Dungeon Master - Cover

Dungeon Master

Copyright© 2019 by Shaddoth

Chapter 5: Discovery

Three days later Sun and Erina returned with their Battle Slaves. We, that was Ora, Jessica and I, met them at the stream. Seeing the team looking healthy, I was relieved. Kinda. Their packs were full of smoked venison and fresh herbs which meant that it wasn’t them that encountered trouble. We welcomed them back and after a bit of excitement, explained the issue. They wanted to go back out and search for Wen’s team but I forbade it.

Inside, I received Sun’s report; which was basically no traces of any humanoid activity. Nor any monsters of note. Just the normal wild animals and plants we expected. The most dangerous of the bunch were wild boars. Nothing they couldn’t handle.

Their Battle Slaves who went to meet the rested ones were in for a surprise. Beer and women. The beer was reserved for the day after they returned only. The men earned it. Jessica had the responsibility of introducing the apprentices to the foraging soldiers and explaining their new duties while not on missions. Both took it better than Ora was all Jessica would say, when I asked.

My favorite, Jessica, wanted to go out searching for the last team but again it was denied by me. “Nope. No one is going past the stream until they return or a week passes. The area that they are searching is too large for anyone to find them unless they are coming straight back. If they are doing that then they will be here tomorrow or the next day.” Unable to argue with me when I give a direct order, Jessica dropped the subject. Not even mumbling to herself until after I was almost out of ear shot.

I worried too.

It was an anxious two days. Mostly for me. Everyone else had apprentices to care for. When three green dots and one red one appeared in my Menu radar I jumped up and summoned everyone while I ran outside to intercept. Following my own rules, I stopped at the water’s edge until they came in view. Ora was the first in and across the water, followed by the rest of us.

Wen was dragging a sled behind her while the Battle Slave led a small, dirty, green, blindfolded, naked humanoid by a leash. So, someone was injured. Better than dead!

I pointed at the prisoner, “Take that inside. Make sure it can speak to us later.” I told the surrounding Battle Slaves.

“Hold Wen.” I brought out the single light healing potion made by our Alchemist that I carried, and fed it to the unconscious Kola. “Ora take the other end and help her carry her partner. She earned the right to bring Kola home.” I walked beside Wen and made sure she wasn’t injured. I saw no scrapes nor cuts in her armor.

Kola had a blanket over her so I wasn’t sure of her condition. I would have to wait an excruciating ten more minutes. When Wen wanted to give her report I asked her to hold off until we were settled. There was no hurry. The injured took priority unless a conflict was eminent.

Kola had a fever and had been poisoned by one of the Goblin dart throwers. I summoned Guran to treat her before letting Wen report.

“It was a lucky shot. The Goblin hit the vein in the side of her neck with a poison dart.”

“Start at the beginning please.”

“We found traces of Goblins and an unknown large footprint so we followed it and saw a green-gray, ugly, hunchbacked creature larger than an orc with a party of Goblins. We ambushed them with the troll as the first target. None of us worried about Goblins, we didn’t expect the poison though.”

“Live and learn. Continue.”

“The troll had fast healing and great strength but was slow.” Regeneration and strength... I mused. “He killed the Battle Slave, Janue with a back handed blow and our arrows didn’t penetrate his hide. Kola was the one that ended up killing him and then removed his head after, ‘in case’ she said.” Wen glanced worriedly at her partner lying on the cot waiting to be treated by the Alchemist and his apprentices.

“Eight of the two dozen Goblins had poison darts. One hit Kola and one hit one of the slaves in the eye, he didn’t live. From what I saw, all of the throws were aimed high, with wild hopes. Not expecting to hit often. They counted on the poison and lucky hits.” I understood.

“Continue.” I said, with compassion.

“We actually had two prisoners to start the trek back but fifteen wolves found us the next night. We lost the other Goblin chasing them off.

The Menu did have a negate poison potion but as much as I wanted to pull it out, I’d rather have the Alchemist cure her. Morale and what not.

Guran came rushing in and after hearing her symptoms he started to work on her right away. The rest of us waited outside while he and his apprentices did their diagnosis and treatment.

He used this as a learning experience for the kids, which made me feel better. If it were truly serious, then he would not have spent the time to slow down and instruct.

An hour later Kola showed signs of waking.

“She will be fine. Weak for a few days but no lasting issues.” The reduction of tension was palpable for the six of us. Wen thanked him and he left an apprentice to watch the patient with orders on what to look for before he returned to his lab.

I ordered a bath and food for Wen while Jessica and I went to see our prisoner. Thinking it over, I summoned Ally to assist also. A mage might be useful with this.

Four Battle Slaves guarded the prisoner. The four-foot-tall Goblin had pointy teeth, an ugly rat face and a shockingly sweet body odor.

