The Food Desert - Cover

The Food Desert

Copyright© 2019 by qhml1

Chapter 24

I woke up in the hospital. I’d been hit just under my shoulder, going through the ribcage, hitting nothing vital, although I nearly bled out.

My whole family, including my biological mother, was there. She cried on me, glad I was safe, but the rest cried with me for Sandy. I was there five days before I got up and dressed. The nurses freaked out and called the doctors, all trying to reason with me.

I stood as tall as I could and looked them in the eye. “My wife is being buried today. I intend to be there. Try to stop me and I’ll sue this place into oblivion. We clear?” It helped that I had Michael, Miguel, Jose and Dan with me, each giving off the cop/street-thug glare.

They compromised, giving me a portable IV and sending a nurse along with me.

There was a collective gasp as I walked into the church holding the IV stand, with my entourage hovering in case I stumbled. The place was so packed people were standing in the aisles and they parted slowly as I traveled to the front. All whispers ceased as I approached the casket. She looked just as beautiful in death as life, an expression that could only be described as serene on her face.

I was crying silently as I approached, and as soon as I saw her they became a flood. My heart broke all over again. I leaned as close as I could to her ear and whispered for about three minutes while Jose and Dan held me to make sure I didn’t fall, before I stood and they helped me to the pew. No one ever knew what I said. That was between me, her, and God.

I broke down a third time when I saw the tombstone the family had chosen. “Sandra R. Moore, Beloved Wife and Mother.”

I don’t remember the graveside service or the wake that followed. One family member or another was at my side the whole time. When it was over I went home, only to be completely reminded of her presence. It took three months before I finally allowed her things to be packed up. I’d taken the pillowcase she’d slept on the last night of her life and sealed it, bringing it out on her birthday and our anniversary, inhaling her scent until it finally faded completely.

My family ran the businesses and allowed me to grieve for six months. Then one day Mom showed up at my door. Not my biological, but Ms. Chen. Biological Mom showed up a week after the funeral, telling me I needed to come home, sell my businesses, and lead a normal life among my family and the right people. I nearly lost it.

“What family? I notice you didn’t attend the funeral or even visit the funeral home. Nor did any other member of my family. My true family made the arrangements and at least one of more have visited me daily. Thanks for the offer, Mother, but I’m fine where I am.”

It was over two years before I saw her again.

True Mom hugged me, then gave me an earful. “It’s time you went back to work, honey, and joined life again in general. Your son graduates in three months and you need to be there for him.”

I thought about Mickey. He’d really liked Sandy, and when he found out she was pregnant he was overjoyed. He and, then girlfriend, Ashley were eager to be babysitters, saying it would be good practice for later. They sat beside me during the service, one on each side. Mickey was a pallbearer, along with Jose, Dan, Miguel, Michael and Connie. Seems she had really been impressed with Sandy.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.