Wild Woods - Cover

Wild Woods

Elder Road Books

Chapter 13: To Have and to Hold

Continuing the Search

Gee sat in the rocking chair holding baby Genesis and giving her a bottle. The baby sucked hungrily while staring at him. He sang little nonsense songs to her as they rocked. Nearby, Nina, Salome, John, and Jane played a card game, laughing at the play. Karen brought Gee a glass of wine and set it on the side table.

“I guess you can have wine since you aren’t actually nursing her,” Karen giggled as she kissed his head.

“I think our girl has had enough,” Gee said. Gen spit the nipple out.

“Oh, good. Give her to me for the after-dinner burp.” Karen spread a cloth over her shoulder and took the baby, patting her gently on the back and cooing to her. Gee looked up to see Salome standing next to his chair.

“Will you feed my baby when it’s born?” she asked softly.

“Yes, of course,” Karen said.

“And you don’t want sex? I will do that if you want. You feed me.”

“No, Salome. What you have experienced in your life is not what real life is supposed to be. We’ll love you and care for you, feed you, give you a place to sleep that is warm and dry. We’ll treat you like our daughter and it is not the role of parents to have sex with their children. Nor to order them to blind obedience. It might take a while for you to understand your limits and we’ll protect you while you grow into the young woman we know you will become. But no one is going to force you, ever again,” Gee said firmly.

“I wish you had been my master,” she sighed.

“Oh no, dear,” Karen said. “It is not about having a better master. It is about learning to master yourself. Don’t worry. You’ll learn.”


Gee’s time in the woods was more limited as his wedding approached. He now had five children living under his roof with Karen. Six if you counted Timmy, who often joined the others for games in the evening. He returned to the Patriarch Sunday night but did not hear so much as a rustle of wind in the branches. Still he was comforted by the presence of The Tree. Monday morning, he stopped by the foresters’ office before heading home.

“We know there are others,” Jonathan said. “Jessie and I spent the night at a drop point near one of the cabins Friday night. Nothing. But when we toured the survival kits Saturday morning, two had been torn open. Food, socks, and the moccasins were gone.”

“The moccasins were a great idea, Gee,” Jessie said. “We’re putting moccasins and socks in every survival kit.”

“So far, every child we’ve found in the woods has been barefoot,” Gee said. “They walked a long way to get here.”

“Why?” David asked. “Why are the children coming to the Wild Woods? You’d think the place they were abused and brainwashed would be the last place they’d want to return to. And how do they find it? How do they even survive to get here?” David scrubbed at his graying hair with both fists, looking as frustrated as all of them felt.

Gee looked at the head of the Lazorack Family and thought back to his first meeting with the gruff man near the mill. In just eight months, David had aged. Grayer. Wrinkles created deep-set lines around his eyes. The burden of the Forest his father had left him had been doubled by the burden of the Wild Woods and the acts revealed there.

“Does the Forest speak to you, David?” Gee asked softly.

“I ... don’t know what you mean. Do I hear voices? No. Do I stand around talking to the trees? No. Is there a constant tugging at my heart to be here, to protect the Forest and never leave? Yes.”

“I think that’s what the children feel as well. A constant tugging at their hearts to be here and never leave,” Gee sighed and sat back. Over in his corner with a book and ever-present cup of coffee, Gabe just nodded. “They don’t remember the specifics of how they were abused before they awoke. There are triggers. None of them like the cabins. They’re afraid of the evil men. But they think of the trees as their protectors and the Wild Woods as their birthplace.”

“Evil men,” David sighed.

“It’s the term the children used to describe what they saw. And then they saw us. We tore down the fence. We crashed through the woods, cutting paths and making noise. We invaded the space they came to be safe in. How could they tell if we were good or evil?” Gee asked.

“And what changed?” Jonathan asked. “John, Jane, and now Salome have all come out of the woods with you. How did they know you were one of the good guys?”

Gee pondered the question for a minute, stroking up and down the walking stick, the cool smooth wood a comfort to his hand. He looked at the spot where he’d carved the rune from his worry stone.

“I wish I knew what it means,” he said softly. “Well. I guess we just keep waiting and watching. Be present. Bring food. What else can we do?”

“Your crew was here Saturday,” Jessie said. “We had them work on preparing the path to the Patriarch for the wedding. They’re good kids and want to do more. I wish we could use them to stay in the woods at night.”

“I’d agree but I don’t want to be responsible for teens sleeping out in the Wild Woods. I should talk to them and explain what’s going on,” Gee said.

“They’ve responded well to your previous conversations,” David said. “They’ll surprise you.”

“I’d better go home and make sure the bride knows I’m still alive,” Gee laughed. “She worries about that sometimes.”


