The Food Desert - Cover

The Food Desert

Copyright© 2019 by qhml1

Chapter 20

I was in the middle of contract negotiations for a third and fourth store in other cities. Michael and Miguel had given up any active part in their respective social organizations, and both had associate business degrees in business management specializing in the food service sector. I’d used the grandmothers and extended family to push them into the situation but truth be told, it didn’t take much.

Miguel was the point man in one city, Michael in the other. I did visit both twice a week to review progress and suggest things. Ms. Chen was their guide and between us, we kept them on an even keel. They had traveled with me before, knew the ropes and did really well. They were vice-presidents of my corporation.

They had learned from watching us, and could speak with a professional demeanor. If things got stressed, though, they sometimes resulted to attitudes and behaviors learned on the street.

One contractor called me, pissed beyond words. “I refuse to deal with street trash! They have no idea how business works and I will not be dictated to like this.”

“Let me ask you something. If you found out someone was trying to steal from you, would you be polite? Or would you take charge of the situation and get the thief eliminated? That’s exactly what they’re trying to do. We discovered your deal with the suppliers and tradesmen to pad costs fifteen percent. I know we have a contract, but I’ll let you out of it if you voluntarily leave. Balk, and the unions, cops and lawyers get involved. You’re lucky they didn’t kick your ass on general principles. You have one day.”

One of Ms. Chen’s lawyers who just happened to also be a CPA found the hustle. It was Miguel’s project, but as soon as he found out he called Michael for support. It did not go well for the contractor. He will never realize how close he came to a first class ass kicking. As it was, he did withdraw, leaving a lot of workers pissed and unions asking pointed questions. Any project he bid on in the future would be examined very closely.

Those two would make a total of five, in three states. I was getting in over my head. I promised my wife when she hit four months I would put all expansion plans on hold unless my group could handle it without me. She said I should still work and I told her I was working, on the biggest project of my life: learning how to be the best most loving father and husband humanly possible. Of course, she responded by crying.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.