Cold Days and Lonely Nights
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2019 by Matt Moreau

Drama Sex Story: Chapter 9 - A husband gives his all to save his wife but he is betrayed in the end.

Caution: This Drama Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa  

“He just walked out!” said Herbert Halstead.

“Sort of, but not till after he’d pretty much shit all over me,” said Stephanie Halstead. “He reacted kinda like you said he might. He felt insulted by the token amount of just one million dollars, so he said, but he was being sarcastic. For him money is never going to be enough.

“He swears he doesn’t hate me, but I don’t believe him. He hates me right enough. I’ve just been fooling myself that he would eventually cut me some slack. He won’t and I’m done. And no, I don’t blame the man. But I just can’t deal with his hatred. I just can’t. From now on if I have anything to say to him, it’ll have to be through Barbie, or maybe Melanie or you. He does seem to be able to deal with you three. Okay?

“All I can offer him is money and he holds money in contempt. He actually does!” she said, and she burst into tears. He shook his head in support and a kind of mellow desperation if there were such a thing.

“Okay, calm down,” he said. “He’s just hot under the collar. Stephanie, the man figures he has the right to call the shots after his sacrifice. And, it’s damn hard to argue with him. That patience is not one of your virtues is what it is.

“Yes, you are both forty-seven. So, what. Next year you’ll be forty-eight. That is what it is too. I’ll find the guy, or Red’s man will. I’ll calm him down. I’m going to get him to come back to work as a first step. After that I’m going to get him to talk to me. I have some ideas along those lines, and we’ll see what we’ll see. You may have temporarily given up on him, but you’ll be back in the fold too before long. I insist. I do not want to have to fight the good fight on two fronts. Okay!” he said. She nodded, but it was a frustrated nod.

“Okay, I just don’t know what it’s going to take to get the man off and on. Herb, I owe him so much. Barbie too, and I told him that. But nothing cuts any ice with the man, not when it comes to me,” she said.

“We’ll be getting us an ice cutter depend on it; it’s just going to take time. How much time is the question, the only question,” he said.


“Red?” said Herb.

“Sir, this is Carny Williams. He is a PI. He works for me. I’ve told you about him. He will find your man. And, I don’t expect it will be too long,” said Red Carlton.

“Mister Williams,” said Herbert Halstead.

“Carny, sir, please,” said the youngish man. Herbert Halstead nodded.

“Carny it is,” he said, “but...”

“Herb, I’ve clued Carny about the task. He knows it might be a bit of challenge in the early going, but things being the way they are today, technology and such, it should not be too long in the finding, as I mentioned,” said Red.

“Good,” said Herb. “Carny, there is some urgency attached to this search, so...”

“I understand,” said Carny. “I’ll be on it as soon as I leave this place.”

“Good, good,” said Herb.


Herb: My bud, my lawyer, Red Carlton, was the best. If he said his PI, Carny, could find our man; I knew he could do it. But then there were the questions. Number one: did I really want to find the guy? Number two: did I really want to be married to the woman? Number three: given everything, if Carny did find the guy, what would I do, what could I do? Answers ... Yes, I did want to find the guy. Jack Danson was a real man; the kind of man one doesn’t meet every day. I wanted him for a friend; and I wanted him for an employee; he’d turned out to be the best one I had! Damn straight I wanted to find him!

Next, also damn straight, I wanted to be married to the woman: she was weak, she was unbelievably immature even at age forty-seven, and she was extraordinarily beautiful, no one like her that I’d ever met. It was seriously easy for me to understand why Jack couldn’t get her out of his mind or be around her because he couldn’t get her out of his mind.

And finally, I had no clue how I would handle things once we had found the guy and I got him to sit down with me. I knew I’d be able to do that. The man needed to talk; it’s how he dealt with things. But could I get him to do what he needed to do. That was the big ass question, and it was very doubtful. There was the matter of his daughter: that was a positive. And, though he’d only briefly met him, there was also the matter of Jack Jr. who had been at the Christmas party. I would be trying. Oh yes, I would be trying to build upon that neo-relationship.


It had been a month since I had quit my job and essentially abandoned my life—and my wife, my ex-wife, the beautiful Stephanie Powers. Yes, as far as I was concerned the billionaire she claimed to be married to did not exist. Did I hate the man? No, in another life he and I could have been friends, but accept him being married to her, not ever that. I would be forever sad; I knew that, yes, forever sad.

This motel room was not like my condo, my home supplied by the wife stealer, the child stealer, the life stealer! I did not want his money. I did not want anything from him. I just wanted to be away from him, all of them.

I wondered if they would be looking for me. I was certain the woman had lied to him when she went home, home to her castle, his castle. I wondered if he actually knew that she had come to see me, and if he had; what she was going to say, do, offer me. And, if he had known, if he had realized just how nothing her offer meant to me.

I needed to go to the bar next door. I needed to go there now.


