The Food Desert
Chapter 23

Copyright© 2019 by qhml1

I had just returned from one of our talks. It had been a good session and I was on top of the world when I walked in to the restaurant. Sandy and I ate lunch together nearly every day, a standing date. Her bulge was obvious, and her regulars asked for updates, often. A few wanted to hold a shower for her, and she responded by inviting them to the one the Grandmothers were planning. She’d just won Restaurant of the Year from the city, and I promised to hang a copy in my office alongside the awards I’d won over the years.

A couple of young guys followed me in but I paid them no attention. Her prices were reasonable enough for most all to eat there and it was always a mixed crowd. I didn’t realize anything was wrong until I heard a gasp from her hostess. A shotgun boomed.

I turned slowly, glad Sandy was in the kitchen. There were two of them early twenties or late teens. You could tell from the looks on their faces that at least one was high and the other needed a fix, judging from the way his hands were shaking I slowly raised my hands. The boys started screaming about this being a robbery and everyone needed to stay cool.

“All right. Everyone needs to be cool. Ginny, open the till and step back. It’s only money.”

She did what I said, and one slung the shotgun over his shoulder and started shoveling the money into a bag. The other held what looked like a military rifle, waving it in the general direction of the patrons.

Sandy had been in the freezer when the shot rang out. She looked thought the kitchen doors and was out before she thought. “What the hell’s going on here?”

It wasn’t a shout, but it was pretty damn loud. Sadly, she had a large knife in her hand and the kid with the rifle flipped out. It was fully automatic and he nearly cut her in two emptying the magazine. I rushed for her even as the other guy was screaming for me to stop. I felt the bullet strike me and it knocked me forward. I slid until I was next to my wife. The light was going out of her eyes but she smiled, whispering “I love you” through the blood that frothed around her mouth. Then she was gone. I went into what can only be described as a blind rage.

I rolled over. The guy with the rifle was trying to seat another magazine while his buddy was yelling at him to leave. He had the bag of money in both hands.

I don’t even remember drawing my pistol but I felt it buck in my hands as I put three rounds center mass into the rifleman. The other guy didn’t hesitate, running towards the door. I got one shot off and he staggered but kept going. Then I crawled until I could hold Sandy in my arms before passing out.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.