Wild Woods
Chapter 9: Recrimination

Elder Road Books

In Stitches

“As your doctor, I’m ordering you to stop jumping in the river, Gee,” Adam said as he stitched the cut on Gee’s leg. Ellie held a tight pad against the jagged cut on his arm but Adam had decided the leg injury was worse. Gee could feel a slow trickle of blood on his face as well. He sighed.

“The first thing I remember is the sign for the Pub & Grub,” Gee said.

“Yeah, get your smartass comments out before your future wife gets here,” Ellie said. “She won’t be amused.”

“How is Beck?” Gee asked, wondering why he was being treated before the injured man.

“Gaston’s with him. We split up the task.”

“The coroner?”

“He’s also a damn fine doctor on the staff here,” Adam said. “Though it would have made everyone happier if he was conducting an autopsy. Why would you risk your life for ... that man?”

“He was hurt,” Gee said. Adam and Ellie both sighed. Adam moved to the cut on Gee’s arm. Ellie used a damp cloth to wipe the trickle of blood from above Gee’s eye. Gee winced at the shot of local anesthetic Adam gave him before cleaning the wound and beginning to stitch it closed.

“Gee!” Karen cried when she saw him on the table, tattered clothing in a pile on the floor.

“Mask, Karen!” Ellie said. “He has open wounds and we don’t want them infected.”

“My God! You’re bleeding!” Karen said. “Do something!”

“Karen you’ll have to go back to the waiting room if you can’t calm down,” Adam said. Karen caught her breath and regained her composure.

“I’m sorry. Gee, I love you. I had to see that you were alive. I need to go back out and wait. Nina is out there and she’s scared to death.”

“Take her to the children’s room,” Gee suggested. “I’ll be okay until Adam decides on a bigger needle. Nothing’s broken. I’m just a little scratched up. I love you.”

“We think nothing’s broken,” Ellie said. “When Adam’s done with the worst of the cuts, we’re getting Gee into x-ray.”

“Okay. I love you, Gee. We’re here for you.”

“Make sure Nina knows I love her, too, Karen.”


Mead Oliver had no better opinion of Gee’s good deed than Adam had. Gee was wheeled into a room after x-rays had shown no fractures, even though he was bruised from the battering of the current and rocks.

“You couldn’t have waited for the rescue vehicles?” Mead demanded.

“He would have died.”

“Maybe. No great loss.”

“Mead...”

“Gee, you rescued your greatest enemy. Do you think that will change things? Lance Beck is still going to blast you from the pulpit. He’s still going to invite parents to send him their children for conversion therapy. He’s still going to poison the minds of the community. But you dragged him out of a wrecked car, kept him breathing, and held him above water while you risked drowning.”

“I had to do it.”

“I know. And I respect you for it.” Mead sat heavily in a chair and took out a notebook to scratch in as they talked. “Finding Nina. Her panic in the woods. We know he has something to do with it all.”

“Nina’s time in the Woods was before Beck came to town, Mead. We can’t blame him for that.”

“We’re all edgy,” Mead sighed. “We lost one of our ambulances on the way to help. Slid off Fairview Avenue and nearly ended up in the river itself. We only have two tow trucks in this town and we need both to pull the car out of the river. But one is pulling the ambulance back up to the street while the other is anchoring the car so it doesn’t dislodge and crash downstream. If we have an emergency right now, we have one ambulance that could respond. No one should be out driving on this ice.”

“I wasn’t driving, Mead.”

“I wasn’t blaming you. Just, like always, you’re in the middle of it,” Mead said in frustration. “Okay. We got to the point where you were smashing out the windshield and getting lacerations on your right arm,” he continued. “Tell me more.”

“Things got confusing. It was ... really cold. I lost track of which way was up. I know I lost a glove trying to unfasten the seatbelt. I remember dragging him across the seat and wedging the door open with my shoulder. And calling for help. He started to wake up and I struggled to keep him calm. But I don’t remember much else until they fastened a harness around me and dragged me through the water to shore. Then it was the ambulance.

“Had to hold Beck in the ambulance to wait for you because the other one was off the road,” Mead said. “Gave the fire and rescue boys a real workout. Finally stretched a ladder across to the car to make a bridge to reach you. And you weighed about twice as much with your waterlogged clothes. I brought your coat, hat and cellphone in for you, by the way. I don’t think you have any clothes left.

“They aren’t letting me go home tonight. Karen will bring me clothes in the morning.”

“She’s a bit of a wreck comforting Nina,” Mead said. “Should be back soon, though. Laura is up with the kids and they’re all hugging Nina.”

