Municipal Blondes - Cover

Municipal Blondes

Copyright© 2019 by Wayzgoose

Chapter 10: Breakout

THAT MFSOB! If he weren’t dead, I’d find him and kill him myself.


Decryption

I found the combination of 32 characters that, when put together in the right order, made a 512-bit encryption key. If you are interested, it is 15b41d13f8ed2d1e36db00b5e18d2b3e. Here’s a bit of advice. If you get hold of this MF thumb drive, don’t enter the encryption key!

Fortunately, the damage was limited.

I was being lazy and too excited that I’d found a possible breakthrough to be careful. Dag had plugged the thumb drive into Simon’s computer even though it might have an ill effect on the computer. It was isolated behind a million layers of firewall and protection, so we tried. I decided to take security on level higher when I started working on this and did a bit-by-bit copy onto a new thumb drive. It’s just standard. We always work with backups and I think there’s even another in the vault. I hadn’t looked for it, so it was just as easy to burn a new one. I don’t have Simon’s computer now, so I put the new thumb drive in Dag’s laptop.

You have to understand that Dag’s laptop (Lars gave it to me after the hospital gave it up) doesn’t have anything on it but the routines he used to connect to the virtual private network. It doesn’t connect to anything automatically, so it’s a pretty safe clean computer.

I sat in the office carefully inserting the drive, getting the dialog to enter the encryption key, and trying the next one on my list. These are hexadecimal keys, so there aren’t any capital letters. Each character is a number from zero to fifteen. It’s pretty common in encryption keys. But you have to be exact, so I worked slowly. I didn’t have to try them all. I hit pay dirt about three-quarters of the way through the list. The dialog box closed and for a minute I wasn’t sure what to think. I launched a directory window and took a look at the files on the drive. One executable.

Everybody with an elementary education knows not to launch an unknown executable on your computer. I adjusted the directory settings to show hidden files. Voila! I could see dozens of files but they were all still encrypted!

That’s when all hell broke loose.

The screen dissolved into a lot of little dots and resolved itself into a moving tickertape message. The message was juvenile at best.

“Simon says, ‘Find me if you can.’ All the clues are here. Everything you wanted to know. I never expected you to get this far but I’m not making it any easier to uncover the secrets contained on this drive. It’s too bad you’re colorblind, Dag!”

You are dead, bastard. And so is Dag. How dare you taunt me from the grave?

The screen dissolved again and a new message appeared. “Press Esc to continue.”

Everything else on the computer was locked. Nothing responded. I pressed Esc. The message that returned said simply, “You lose! Simon didn’t say ‘Press Esc.’” What a childish game he was playing. Or so I thought. The screen rewrote with rolling text. It didn’t take long to realize it was deleting all the files on the disk, starting with the thumb drive and proceeding to the laptop. It was totally wiped in seconds. I unplugged, disconnected, ultimately had to pull the battery on the laptop in order to stop the action, but the damage was done. I had to reformat the laptop and start it back from scratch. Fortunately, the bios wasn’t damaged. The thumb drive, once destroyed was worthless. It had no file directory on it and showed as empty. I ran a few recovery tools and it’s possible I could have recovered it but there’s no real need to. It was a copy.


It’s two in the morning. I’m going home. I’ll take Maizie with me and go to sleep. At this hour, no one will know she’s there. I’ve got other things to attend to tomorrow.


Travel funds

Some things have to be done face-to-face. I had no doubt that if I simply asked Angel how she helped people move money, I would get a straight perfectly accurate answer that was worthless. Might as well Google it. The only thing I could think of was to take a wad of cash into her office and get cash cards. Except she couldn’t know it was me.

I disguised myself as a male. It took about two hours to get the mustache and hair on correctly. It had to be perfect because I had to look like my ID. This hair was glued on a transparent latex base. It’s a baldpate fringe. When people look for a disguise, they focus on the forehead. A flip of your hair in the wrong direction will show the wig foundation. They don’t see a line at the forehead on me, so they don’t look at the fringe of hair I glue on to look like a man with a really receding hairline. It’s better if I have Stevie help me with this. She’s a master. She’s the most intimately acquainted with my head and my various wigs as my hair dresser and confidant. She’s a former theatrical makeup artist as well and has helped me into any number of disguises. Today, though, I was all on my own.

