The Food Desert - Cover

The Food Desert

Copyright© 2019 by qhml1

Chapter 19

We went home and settled into domestic bliss. She still ran her restaurant and I was checking into another store location across the state line. My schedule was much more flexible than hers so I adapted to it, making sure we got to spend every moment we weren’t working together. Our first anniversary was approaching and I asked her if there was any one thing she desired, so I could get it for her.

In answer she took four days off and we rented a cabin in the mountains, laid-in supplies, and rarely left the property. We didn’t spend it all in bed, there were trails to hike, and we spent a day skiing, but there was a lot of lovemaking. We were snuggled together under blankets the last night, watching the fire crackle. I was idly playing with a nipple when she sighed and took my hand.

“I’ve thought a lot about what I’m about to ask you. If you truly want to give me something, this is all I desire. I’m 31, you’re 35, and my clock is ticking. I’ve wanted to be a mother all my life, even more than being successful in business. If you truly mean what you say about giving me anything, this is it. Will you make a child with me?”

She didn’t know it, but she’d hit on my fondest dream. I loved Mickey, but I got him late, so I never got to experience late-night diaper changes, the terrible twos, teething, watching him learn to walk and talk or grow as a young child. I wanted it more than any success I could achieve.

She mistook my stillness for reluctance and tried to change the subject. I put my fingers to her lips. “Shhh. Don’t spoil the moment. You’ve just made me very happy. I vote you throw the birth control pills away, forthwith!”

Sandy giggled. “Forthwith?”

“Absolutely, forthwith. I’ve always wanted to use that word. Seriously honey, the sooner we start, the better. I don’t want to try to chase them around with my walker.”

The blanket slipped down and I’ll never forget the look on her face. Lust, love, and something deeper, primal, the urge to continue the species. “The only time you’re going to need a walker is tomorrow. After I’m done with you, we’ll be lucky if either of us can walk right.”

Making love to Sandy had always been great, but that night took it to a whole new level. A stray thought popped into my head as she rode me, now I know what a male spider feels when he’s mating with a Black Widow. She consumed me.

It took five months, but one day I came home to find her sitting at the kitchen table, crying. Since she was so emotional, I wasn’t very concerned. Sandy would cry at the drop of a hat.

I sat down beside her, hugging her to me. “What’s wrong, baby?”

She tried to talk several times before giving up, sliding something across the table. I picked it up and my heart exploded. Blue lines on a little stick. We were pregnant!

I tried to form words, but I must have been around my wife too much, because all I could do was cry with her. It was a hour before we could talk rationally.

“This is just a home test, honey. I’ll be seeing the doctor tomorrow to make it official. I’ll call first thing after I know.”

“No you won’t. I’ll be going with you tomorrow.”

I was gently rubbing her tummy. She grinned. “You can’t feel anything yet. You know I test myself every two weeks, so this is fairly recent. It’s a boy, though. I can feel it.”

I pretended to frown. “I was hoping for a little girl. If it is a boy, can we try again?”

Her smile got wider. “Yes, I’d like to have one more and I hope we get a set, but if they’re both boys, or girls, I’m sure we’ll love them just as much. Two’s my limit, even though I’d like to have a houseful. I’ll be 33 by the time I’ll be pregnant again, and that’s a little long in the tooth.”

I agreed instantly, not willing to risk her health or that of a child. Two would be plenty.

The doctor confirmed the good news the next day, set us up on a regular schedule of visits, gave us information on different birthing techniques and classes, and sent us on our way.

I wanted to wait a while to disclose the news, but she told everyone at the monthly family dinner a week later. All my grandmothers, my Chinese mother and father, and most of my friends dissolved into tears. When we announced if it was a girl it would be named after the woman who started me down this path, Grandma Greely almost fainted and found herself surrounded by three generations of women, none of who were related to me but everyone as much a part of my family as any blood relative. Sandy wanted the middle name to be Rose as a tribute to her late mother. Celia Rose Moore had a definite ring to it.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.