“She’ll be fine,” Karen said as she walked into the room. “I could have been back sooner but they told me you were in x-ray.”

“Just bruised, not broken,” Gee said.

“Just lucky,” Karen responded.

“I have everything I need for now,” Mead said. “Let me know if you remember something we should check out. It looks pretty clear at this stage.”

“Thanks, Mead.” The detective left the room. Free from doctors, nurses, and police for the first time, Gee held out his arms and Karen flung herself into them.

“I’m sorry, Love,” Gee said as he tried to calm her tears. “I didn’t mean to frighten you and Nina.”

“I know,” she sniffed. “Nina was ... Oh, Gee! She thought she was to blame. She just kept saying she was sorry and please not to send her away. What could I do? I had to stay and tell her what happened and that it wasn’t her fault. She’s still so afraid we’ll send her back to her former masters.” Gee held her and petted her hair, though his arm was stiff and he had trouble reaching her. “She’s okay with Laura and the children now. I’ll bring her down to see you and then take her home.”

“Karen, about Beck...”

“You never have to explain something like that to me,” she said, cutting him off. “I don’t like him. I want to believe he’s responsible for all the bad we’ve found ... the kidnapping, Rena, the children ... I want him to be struck by a bolt of lightning as he stands distorting the Word of God in his pulpit. But God is silent. Maybe the accident was God finally taking action and coming up against you, the Champion of the City, thwarting god’s best move. Or maybe the accident was simply another test to show how pure you are. No matter, I’m not the judge. I am your lover and your supporter and your helper and your partner.”

“I love you, Karen. You are my refuge as well.”


“I was scared,” Nina said as she sat on the edge of Gee’s hospital bed so he could give her a hug. She’d come in to say goodnight before they went home.

“What were you scared of, Nina?” Gee asked. “Do you know?”

“I thought it was because you were nice to me. I knew it was my fault and you’d punish me because you were hurt.” Karen edged up on the bed behind her and stroked her hair.

“Honey, why would you be punished because Gee was hurt. You didn’t have anything to do with it. You didn’t cause the accident or make Gee foolishly jump in the water. Who would ever punish you for that?”

“Sir and Madam. Sometimes they watched television and punished me for what they saw. Sometimes they came home late at night and took me from my kennel to punish me for what they saw or did when they were gone. It’s all my fault. I get punished.”

“Kick the dog,” Gee whispered. Karen jotted down notes. Everything relating to Gee’s or Nina’s past was important. “Nina, I will never...” he glanced at Karen and she nodded. “We will never punish you like that. We will not blame you for things you do not control. And even if you do something wrong, we will never, ever hit you or abuse you. We want you to be safe with us, not frightened.”

“Even though you got hurt?” she squeaked.

“Trust me. I’ve been told by people who know, how foolish I was tonight and how I deserved the injuries I got.”

Nina hugged him again and stood up so Karen could kiss Gee.

“They’re keeping you overnight, but I need to take our girl home and get her to bed. We all have a big day tomorrow helping the children move to their new home.”

“I wouldn’t be much company tonight,” Gee yawned. “They brought me another blanket and I’m finally getting warm. I love you.”

Karen and Nina left to walk the half dozen blocks home.


Homecoming

Gee was released in time to help the children pack.

“My! Where did you get so many clothes?” he laughed as each child brought shirts, pants, and underwear for him to see before putting them in the little suitcases. Laura and Jude had been buying things for the children and now it all had to be boxed and taken to the house where the new family would be living.

Esther stood watching Jude carry the box of books to the car with her lip trembling. She looked uncertainly at Gee and he held his arms out. She launched herself into them and he carried her around the room assuring her. The children had lived here for seven weeks. It was the only home they’d known since being found on the truck. Seeing the familiar things disappearing from the room and the room gradually transforming back into a sterile hospital room instead of their home was obviously stressing them.

“Once upon a time, there were three children who went on a great adventure,” Gee began. The children had heard Gee tell stories enough times that their focus snapped to him and he sat on the edge of their bed, Littlest still in his arms. Gee continued his story. “‘What do we need for an adventure?’ the big girl asked. ‘A bear,’ said the boy. ‘A book,’ said girl. ‘I need Brother and Sister,’ said the little one. She took the hands of her brother and sister and with bear and book they went on a hunt for adventure.’” Gee paused in the story as Laura brought winter coats for the children.

“It’s cold outside,” she said. “The children need to bundle up warmly so they can go on their big adventure. Naomi, can you help Esther with her coat, please?” Now that they were engaged in the process of actually leaving, the children became more active and walked to Jude’s car. The main roads were deemed safe for travel but the children were still nervous about being fastened into the car seats. Gee and Jude gently reassured them and showed them that Laura and Jude also fastened seatbelts.