Painting the Future

“Gee, I know you are busy with the children and preparing for your wedding, but could you spare some time to come up to the hospital and visit a lonely and broken-hearted person?” Adam asked over the phone Wednesday morning.

“Of course. Who do you want me to visit?”

“Rena Lynd.”

“Ah.”

“There was a flurry of activity after she woke up. First Mead and Sheriff Johnson wanted her to positively identify Deacon as her assailant. Then the feds came in to verify the information. She drew pictures of him and that solidified the case. Then the excitement trailed off. It’s been three weeks of sitting alone deciding if she would live or die. And then she asked to see Pastor Beck.”

“Oh, no. She didn’t know.”

“No. She wailed when she was told he was dead. Blames herself, of course. Gee, she was getting stronger but now I’m afraid she’s lost the will to live.”

“I’ll go see her today.” Gee disconnected the call and sat to think. He’d first met the cashier at the Market when he started working there. A bold, flirtatious young woman with pink hair and a determination to embarrass Gee. He could tell she was taking some kind of drugs. It was only after she had overdosed and gone out of control in the stock room that Gee found she was using the fantasy enhancing drug, Lustre Plus.

While Rena was in rehab, she’d shown her talent as an artist, doing police sketches. When she was released and disappeared, nothing was heard from her until Karen got a call the day she was kidnapped and Rena was pushed into the quarry.

Gee wondered how he could help her. She’d fallen in love with the pastor of her church, been betrayed by him and sent to the woods, and then sent him away when she awoke from her coma. How could Gee help mend this broken person?

Karen had gone shopping for school supplies this week and Gee thought she had gone a little overboard. He was thankful, however, when he finally found what he was looking for in one of the bags. Gee pulled on his coat, shouldered his small pack, and gripped his walking stick as he headed to the hospital.


“Good morning, Rena.”

“Gee?” She turned her head away from him as he entered her room.

“How are you doing this morning?”

“Fine.” It was obvious the conversation was going to be difficult. Gee took a deep breath.

“I want to apologize for the part I’ve played in your misery,” he said. “I tried to do the right thing but that doesn’t always seem to work out the way we planned. I’m sorry.”

“What? That’s stupid!” Rena nearly shouted. “You tried to save me when I overdosed. You tried to find me when I was in the woods. You saved Lance when he crashed in the river. You and your stick and your children ... woke me up. What do you have to apologize for? You can’t help being the Antichrist.”

The statement was so incongruous Gee snorted trying not to laugh. Rena was so startled she looked at him and then allowed a small laugh as well.

“I’m sorry, Gee. I don’t know what to think any longer. I’m confused and alone and I just want to die.”

“Rena, life is not always fair. Many people were deceived. How can we get you strong and healthy?” Gee asked.

“How can I ever get what they did to me out of my head?” she sighed.

“There are others struggling, too. John and Jane were treated by Dr. Jones and Pastor Beck. So was Salome. The three little children were boxed up under a load of stone to be sent to Georgia. You’re not alone.”

“What should I do?” she whispered.

“I wonder if you would consider helping me with a project. I’m writing a book of children’s stories set in the Wild Woods.”

“Why would you set stories for children in that awful place?” she asked. “They drugged me and raped me. I never want to think of it again!”

“Yet, the children are returning there. After all they underwent, this is where they awoke and where they have returned to reclaim hope. All I’m asking is that you take a look at the story and think about pictures you could draw,” Gee said.

“I don’t have...” Gee handed her a sketchbook and box of colored pencils from his backpack, along with his manuscript. “I guess I do have materials. I’ll look, but won’t promise. I don’t have anything else to do and nowhere to go. Why are you trying to help me, Gee? I made life miserable for you. I accused you. I injured you. I believed all the stories Lance told about you. Why are you still nice to me?” she asked.

“Your life is precious. How could I try to save the children of the Wild Woods and not you?”

“Kind of a turn the other cheek thing, huh? You won’t fight back,” she sighed.

“I don’t think that’s quite true,” Gee said. “I believe I would defend myself if attacked physically. But words only have the power we give them.”

“Give me the manuscript and leave,” she commanded. “I want to draw something.”


Here’s to Your Journey

Thursday and Friday were barely contained chaos in the Evars/Weisman household. The children had become intensely interested in the wedding. Nina, having received a birth certificate showing her date of birth and the name Renee Lisle, petitioned Judge Warren to have her name legally changed to Nina Evars. Jane, John, and Salome were happy to have the last name of Evars and as far as they were concerned, the wedding would make them all officially a family.

Raven took charge of coordinating the reception, which would be held in the mansion. The guests in the Wild Woods would be limited to family, Family, and immediate circle of friends. But after the formalities, much of the town would stop by the reception, just for the chance to see inside one of the Family mansions and catch a glimpse of the mysterious children of the woods.

