2a. Learning - Cover

2a. Learning

Copyright© 2019 by wordytom

Chapter 1

From the first page of the first book he opened, Cody’s whole world expanded. “Oh wow, he whispered to himself. Where before he had gotten all of his ideas on how the world worked from school and TV, he discovered a new world of how to accomplish his goals with simple and uncomplicated methods. His original design was inefficient, too complicated traps and snares vanished. On the first page was a simple line drawing of a snare that caught the prey without bait. This example depended on placement, rather that bait. Humane traps, spring loaded traps, were all represented. He read and learned so much he had never heard of before.

“Wow, did you know you don’t have to make things complicated to make them work?” He did not expect an answer.

He got an answer anyway, when Libby asked, “How so?” She looked at hers as he sat all engrossed in his book.

“Huh?” The question startled him. “I asked you a question.”

Cody brought the book over to the couch and held it out for her inspection. “Look at this tree branch/ See how it is bent over with a moose? One little twig holds it in place and when it trips, The noose jerks tight over the rabbit’s head and he’s caught tight and left dangling. Isn’t that great?”

Libby shuddered, “Very interesting. Maybe you can catch one with it some time.”

“I got enough fish line left on that one old reel I found to make a few different kinds. I’ll go out tomorrow after school. Then, Saturday, when I get up, I’ll check ‘em out and see what I caught.” She gave him a tolerant smile and continued to read her magazine.

“Man, I bet I can feed us and all our neighbors with what I catch. Libby shuddered at the thought.

For the rest of the evening, Cody studied all four of the books he had brought home from the library. While he read, his mother watched his face. She marveled at the way he concentrated on the book in front of him.

Libby smiled to herself as she watched him make tying motions with his hands while studying the way some particular knot wast tied to hold a snare in place. T he last book was packed with information about all the edible plants in the Colorado mountains and how to locate and harvest them.

When his eyes grew too tired to read any longer, he closed the book and stood to stretch. He finally noticed his mother watching him. Libby stood up and hugged him. “I was about to Remind you it was bed time. You look tired.”

Cody hugged her back and said, “I am so dumb. I could have brought in so much more food that I never knew about. I’m sorry, Mom that it took me so long. In fact there are some types of mushrooms that stores will pay big bucks to acquire. Tubers, greens, wild plums and berries of all types.

Honey, don’t feel bad about not knowing about something. I feel so proud of you I could burst. You have already shown the wisdom many adults lack. You became aware you lacked important knowledge and took steps to correct the gap in your knowledge.”

“Yeah, but...” Cody got no further.

1. “Yeah but my ass. All that woulra coulda shoulda crap just doesn’t fly. Young man, you expect too much of yourself. You are a thirteen year old boy; now act like one and go to bed and go to sleep. I’m ready to do the same.” Libby left a stunned Cody behind as she went to bed.

“ow,” he muttered under his breath, “She sure told me.” He snickered under his breath and decided she was right.

The next morning, over cold cereal, Cody said, “You were right. I guess that makes you pretty smart for a chubby old woman with an oversize tail sagging behind her.” He grinned like a little Gremlin.”

Libby’s eyes widened and she took in a deep breath and puffed her cheeks out. “Boy, you are living in quicksand. Wanna see how long it takes you to sink?”

“Well now, that’s a new one. Where did that one come from?”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.