Three vehicles made their cautious way from the hospital to Laura and Jude’s home, formerly Karen’s. Grandma Sue had agreed to a temporary position as live-in nanny for the children and would begin training Jeanie when she was available. Her car was filled with boxes of the children’s toys.

Jeanie was waiting at the door with Nina to welcome the children to their new home. The children understood quickly which rooms were theirs and put their toys and books in the room with bunkbeds with their clothes and bedtime things in the room with a double bed. Grandma Sue moved into what had been Karen’s bedroom suite and the children visited her as they explored their new home.


Nina and Jeanie helped the children into different sized booster seats at the dining table when pizza was delivered. Prayer before meals had morphed into a simple bowing of heads as one of the adults said, “Thank you for this food.” It was a compromise among Jude’s Jewish prayer, Laura’s Lutheran prayer, and Grandma Sue’s Baptist prayer. The adults agreed to keep it simple.

Pizza was a new experience for the children and they were soon decorated with tomato sauce from ear to ear. The laughter of the teens was infectious and the children were soon giggling as well.

“Come to Mommy, Esther. Let’s get your face cleaned up.” The child immediately went to Laura to have her face washed and give her a hug. Naomi and David lined up next and then scampered off to their playroom.

“That was quick,” Karen said, as Laura watched the children head upstairs. Gee reached to take Karen’s hand. Laura turned and blushed as Jude wrapped her in his arms.

“Well ... It’s just ... We’re parents!” she burst out.

“It’s a dream,” Jude said. “We have children of our own.”

“I’m so happy for you,” Karen said. “It’s wonderful that the children are responding to you so well. You really are a Mommy and Daddy.”

Jeanie had a quick whispered conversation with Laura and Jude as they cleared the table. She nodded at Nina. Nina tugged at Karen’s sleeve to get her attention.

“Mommy, may I spend the night here with Jeanie?” she asked. Karen’s mouth dropped open. Nina waited expectantly.

“Um ... uh ... Is it okay with Laura and Jude?” she choked out.

“We told Jeanie she could invite her. Jeanie’s headed back to Flor tomorrow afternoon but this bedroom will be hers when she is with us,” Laura said.

“Then yes, Sweetie. Do you need to run home and get your night things?”

“Yes. Thank you.” She and Jeanie left for the quick trip across the street to pack Nina’s overnight bag.

“Wow,” Karen sighed. “Wow.”

“It sounded like you are parents, too,” Grandma Sue said softly.

“Wow,” Karen repeated.


Making a Family

“I’m so sorry you were fired, Troy,” Taryn said as she sat beside him on the little sofa in her apartment. It was late Sunday evening and she’d just gotten Ricky settled in bed. Monday would be the first morning Troy did not need to get up early and head for his window on Main Street as people started moving in Rosebud Falls.

“I knew it was happening before Christmas,” he said. “It’s a backlash against the Families.” He pulled Taryn into his arms to kiss her. Their relationship had moved quickly after Christmas with Troy’s family. Even his mother had taken to Ricky as if he were her grandchild. Christmas Eve, Troy and Taryn had slept together for the first time. She melted into his arms, compliant to his every wish.

“What will you do?”

“I have a pretty good following and this isn’t the only station that reaches Rosebud Falls. But I’m thinking a fresh start somewhere would be good. Anyone with a Family name around here is going to have a hard time being in the media or politics,” he said.

“The Families are funny. Everyone looks to you for help and then pushes you away from the places you could do good,” she said. “I’ve never seen a place like this. Of course, I haven’t really traveled that much. What are they going to do with your morning show?”

“Oh, they were very clever. We’ve had a kid as an intern doing weekend slots for several months. He managed a mid-year graduation from high school and they are moving him straight into the Eye on Main. He’s nice enough but he’s about to come face-to-face with the hard reality of having a full-time job in the public eye. You don’t sit in that window and pick your nose.”

“Troy, you talk bravely, but I know deep down you’re hurting. You’ve been in that job since you left broadcast school,” Taryn said. Troy was amazed again at how gentle and empathetic she was. She was simply perfect. “I just want you to know ... I’m very comfortable with you, Troy. If you want me, I’ll be whatever you need me to be. You can talk to me. You can cry with me. You can make love to me. Whatever you want, Troy.” He looked at woman curled in his arms. Ten years younger and so willing to please him. Wanting to take care of him. What was he waiting for?

He spared only a flicker of a thought for the mentally challenged child in the next room.

“Is that true, Taryn? You’ll be whatever I want?”

“Yes.”

“Will you be my wife?”