He was too clean and had no scars besides the large bump on his temple. I looked over the olive green naked creature cowering in the corner. The thick black fingernails weren’t quite claws but had enough thickness to be worrisome. Same as the toenails. He even had a fat pointy nose like in the games. At that point I wondered how the movies made them so close to this version? He was thicker all around than the Goblins from Lord of the Rings movie, but still recognizable as the same species.

“Someone get me a mug of ale with a quarter glass of rum in it and some meat.”

I sat down across from him wordlessly, waiting for the food to arrive. When it did, I took a drink from the ale and a bite from the sandwich. One thing Wen did mention was that she hadn’t fed the creature in the last two days.

“This is good. Want some?” I offered him. He nodded aggressively.

“I’m Boss Jones.” Greenskin leaders are always boss something. “What is your name?” I cut a corner off and pushed it to him. Since his hands were tied behind his back, he leaned into it and messily chewed it.

“Me Gumb.” It proclaimed.

I gave him a drink of the spiked ale which he noisily slurped. “Who is your Boss?”

“Boss Skank. Him WarBoss.”

NO WAY! I was stunned silent.

Describing my old roomie including the ring of interlocking skulls tattooed around his neck, but adding a green hue and not forgetting his shrill voice I inquired if that was its Boss. Since all my scars healed I expected his had also.

“Ya. Dat Boss Skank.” He agreed. I gave my captive more of the spiked ale.

I am going to soo kick his ass. “Does he have orcs?” ‘Ya. Many orc.’ I held up two hands open. “This many?” he shook his head no. “Finger and toe.” He only had three fingers and a thumb on each hand so sixteenish. “trolls?” I held up my hands again and pointed to one. Same with my question regarding the number of Ogres. “Does he have any other Greenies?” ‘lots of Gobbos’ “Any shamans or other bosses?” ‘Gobbo Shaman. No boss.’

I ordered another sandwich for him. “Did you get intruders in your home?” he denied that.

I brought out the map that we had been making. “Where is your home?” he didn’t understand the map and I couldn’t get a coherent response.

“Someone get Gumb some clothes, even a sheet with a couple holes in it works.” I turned him and cut his hands free.

“Stay in room and do not make trouble. I will send you home in a day or two.” He nodded vigorously and promised to be good. Repeatedly. None of us believed him for a second.

“Four guards on the door at all times. No excuses. He is not to be harmed unless he attacks or tries to get out. Bring a bucket and feed and water him. Mage Evenglow and Jessica with me.”

No one commented. They understood that I got more out of the session than they did. Perhaps even as far as knowing the WarBoss.

Once alone, “I know this ‘Boss Skank.’ Could be good, could be bad. I had changed since becoming the Commander here. I’d wager he had too.” They both listened attentively without commenting. Thankfully. I held up one finger and let my thoughts coalesce.

“The Skank I know is wild, undisciplined, reckless, self-destructive, intelligent and a gambler...”

Still preventing either from saying anything, I continued to think aloud. “He probably will not attack me IF he knows it’s me... 75% -ish. Unless he is sure he has overwhelming power and even then, he will hesitate. He is in debt to me for many things in the past. And part of his creed is to pay his debts. I can use that against him.”

“Jessica, if you were to fight an Ogre on ten different days at full health, how many times would you lose? Account for luck.” I posed to her.

“Once, if he got lucky and I got unlucky. Ogres are faster than trolls and just as strong. But their weapons are large and slow. Kola easily beat a troll. It was the poison that felled her.”

“What about two Trolls at once?” ‘Same result as one Ogre.’ She estimated. “Two Ogres?” She made a disgusted face. ‘Seven out of ten wins.’ Hearing that I felt much better about dealing with my old roomie.

“Mage Evenglow. What are the abilities and power level of Goblin Shamans?”

“Curses and fire spells. They are weak but curses can change a fight.”

“And their fire spells?” She pointed at my Arc Pistol. ‘About the same as that in a small blast.’ My pistol was not weak. An area of effect with that damage would be bad. “How often can he cast Fireball?”

“Five times at most.” She considered, “The curse it could cast once per minute, maybe ten times. I’m not so sure on that, compared to the full effects or the strength of their attack spells.”

“How do you compare your lightning bolt?” I needed reference.

“My lightning is much stronger.” She said confidently. “Five times or more, stronger.”

At least twice was my guess despite her boast. More than enough for most. “How many lightnings to kill an Ogre?”

“Two.” A definite answer. Probably accurate. Maybe her lightning was four or five times stronger after all...

“How many Goblin shamans can you fight at once and easily win? Easily.”

“Seven or eight easily, I have my Mage Armor. The don’t.”

“Even if all of them cast curse on you?” I asked for clarification.

“Mage Armor spell counters effects of their curses.” Ah. Very helpful.

“The curses that will wear the Mage Armor down unless I can kill them fast enough.” She warned me.

“Commander, you are ignoring orcs and you shouldn’t.” Interjected Jessica.