I suited up in a houndstooth tweed jacket with a turtleneck shirt and a sweater. If you aren’t stacked—as if I’d ever have to worry about that—the easiest way to hide your boobs is with bulky clothes. It’s December and it’s cold out, so that doesn’t look strange. I’ve got an undervest that is padded to fill the valleys and give me just a little more breadth in the shoulders. Don’t forget the fingernails. I keep mine short anyway but make sure all signs of polish have been stripped away and the nails are dull, not shiny. Unless I get strip-searched, no one can tell they aren’t looking at a man. The final thing to add is just a hint of shadow around the cheeks. Even when a man is clean shaved, he normally has hair growing on his cheeks that affects the color of his face. I needed the appearance of manliness that diverts attention away from the narrowness of my nose. Finally, I added a pair of steel rimmed glasses. They’re slightly tinted and make it harder to see my eyes.

When I was done, I checked my appearance against the photo I had on my James Whitcomb passport. I was a match and even looking in the closeup mirror, I couldn’t tell I had makeup on. It was showtime.


I debated a while on the amount of money I should take with me. One of the first things I discovered in the vault was a stash of cash Dag kept for just this kind of operation. There was a lot more than I would need. I carefully counted out $12,000 in hundred-dollar bills. I didn’t want to be too loaded but from what I’d observed at Angel’s office, I needed to have a significant amount of cash to transfer.

I drove over to Dag’s apartment and let Maizie in through the secret door without going into the apartment. I didn’t need Mrs. Prior asking questions right now. Fortunately, she was out and I slipped in and out in no time.

I parked in the Macy’s lot and walked six blocks to Angel’s travel agency. It’s a little mindboggling to walk naturally through a non-great part of town with twelve grand in your briefcase. I elected not to use a bag with a strap because that too often signals a woman. I just kept my head up and strode along with purpose.

I felt a frisson of anxiety as I turned onto her block and disciplined myself not to look around for threats. The best defense is alert confidence. At any rate, I made it to Angel’s door a little before noon.

I was in the lioness’s den. Approaching it from this side of the counter, it looked considerably different than it had when I observed her operation from the other side. She had taken all requests for cash cards into a private office. I approached the counter. I thought Angel looked stressed but the moment she looked up at me, her expression changed to absolute charm and hospitality. When Angel switches on her sex appeal, it even affects me. She’s that kind of gal.

“Good morning. How may I help you?” she smiled at me.

“Morning,” I said quietly. Bravado is not the right mode for me when I’m playing a man. I pitched my voice a little lower and softer than my normal. Angel instinctively leaned in closer. “I need to buy a cash card for vacation. I heard you sold them.”

“You heard right,” she replied easily. “How much would you like to put on your card?”

“Would $12,000 be all right?” I asked.

“Sure,” Angel said, leaning over and flashing an abundance of cleavage my way. No wonder men drool over her. She came back up with a form and pushed it to me over the counter. She seemed to be looking past me part of the time and it gave me the feeling that I should turn around and look at what was outside her window. Instead, I shifted my focus to look at the surface of my tinted glasses. I could see the reflection behind me but no one was there that I could tell. I did see the shadow of two or three people pass by the window but no one stopped.

“You need to fill out this form completely and I’ll need your ID, she smiled. I hemmed a little bit as I scanned the form. This was a government form and I wasn’t crazy about writing down the information they asked for.

“Is there a way to do this without all the paperwork?” I asked quietly. “I have poor handwriting.”

“Are you now or have you ever been associated in any way with any branch of law enforcement at local, State, or National level?” Angel surprised me with the question.

“I got a parking ticket once,” I confessed. “Does that qualify?”

“A simple yes or no is the only answer I want.”

“No.” Angel went from intense to welcoming again. “What’s the big deal?”

“You cannot lie to me about that and use anything we say or do as evidence in a legal case,” she responded. “Even if it is being recorded on a wire.” My mouth worked of its own accord in stuttering denial. “Just hand me your wallet and passport as if we were conducting business normally,” she said, “and then step through the door over here to my office. We’ll complete your transaction there.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.