The Food Desert - Cover

The Food Desert

Copyright© 2019 by qhml1

Chapter 12

Enough was enough. The next day I was standing outside the restaurant when it opened. I was made instantly, but when a guy in a waiter suit came by and suggested I leave, as there was a private party in progress, I asked him to tell Mr. G the Grocery Man was there, and would like a few minutes of his time.

I was sweating bullets when the man came out and motioned me over to a table.

“You are full of surprises, Mr. Moore. The last thing I ever expected was for you to walk in the door today.”

I sighed. “I came to see if I could get the killing to stop before it gets really bad. Those boys aren’t going to give up anything without a fight. Neither am I. Your actions have focused attention on all involved. It might get uncomfortable for you, being under so much scrutiny. The last thing this city needs is another killing.”

He didn’t bat an eye. “Why are you telling me these things, things I already know?”

“I’m just clarifying positions. They won’t give up without a fight. I won’t give up without a fight. Will all the bloodshed be worth it? More importantly, will it result in greater profit? Despite how you conduct it, it’s still a business. How profitable will it be when all the money is covered with blood?”

“You know it isn’t that simple.”

I rose. “It is to me. Well, I can say I tried. Think of your families, this will be an eye for an eye type of war. Lots of people will die, and the need for blood will never be quenched. Let’s stop it now. It’s only a very tiny part of this big city. Let it go.”

I rose, thanked him for his time, and walked out the door. He called out to me just as I touched the handle.

“It’s not up to me. I just give all the information I can to my bosses, then we run cost analyses, to make sure any action we take is profitable. This could get very expensive very fast, and expenses without returns are not good business, no matter what line of work you’re in.”

“So then, peace?”

“No. Truce. If my people don’t take my suggestions, we will proceed. If they do, then we have peace, at least for a little while. It’s the best I can do.”

I walked back over and stuck my hand out. He seemed surprised, but took it after a few seconds. His grip was firm without being overpowering, a good sign. Too strong meant aggression and an attempt at dominance, too soft and it made you suspect their sincerity. A brief, firm shake meant he acknowledged you as an equal and someone worthy of respect.

I told Miguel and Michael the war was on hold, and to try not to do anything that would spark it off again. I also passed along what Jose and Dan had told me.

“You’re under the microscope now. The killings and violence have gotten the powers that be watching a little more closely, and the new DA and Mayor both got elected on promises to make the city safer and reduce crime. Be careful.

And boys, if I hear anything, I might give you a call. If I were to say, for example, ‘how’s your Momma doing?’ it means grab everything you can and disappear because they’re coming for you. Might want to make sure you have liquid assets available, just in case.”

I think they were both stunned. They never really answered, just nodded.

The DA did try to make a circus out of the situation, bringing in a task force to deal with the problem. He even made a run at me, saying I was associated with the local criminal element. The community, thinking the store might close, and their jobs would be lost, raised hell to their local Councilman, making it really plain that if I was driven out he could kiss his political career goodbye. He was young and had his heart set on higher office, so he came out in support of me. We even did a press conference together.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.