Municipal Blondes - Cover

Municipal Blondes

Copyright© 2019 by Wayzgoose

Chapter 14: At the Helm

I SPENT THE BETTER PART of the day establishing firm control of the Condo, starting with locking the patio and poolroom doors. Then I changed all the security codes from the entrance to the office door. I finally feel safe. Relatively speaking.


Security

When Davy got to the Condo he was surprised, to say the least. He stepped off the elevator and his card didn’t open the front door. He was swearing so loudly he didn’t hear me over the intercom at first.

“Davy! Calm down and follow my instructions,” I said.

“Who’s that?” he exclaimed, backing up and looking up at the security camera.

“I’m the one who’s writing your paycheck now. You can call me Mr. J,” I said. “I’ll explain it to you when you come in. Yes, I’m going to let you in. But you need to follow your own security instructions. Empty your pockets into the security tray and step through the metal detector.”

He tried to get his knife past me the first time, but the metal detector caught it. He finally deposited everything that could set it off and I closed the security tray drawer and locked it. He walked through the metal detector with no alarm and I tripped the security lock on the front door.

“Come back to the office so we can chat,” I instructed. “I need an update on the events scheduled this week and I have some errands for you.”

Davy was not happy but he was also used to taking orders. In fact, I think he was relieved someone else was running things instead of him. He came directly to the office door and knocked without trying the doorknob first. I buzzed him in and waved him to a chair without really looking at him. I kept my head down, looking at papers in front of me. He sat.

“The place is a mess, Davy,” I started.

“The maids were supposed to be here,” he interrupted.

“The maids were here,” I said. “I’m not talking about the cleaning. I’m talking about the events. The cops dragged out the main computer bank and I’m working with a laptop. Where are you getting the schedule from?”

“The security banks, sir,” he responded immediately. “You can get to it with my security code,” he continued.

“Is your security code tattooed anyplace obvious?” I asked. It was a long shot but tattooed hexadecimal codes were in vogue this year. He looked puzzled. “Just log me in,” I said.

He rose and came around the desk. I slid my chair back and he switched on the security cameras as I watched. I could replicate that. It was obvious he thought he’d been clever. Password, Angel. Rule number one: never use your name, the name of a family member or pet, or birthdays, anniversaries, and social security numbers as your password.

He returned to his seat and I slid back into place. The security camera screen was replaced by a calendar showing the dates of parties. The place had never shut down after our raid two weeks ago. The Saturday night I came to the Condo with Angel, Cinnamon, and Delta for the girls’ party, they had talked about the party season. The things you never know till you ask.

“You did a good job getting things up and running after the little incident,” I said. “I have a lot of faith in you.” I was doing my best CEO impression. Lounging back in my chair was important. Women in big offices sit up straight. Men slouch. I stuck one foot up on the mahogany desk. “Have you heard from any other members of the Committee?” I asked.

“Just Ms. B. She called as soon as ... well...”

“Yes,” I said. “As soon as you were out of jail? Don’t worry. It’s not a black mark on your record in this office.”

“As soon as I was out. She told me to get things fixed up and make sure everyone knew they were to be ready for the first party that Friday. Then she got framed and was in jail for a while.”

“Have you heard from Ms. B since then?” I asked matter-of-factly.

“Yes, sir. I picked her up and took her to the airport when she was free. She told me to carry on until she contacted me again.”

“I’m that contact,” I said. “In order to keep everything straight, Ms. B gave me a lease on the Condo so I could manage it in her absence. I don’t expect we’ll hear from her soon. But hey! Together we’ll get through the holiday, right?” I asked. A little camaraderie made Davy relax and even smile a little. “I’m representing the Committee while I’m here and we just want things to go smoothly. We don’t want to draw any unwanted attention but should things heat up, I’m here to take the heat. A federal agent is watching everything that goes on in the Condo, so I don’t want to raise any suspicions.” I paused and looked over the calendar on the screen. “Isn’t there a Committee meeting here soon?” I asked.

“No sir.”

Davy was short with the answer. He acted like it was a test and he was answering according to the stated rules. I smiled.

“Good man,” I said approvingly. “Now, here’s what I want you to do.”

I went over a number of instructions I’d prepared in advance regarding how the parties were to be handled and my changes to the security system. I gave him a new security code that would open the front door during the hours I felt he should be there. I carefully described what those hours should be. He made two adjustments to the times so he could be there when deliveries were scheduled. I approved and sent him off to do his work. Before he left, we had come to an agreement. My presence would be divulged on a need to know basis and the security code on the office had been changed. No one was to come in or out during parties or in my absence.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.