Gee’s crew, wanting to be involved, had worked after school cleaning the main path to the Patriarch so it was wide enough to use the ATVs to transport guests from the foresters’ office. The older youth would shuttle guests to the Patriarch and return them after the ceremony.

When the final RSVPs had been tallied, thirty-one people would attempt to gather under the canopy of the Patriarch as Judge Warren performed the wedding.


Mead was about to leave the office and lock up when his phone rang. Glancing at his watch, he answered, irritated. Sheriff Johnson greeted him.

“What is it, Brad? I’m about to leave for the wedding,” Mead snapped.

“I know but I thought you should carry some good news with you as a wedding gift.”

“Good news?”

“FBI has arrested Deacon Carl Stewart. A major sting is now underway.”

“Fantastic. Who knew they could move so fast?

“I’m told they captured Stewart days ago. He’s not the kind of friend you want to have. He decided if he was going down, everyone was. We should also expect an influx of homeless children within the next month as they are processed through Child Services.”

“Holy shit. Any idea how big the Roth Mansion is?” Mead chuckled. “Thanks for the news, Brad. I’ll get it to them as quickly as I can.” He disconnected and pulled his coat and hat off the rack. He scrubbed at a spot on the lapel, spitting on a corner of his handkerchief to use as a sponge. Satisfied it was as good as it would get, he turned to the office door and ran into a woman raising a hand to knock.

“Excuse me,” she laughed. “There was no one out front.”

Mead looked at the woman. About five-seven, long black hair plaited into a braid, deep brown eyes. She looked almost Native American, an impression accented by a beige leather coat that hung to her thighs. She wore sensible flat shoes and Mead increased his height estimate by an inch or two.

“Sorry there was no one out there,” Mead said, trying to justify the emptiness of the police station. “I was about to close the office. Saturdays, the sheriff’s office next door handles the traffic. How can I help you?”

“I hope you can help me find someone. I’m looking for George Evars. He is likely going by the name Gee.”

“Uh ... Yes ... I know Gee. Just on my way ... I’m sorry, I didn’t get your name,” Mead stumbled.

“Of course!” She held out a gloved hand for Mead to shake. “I’m Rebecca Annette Evars. Just call me Rae. Everyone does.


For a moment, Detective Mead Oliver was tempted to tell the woman he didn’t know who she was talking about and suggest she try Palmyra. But he’d just said he knew Gee. And if Rebecca Evars was Gee’s wife, he could be about to commit a felony. He looked at the time again and sighed.

“His wedding is scheduled to begin in twenty minutes. I was just on my way. You can ride with me.”

“Ah,” Rae said quietly. “I made it in time.”

Mead was uncharacteristically quiet on the short drive. The barrage of questions he was known to shout at once suddenly dried up in his throat. The implications overwhelmed him. The ‘Rae’ who had inscribed Gee’s book was somehow related. The great mystery of the man’s identity was about to be revealed and Mead found he did not want to hear it.

He didn’t know what to do and could think of no alternative but to take Rae to the wedding tree and call Gee aside before the ceremony started. He pulled up to the foresters’ office and stepped out of the car.

“Drake, keep it where I can get out. I’ll take a two-seater and drive myself. In case I’m needed for an emergency.” The boy looked at him, puzzled as the keys landed in his hand.

“Yes, sir. Viktor has a two-seater by the front door. Um ... You know there’s spotty cell service out there, right?”

“I have my radio. If the sheriff needs me, he can reach me.” Mead conducted Rae to a small ATV and Viktor stepped aside, having seen the interaction between the detective and his friend.

“Here’s a map, sir,” Viktor said. “It’s the only trail that’s fully clear and packed down.”

“The kids seem to have a lot of respect for you, Detective,” Rae said. “It’s nice to see them cooperating with the police.”

“Mmm. Drake’s my son. I know most of them pretty well.” He maneuvered the ATV along the path, glancing at his phone for the time. When he pulled up at the end of the trail, he pointed. “That’s the path to the tree where the ceremony will be,” he said, pointing to the obviously trampled trail through the saplings. “I need to turn the buggy around.”

“Certainly. Thank you.” Rae moved to the path as Mead watched her beige coat disappear. He thumbed his radio.

“Sheriff, standby for possible fireworks at the wedding. Please have the kids at the office ready to run transport earlier than expected.”

“Problems?”

“I don’t know yet. As soon as I do, you’ll be the first to know.”

“I’m headed to the Forest now.”

Mead moved along the path through the trees as the first tones of Pàl’s bagpipe could be heard.


“Gee!” Rae called as she rushed into the clearing beneath The Tree’s canopy and hugged him, placing a kiss on his cheek. She touched his cheek with her fingers. “Baby smooth as always,” she laughed.

“Um ... Excuse me ... Who... ?”