Three manhattans were wonderful things. One was definitely not enough, totally inadequate. But three made everything mellow, tolerable, even the crimes committed against me. There had been so many crimes. Happiness would never be my lot, not ever. That was something I knew for a fact.

I signaled the tender to refill my almost empty third cocktail. I could afford it, for now. I had money. I’d earned it right enough. The man had not given it to me; I’d earned it. He had given me other things, a start in my nothing life once I got out of prison. He had given me that. I recognized that fact. I think that that is why I didn’t hate the man, the real reason. I’d suffered; he knew it, and he’d softened the blow, maybe at her request. I wondered if I’d ever know the truth as to that. My ex-wife was not real good at telling the truth, and maybe not him either, but I was not sure about him.

I was still sitting in the same booth I’d been in when I’d arrived at the bar. I must have dozed off for a minute or two. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. What I couldn’t rub out of my eyes was the image of the man, the reality of the man sitting across from me.

“You!” I said, and yes, I was more or less surprised. I didn’t care, not really, but I was surprised.

“Yes, it’s me. You left your job without having the decency to even call me,” he said.

“And, you or she or the both of you broke your promise to me. I guess we’re even,” I said. He looked down.

“I guess, maybe,” he said.

“How did you find me?’ I said. “Is she here? Am I being sandbagged?”

“How did I find you? Really? It wasn’t even all that hard,” he said. “But, to answer your question, Red’s man did the leg work, so here I am. Oh, and no she’s not here. I knew that would be pushing it.”

“What do you want? I figured my leaving would have clued you that I wanted to be left alone. You know, for real!” I said. He nodded.

“I wonder about that, actually. I’m of the, admittedly unsubstantiated, opinion that you do not want to be left alone. I think you want to be brought in out of the cold, saved so to speak,” he said. I started to laugh. He for his part just shrugged.

“That’s your considered opinion is it?” I said. “Thanks for your interest, really; but, my friend and I, miss manhattan here, are doing just fine.” I raised my glass to introduce the man to my friend. He smirked. It was then I noticed that he had one in front of him; well, it looked like what I was having.

“Hmm, I’ve already met her,” he said, raising his glass and proving my analysis right.

“Look, Herbert, I cannot deal with the woman. She doesn’t get it. You don’t seem to get it. What do I have to do to get any of you to get it!” I said. “No wait. Let me answer my own question. There isn’t anything I can do to get you to get it, let alone her. Seeing her on somebody’s else’s arm, your am, is just beyond me. God damn it; I can’t get by that one. I can’t!”

“My turn to say damn it,” he said. “Damn it, Jack, come back to work. She won’t be bothering you again.” I was twisting my almost empty stem glass around and around.

“How about a job overseas?” I said.

“No, I need you in Tucson. It’s my second most important post. I handle Phoenix myself and you and Melanie and the crew have been doing an outstanding job down the street. You gotta come back. There’ll be a raise in it for you,” he said. I sagged back in my chair, and stared at the man.

“All right, but keep the woman away from me. She’s dead to me after what she pulled. And, I don’t want the raise. I’m making what I’m worth now. It’s enough. I mean it,” I said. He nodded.

“Okay, today is Friday. Just show up Monday. Oh, and your Condo is still yours. I made this month’s payment. You got it from here on out,” he said. My turn to nod. He tossed the keys to the Condo and my Buick down on the table in front of me.

“One more thing,” said Herbert. “I will be keeping the woman away from you. But I need you to allow me to talk to you about her from time to time, and Barbie too. Okay? Oh, damn ‘kay!”

I stared at the man. “Okay, but not her,” I said. I’d sort of capitulated. I really didn’t want to be talking about the woman, but I rationalized that doing so would keep her away from me. And, I was still a broken man. I needed to have me a life at least a warm one, lonely or not. I had money in the bank, a good amount, but not an infinite amount. I needed a job, and cleaning those barroom toilets was too damn reminiscent of Winslow, and not in a good way.


I was back on the job the Monday following my epic conversation with the boss. I did get a pretty good vocal reaming from my immediate supervisor, Melanie Barrios. But apart from that everything was back to what had been normal before my cutting country for the month. And then it was two months of busy ass work later.

I was parking my car on the street in front of the company building in Phoenix. I was there for a meeting. I saw a guy, talking to a woman crossing the street opposite me and paying no attention to the traffic around them. Their backs were to me. A pickup truck was kind of weaving back and forth and heading right at them. I ran as fast as I could and rammed the two fools out of the way. They would have some bruises, but they’d be okay. Me on the other hand? Well, I was assured I would be okay too. But that assurance would only be given to me after I awoke from the coma I was in—a year later.

“Shit,” said Stephanie. “And he’s in a fucking coma too!”

“Yes,” said Herb. “Helluva way for him to be more formally introduced to his nephew. He saved the two of you. You do know that.”

He continued to talk and watch as the nurse tended to his wife’s cuts and bruises. Their son had already been taken care of and was waiting in the room set aside for such out front.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.