Municipal Blondes - Cover

Municipal Blondes

Copyright© 2019 by Wayzgoose

Chapter 23: Flight Time

THAT BASTARD’S FOLLOWING ME. That’s the only possible explanation. So, who does he work for really? He wasn’t meeting with the Committee but Jon recognized him as a wanna-be. Is Jordan having me tailed? He could give a girl a heads up.


Headed east

When I got off the plane in Mexico City, looking small as my five-nine can go, the first person I spotted was Ray Hawkins. He was standing behind a pillar in the airport scanning the people getting off the plane. I fell in step with a nice Mexican man and pretended to be talking to him, keeping him between Ray and me.

When I was shopping for flights, I looked for other local airports. Merida was the nearest and it looked like a three-hour drive from Chetumal. Or maybe there was another flight from Chetumal. Whatever, he was in the Mexico City airport watching for me.

Okay, so with luck he was watching for the redhead Riley Finn he met in San Pedro. I don’t think he recognized me but who is he, anyway?

I’m flying first class to Croatia, cost be damned. I sat in the first class passenger lounge watching out the window for any sign he was near. I didn’t see him anywhere but I’ll feel a lot better when I get on the plane to Paris. I bought a SIM at Duty Free and called Cinnamon who was more than happy to hear from me.

“Sugar, where are you?” she exclaimed when I got through.

“Mexico City,” I answered. “What’s up?”

“When do I get to go jet-setting like you?” she asked. “Or with you?”

“I’m sure you’ll get a chance,” I said. “Anything new happening?”

“The office is about cleaned up. Do you want me to keep any of the furniture? I’ve put everything small enough to fit in a box aside for you to look at but there is the torn-up sofa, chairs, and desk.”

“This might sound crazy but I’d like you to hire someone to put them in storage for me. I want to be sure nothing is hidden in anything.”

“Whatever you say, boss. When are you coming home? I miss you.”

“It will be a few days yet. I’m going to visit Angel.”

“That lucky bitch!”

“Cinnamon! I’ve put her in danger and I need to go warn her,” I said.

“Well, Angel always got whatever she wanted,” Cinnamon pouted. “You’d get the same reaction from any of the girls.”

“Honey,” I said soothingly, “when you were cleaning up the mess, did you find the TV remote by any chance?” I’d had the uncomfortable idea gnawing at the back of my mind for several days that if they’d taken the remote, I didn’t know how to get into the vault. I’d been able to reset the servers remotely but I didn’t want imagine trying to get into it without that little device.

“Funny. Yeah. Couldn’t believe they took the TV without it. I don’t think men know how to operate a TV if it doesn’t have a remote.”

“Just goes to show you. It could be a clue, so make sure it’s in the box.”

“Will do. By the way, that nice Jordan Grant came by.”

“Did he now? And what did Mr. Grant want.” I’m sure the satellite carrying our call frosted over.

“I think he wants to ask me out on a date,” Cinnamon said. “He’s handsome.”

“He’s way too old for you, Cinnamon!” I said a little too vehemently. What was I thinking?”

“Jealous?” she teased.

“No! I’m not interested in Mr. Grant. And I won’t date a client. Now why did he come around?”

“He said he was worried about you. Frankly, I’d say you should be worried about him.”

“Why?”

“He was on crutches.”

“What happened?” I was alarmed. Jordan always seemed so indestructible. I still remembered him shooting Oksamma when a second later, Oksamma would have shot me or Dag or both.

“Apparently, he was rushing somewhere early Friday morning over on the Eastside where all the power was out. He went through an intersection where there was no light and someone plowed into him from the side. He’s got a broken leg but said he was all right otherwise. He said if he hadn’t broken his leg, he’d have gone to Belize after you himself.”

“Wait a minute. How did he know I was in Belize? Cinnamon?”

“Don’t ask me. I never said a word. I didn’t confirm your whereabouts either. I just said when you called in, you didn’t say where you were. I played dumb blonde. I think he liked it.”

“Oh, come on,” I said. “Jordan likes strong women with intelligence.”

“Like you, you mean,” Cinnamon said. “Don’t worry, Sugar. I learned my lessons in the Condo well. I’m smart enough to know when to be clever. That’s enough. Besides, I didn’t do anything. But if he asks me out, I might just say yes.”

“All right. Here’s an opportunity for you to talk to him again. Sometime after six-thirty tonight call him. In fact, make it after seven. Tell him you heard from me and I’m on my way to Croatia to visit angel. She’s in danger from the bad guys—or the bad girl. Most of the guys are old and slow and squeamish. All except the one who would have drowned me in the high seas. I’ll let him know when I get there.” I wanted Jordan as backup but I didn’t want to be followed without knowing who’s there.

“You got it. Anything else?”

“Yes. Call Teri and make sure she got home safely, please. She can tell you all about our big adventure in Belize.”

“She got to go with you? Deb-bie...” Cinnamon broke off quickly. “Oops. Sorry Sugar. You can spank me for that when you get home.” I swear she giggled.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.