“It’s me. Rae!”

“Rae? From the book?” Gee tried desperately to find an association with the face in front of him. Vague flickers of happiness crossed his mind but nothing specific other than the inscription in his copy of Homer’s Odyssey.

“Rebecca Annette Evars. Gee, what’s wrong?” Gee paled, stumbling back into Wayne.

“You’re ... Are you ... Are we ... married?”

“Gee? You don’t remember? I didn’t know.” She looked into his eyes as if willing him to recognize her. “We’re not married. I’m your sister. I’m here to celebrate your wedding with you.”

“How did you know? You know who I am?”

“Yes, I know who you are. I saw a copy of your local newspaper and your wedding announcement was in it. I was afraid I would miss it. You are my brother and I am so happy you’ve found the love I always hoped you would.”

“My sister. I have a sister.” He leaned heavily on his staff as he absorbed the news. “I didn’t know.” Rae’s attention was caught by the walking stick and she pointed at the carving Gee had made in it. She touched it and Gee felt her through the staff. It was a soft comforting touch accompanied by a whisper in his mind.

My child.

“You remembered this,” she said.

“I have a...” Gee fumbled in his pocket for a moment and pulled out his worry stone with the engraving of a vertical line and five horizontal lines crossing it.

“Yes,” Rae said. She reached in her own pocket and pulled out a stone, almost identical. She matched the two stones together and they seemed to make a single whole. “Our family symbol.”

“Gee? Is everything okay?” a worried Karen asked as she hurried across the clearing. This was not how she imagined her wedding march.

“I ... I have a sister,” he said, still a little dazed. She did seem familiar in a way. “She’s come to our wedding.”

“I didn’t know he wouldn’t recognize me. I’m so sorry I interrupted. I was just excited to finally find him. You must be Karen. Your name was in the newspaper, too.”

“Do we need to ... postpone things?” Karen asked. A bit of moisture escaped from her right eye and she hurriedly wiped it with the back of her hand.

“No!” Rae said. “There’s no reason to postpone because of me.”

“Excuse me,” Judge Warren said. “Can you affirm that this is indeed George Edward Evars, also called Gee, and that he is known to you?”

“Yes. I’ve known him since the day he was born.”

“I think that will set many minds at ease in our town. Gee and Karen? Do you want to proceed?”

“Yes!” Gee said, turning from Rae and embracing his fiancée. “Karen, will you still marry me?”

“Yes, I will! Let’s get this part done so we can all go back and get to know each other.”


Uninvited Guests

Pàl resumed his wedding march on the bagpipe. Karen decided not to retrace her steps but called Nina to her side, handing her the simple bouquet of flowers she held. She took Gee’s offered hand and they faced the Judge.

The ceremony was simple with traditional civil vows. They placed rings on each other’s fingers and kissed. Judge Warren declared them husband and wife. Then there was moderate chaos as the guests approached to congratulate the couple and to meet Rae.

“We both left several months ago on a quest to find the Children of the Red Tree,” Rae said. “I didn’t know it was a literal tree.” She reached out and touched the Patriarch, letting her eyes drift closed. “He’s calling his children home,” she sighed.

“Gee,” whispered John as he tugged at his sleeve. Gee turned to the boy and gave him his full attention. John’s voice could barely be heard at the best of times. The young father pointed to Gee’s walking stick. “Please?” It was not the first time he had taken the stick from Gee and it was easily given over. Gee watched as John quickly disappeared into the surrounding saplings, Jane and the baby watching from the edge.

“You found the children,” Rae said excitedly.

“We’ve found eight” Gee said. “Is that what I was supposed to do here?”

“There is so much to talk about. I can’t believe that you don’t remember anything. It must have been the nut.”

“I ate the nut in September. I lost my memory at least two months before I ate the nut in the Forest,” Gee said, shaking his head.

“You ate a nut in September?”

“Yes. And another on Thanksgiving. Why?”

“The wise woman gave you the nut to eat in June and sent you on your quest.”

“Another... ?”

There was a sudden hush beneath the Patriarch as John led three ragged children through the trees, all with a hand extended to touch Gee’s walking stick. Karen rushed to Gee’s side from where she was talking to Jo. Everyone else fell back away from the children, deferring to Gee’s experience.

“I see,” Rae whispered. “You don’t find them. They come to you.”

“Welcome, children,” Gee said, kneeling on the damp ground. “Would you like to come with us and be safe and warm and fed, like John and Jane and Salome?” They seemed to have difficulty associating the names with the children but after looking closely at the other children, they each nodded. They all wore moccasins that had been left in the survival kits. They each carried a small bundle and had a blanket around their shoulders.

“We’ll walk out of the woods together,” Gee said. “And then you can come home to eat. We’ll tell stories of how you came to be here.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.