Municipal Blondes - Cover

Municipal Blondes

Copyright© 2019 by Wayzgoose

Chapter 24: Guardian Angel

JETLAG HIT ME big time and I had three cups of coffee thick enough to cut with a knife before I got in my rental car and headed southeast. I got a fast car and drove too fast all the way from Zagreb to Split on the A1. The mountain pass wasn’t as bad as I expected but spooky as hell. A five-mile tunnel. Before I took off, I sent a quick text to Jordan to let him know where I was headed. I want him to know, but I don’t want him to get there before I do.


The big lie

It took over five hours to get to Split. Then I decided to enhance my wardrobe a little before continuing to Island Brac where Angel’s villa is. I doubt she knows I have the information on her location. It was part of the details Dag left in his accounting files from when he transferred money for Simon. This place was nowhere near where the money was transferred but Dag didn’t let that stop him from locating it in Simon’s files. The guy was almost as devious as me. Damn him for dying!

But if Dag located it, it shouldn’t surprise me that Brenda knew about it and could track down Angel as well. Nothing is safe from prying eyes.

It’s as cold here as in Seattle, though I don’t think it’s going to snow for Christmas. I’d like to be home by then.

With new clothes and a full belly, I caught the 45-minute ferry to Island Brac.


It was a short trip from the terminal to the villa. When I saw it, I thought I’d reached a dead end. The villa is near the center of an immense stone structure with an iron gate separating it from the street not far from the marina. I wasn’t sure how I’d get in until I walked up, pushed the gate and listened to it creak open. It wasn’t locked. That needed to change.

I walked up the stone steps to a massive front door and knocked.

Angel opened the door after a few moments and I don’t know which of us was more surprised to see the other. I assumed there would be servants; she assumed I was anybody else other than me. We stared for several heartbeats the both broke out in a grin.

“Deb! How did you... ? Why... ? I don’t know what to say!” Angel said.

“You could start by inviting me in. It’s cold out here.”

“Come in! God, it’s good to see you! It’s only been, what, two weeks and already I miss everyone.”

We went into the house and I started to see what an immense place it was inside. It was an older structure but had been completely modernized inside. The furnishings were impeccable, of course. I wondered how much of it had been prepared in advance and how much Angel had done in the two weeks since I last saw her. I couldn’t tell but I had a feeling the place had been prepared a long time ago.

She offered me a club soda and we sat in the living room to chat.

“So, what have you been up to since we last spoke? I was so panicked back then, I wasn’t thinking straight. You should have come in disguise. You’d have been able to fool me completely, showing up here. I’d have never guessed it was you.”

“You didn’t,” I said. “But collecting on the bet isn’t what brings me here. Brenda and the Committee know you’re here and I think they suspect you may be sheltering a guy who is a threat to them.” Angel blanched. “I couldn’t call you, so I came to warn you. They’re sending someone in to clean up loose ends.”

I expected Angel to ask who they thought she was sheltering. I intended to expose how I’d fooled her as James Whitcomb and at least we’d have a good laugh about that. But instead she jumped up from her seat and headed for the door. Before she got there, it swung open and a man walked through.

“I heard,” he said, catching Angel in his arms. “And who is this lovely creature?” He stepped out around Angel to look at me and I caught my breath. I’d only seen photos of him but even though he now wore a full beard and his hair was dyed coal black, I recognized him from the pictures in Brenda’s bedroom I was looking at the very-much-alive ghost of Simon Barnett.

“You!” I gasped. “It’s you they’re after, not me! You are supposed to be dead!”

“Isn’t it wonderful, Deb? I didn’t know until I arrived here and he was waiting for me,” Angel said. “I was as surprised as you. Only, I think I was pretty furious first.

“Not half as furious as I am,” I exclaimed. “You let Dag die thinking he’d killed you. How could you do that? How could you use him and destroy him, you bastard? I’ll kill you myself!” I was a little out of control. I looked for something I could attack him with but came up empty. I just stood there shaking.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.