Municipal Blondes
Chapter 31: Sail away

Copyright© 2019 by Wayzgoose

MY PHONE CHIMED about the time I finished making my statement. It had taken about two hours before I felt like I could talk but they discharged me from the hospital into Jordan’s care with Cinnamon beside me. Everything had been recorded from the wire I wore, so I was able to fill in the visual record as the voices replayed in my ears.


A wake

“This is Deb Riley,” I said when I answered the line.

“Deb, it’s Cali Marx. I just got in. Can we meet for dinner?”

“Cali, I’m so glad you’re here. It’s been a terrible day. I ... Um ... Dag’s cousin Teresia is here, too. Do you mind having a few more people?”

“That would be fine. Let’s cap it at ten. The concierge here says he can get us a table at Trace for seven o’clock. That’s in the W Hotel. And don’t worry about the cost. It’s my little contribution to the memory of my dad. Okay?”

“Great. Thank you for calling, Cali. You’re a bright spot in a dark day. See you at seven.”

It took no time for Jordan and Cinnamon to agree to dinner. I’d already made arrangements to pick up Teresia, who was staying at a much less expensive hotel downtown. I called Teri and she said she was with Geoff watching his team play in Orlando. I didn’t know who else to invite, but on the spur of the moment I asked Mrs. Prior and Lars if they’d join us.


For having such a somber occasion, our dinner was still lively. Cali was a popular young actress and a few people came up to ask for an autograph or photo until the Maitre d’ simply stationed a waiter near us to direct people away. And then we were all telling stories of how we met Dag, what he’d done for us, and how we’d miss him.

Cali told about her mother falling in love with Dag and how they’d planned to get married. The story of the night Cali was kidnapped and her mother died was heartrending but also endearing as Cali said Dag had never missed a premiere of a movie she was in or even opening night of a play.

Jordan knew Cali from ‘the old days.’ He told about how he’d arrested Dag in order to get him out of the office with all the backup disks for the fraud he was investigating. He said that a few years ago they’d worked together to stop the world’s greatest hacker from starting World War III.

Teresia mentioned he’d been through Sweden with his mother a few years ago and was very mysterious about where he was traveling. She’d helped him dye his blonde hair before he left for an adventure in Asia that brought him back three weeks later looking sick and tired. A few days with the family, though, and he’d taken his mother back to Seattle. Jordan nodded and confirmed Dag had erased himself in order to make that trip.

Cinnamon, of course, had a story about how she’d attempted to seduce Dag and when she found out he was with me, had decided on a threesome that never quite materialized.

Lars talked about commanding Dag in the Navy and then waiting for him to show up in class at the college.

I told about tailing him in Las Vegas for three days and having to intentionally blow my cover so he’d discover me. It was also my first introduction to his heart condition as he had an attack that evening.

In all, we talked and laughed all evening and then said our goodbyes. It would be an early morning.


Goodbye, dear friend

People started arriving at my apartment at eight o’clock Sunday morning, New Year’s Eve. Teresia and Cali shared a cab from downtown and seemed like they were becoming fast friends. Teresia had heard Dag mention Cali on numerous occasions. I wondered why he’d never told me about her.

Dag’s high school girlfriend, Rhonda—the one who painted the seascape he loved—showed up just a few minutes before Lars Andersen. Mrs. Prior brought a batch of cinnamon rolls she’d baked that morning—thanks to Pillsbury. Jackie, the barista at Tovoni’s saved the day by bringing enough coffee for everyone and somehow having the perfect drink for each of us. And a cookie for Maizie.

I know there were others I should have invited. When Cinnamon and Jordan arrived, though, we were ready to go. Rhonda knew the exact spot. She’d painted it forty some years ago. I realized the only person in this room I knew six months ago was Lars Andersen, my thesis advisor. How things changed. It was like I’d suddenly entered a new solar system and a new sun is shining and new stars are in the night sky. I don’t know if I’ll ever get used to it.

We loaded the cars—including Dag’s ashes and Maizie—and started the parade to the north end of Whidbey Island near Deception Pass.


It was awkward at times. There were no dry eyes. Hell, I could hardly see to drive up there. The sky was overcast but once we got off the Mukilteo Ferry on Whidbey Island, Teresia and I put the top down on the Mustang. It was just over forty degrees out but we cranked up the heater to the max and the volume on the radio. Maizie joined our singing with occasional howls.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.