply going based on what you've told me and the short time I got to talk to Janey when we were together on the double date, but I think you should just end things with her."

"Seriously?"

"Seriously. My take, and I know I've had exactly one romantic relationship in my life, well, besides whatever it is you, and I call what we have, but it strikes me that Janey is waiting to see if a better offer comes along."

"I'm not sure that's still true," I said. "She asked for a second chance to see how things would go."

"Well, if you DO see her, even without having sex, you're completely writing off Tasha, and I don't think you're ready to do that. Are you ready to do that?"

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.