“How so?”

“Orcs are strong and smarter than the rest of Greenskins. They even can wear good armor and use good weapons. Each is a match for our Battle Slaves. The slaves are more skilled but lack the strength of Orcs or the equipment.”

“Then they are his hidden gem.” Thinking it through. “For now, I prefer not to go to war. Our defenses are not good enough if the humans attack again while we subjugate the Greenies. I could make more sentries but planned to gather my strength and improve life here first.”

“If it weren’t for the possibility of Humans invading, I would see to ending the Greenies. Instead let’s take advantage of their boss’s weakness. Gambling.”

“Here’s what I plan on doing. Tell me what you two think...” Neither had an issue believing in their strengths. Too much so, I thought. Time would tell how deserved it was.

Jessica had a counter proposal...

...

The captured Goblin behaved himself for the two days. The sole Battle Slave survivor got priority with the courtesans as I choose to call them, along with a day of relaxation. Justly earned.

Letter in hand, a small group of us left for the location of the battle. Wen and Kola had charge of the defenses along with new helpers.

Two days later we arrived at the initial contact site. I cut the Goblin loose and removed his blindfold before handing him the scroll tube, a dagger and some copper coins. “Give this to Boss Skank. You are free to go.” He took the scroll and ran off before we changed our minds and killed him.

Originally, I planned to give him a week. I wasn’t sure how long it would take the Goblin to return home and if he even brought the scroll with him, let alone Skank getting it in one piece. Too many variables.

Five days later I received word that a mob of Greenskins was headed this way. According to the hunter, another of the countless of worker classes; our guests consisted of four Ogres, four Trolls, six Orcs in leather armor carrying large axes and forty Goblins.

Trolls were six feet tall, wrinkled, regenerating, creatures that used their claws, fists and teeth to fight. Ogres were large body humanoids who used clubs and stood around eight feet, while Orcs were larger than humans and could wield any weapon and wear any armor. The only worries about Goblins were a lucky hit with poison and a hidden Shaman or three. Or five.

Unless he knew the particulars of my Sentries, all he would see were three pavilions with bronze columns holding up the tarps at ten feet. My Battle Slaves were obvious and I had five female attendants. One obviously a mage. My Soldiers were instructed to keep their weapons and shields hidden for now.

“Let them approach. Remember the purpose of this meeting. Jessica the Bowl of grapes, please. And yes, I do know that you will beat me later.” I grinned at her.

Sheesh, 25 DP for a sedan chair to lounge in. What do they think I am? Made of points or something. Stupid system.

A wiry, tall Orc with a great red Plume; his hair, not his helmet, approached my camp with Greenskins following according to size; Ogres right behind him and Goblins last.

I didn’t get up. I just lounged there and let Jessica feed me grapes. Greed and envy were among Skank’s weaknesses. So too was lust.

“Dude, you’re blue and have babes. So unfair.” He called out. I pointed to Ora to bring Skank a chair and place it under the second Pavilion mirroring mine. With two sentries standing on top of each other at each corner and three in the middle, even the Ogres could easily walk under it.

“You are the one that chose Green, not me.” I mocked sticking out my tongue, intentionally acting juvenile. “The plume is cool though.”

“Ain’t it?” He stroked his overlarge, brightly colored Mohawk with pride.

“Marcus. Beer for our guest please.” Skank looked at it suspiciously for a second before taking a health gulp. “Dude I won’t poison you, sheesh. Besides you still owe me, remember?”

“Fuck you. I paid that back.” He rebutted.

“Dora Ann...” Our arguing back and forth for the next twenty minutes told me he hadn’t changed much. For me it seemed childish. Another consequence of becoming a Feran?

I wondered what my soldiers thought of our exchange.

After we settled down without either side admitting a debt, Skank asked. “So, what did ya bring me here for?” Huh, his syntax changed. Could it be from acclimating to becoming a Greenie himself?

“I was not happy with your Greenies. They attacked my foraging party.” I said while recieving a grape from Jessica. How she restrained her killing intent, I didn’t want to know. My bill would be huge later.

“Gumb told me they were ambushed.” He protested.

“Dude, it’s a Goblin. You believed him?”

He narrowed his eyes in speculation. By not answering my question, it seemed he did.

“How about a wager or two. How does that sound?” I baited him.

“Now ya talking!” Again with the ‘ya’ hmmm... “What’s da bet?”

“Some fights between my troops and yours. One on one.” Seeing his expression, I knew he bit on my offer.

“You want your guys to fight my guys?”

“Sure, a human guard vs an orc.” He called out to the Orcs behind him, and one stepped forward. Then with a lot of gestures he, probably asked the Orc’s opinion.

The Orc snorted and grinned. “I kill human.” The Orc boasted.

“Since you are agreeing, how about 200 DP? I choose one of your Orcs and you choose one of my Battle Slaves. Fair?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.