“Troy! Do you mean that? Yes! Of course I’ll marry you.”

“We will probably have to move away from Rosebud Falls,” he said. “I’ve sent out queries to some bigger cities. We’ll need to move.”

“I only just got to Rosebud Falls a couple of months ago. I’m not that attached.”

“Then let’s find a justice of the peace and seal the deal tomorrow.”

“Tonight, let’s make love,” she responded. She led Troy to her bedroom and into her bed.


Sated and content, the couple fell asleep in each other’s arms. He was roused from sleep when Ricky fussed in the next room and Taryn went to attend him.

What had he done? If he married Taryn, the mongoloid child came with the deal.

Oh well. Kids like that often died young, didn’t they?


School Day

Still stiff from his escapade in the water, Gee sat at the table with a cup in his hand. Nina was busy at the stove as she chattered about her weekend with Jeanie and the children. Laura taught the two girls how to make pancakes and Nina insisted she wanted to fix breakfast for Karen and Gee.

“The children are like me,” she said as she chatted away. Karen came into the kitchen and Gee poured her a cup of coffee as Nina mixed the batter. “Except, I talk now. I didn’t before, though. I wasn’t allowed to say anything when I was with Sir and Madam. You are so nice to me! You ask me things and let me answer. I think Naomi will begin talking soon. I thought I heard her whisper something to David Saturday night.”

“That would be wonderful, Sweetie. Soon they’ll be ready to start school, like you will,” Karen said.

“Will I really go to school? I’ve learned my ABCs and counting up really high. I want to read books like Gee reads to us.”

“We don’t know what kind of classes they will recommend for you,” Gee said. “Ms. Parris will talk to you and ask you a lot of questions this morning. Just remember that all you have to do is answer the best you can. This isn’t like a test you have to pass. It’s so we’ll know how to help you learn.”

“Will ... um ... Ms. Parris want me ... to do things?”

“Things?” Karen asked. Nina hung her head. Karen jumped up to hug the girl and Gee moved over to flip the pancake on the griddle. “No one will ask you to do things like that again. And if they do, you can say no. If anyone tries to make you have sex with them, tell us and they will never try again. Do you understand me, Honey? No one will abuse you like that ever again!”


“Well, what do we have?” Principal O’Reilly asked as Nina and Susan Parris joined them in the conference room. Gee and Karen had spent most of the hour while Nina was being tested chatting with the principal. “Was it difficult, Nina?”

“I don’t know things Ms. Parris asked,” she said.

“Not everything, but you know some of the very important things.”

“Tell us all about it,” the principal suggested. A well-disciplined child counselor, Ms. Parris began by addressing her remarks directly to Nina.

“You are a very intelligent young woman. Very smart. Talking to you has convinced me we should talk to the younger children Gee rescued.”

“I didn’t really do any rescuing of the children or of Nina.”

“I understand and won’t argue the point,” Susan said. “Often, when there is long-term drug and physical abuse—even prescription drugs for ADHD and other common treatments—we find the child is damaged intellectually. Nina, you have been deprived of an education but you are in no way intellectually challenged.”

“Is that good?” Nina asked.

“Yes! It means you want to learn and you’re capable of learning. So, we want to help you learn as quickly as you can.” Susan finally turned to Gee and Karen. “Which is our problem. Nina needs the fundamentals of an elementary school education, though she will probably advance through them rapidly. I don’t think she should be placed in a class of six-year-olds and forced to progress at their pace. Socially, she as at the level of a new high school student. She’s new in the adult world and is learning to make friends but she is still a little shy as she feels her way. Sexually ... Nina has experience that I hope no other high school student in Rosebud Falls has suffered. This has given her a distorted view of sexual maturity that relates strongly to reward and punishment. And finally, we have the issue of age. Nina is eighteen. Technically, that means she is an adult and the school system does not have an adult education program. I don’t think we can help her here at the school.”

“That might be,” the principal said, “but let’s focus on what Nina needs and wants before we decide how to provide for her.” The discussion went on for an hour before any conclusions were reached.


“So, what we have in the near-term is a homeschooling program that would be guided by and supplemented by an elementary school teacher. If the testing shows good potential, the Woods children should also be included even though they might not progress as rapidly as Nina. Nina is highly motivated to learn. She could potentially join some appropriate high school classes next year,” O’Reilly said.

“Nina, how much you learn and how fast is up to you. Your schooling right now will focus on reading and math, two things that you’ll need all through your life. Without them, it is hard to live independently. That doesn’t mean you have to leave Gee and Karen one day. It means being able to find a job, go on a date, drive a car, shop in a store, use a bank. You might decide you want to go to college one day. Right now, we want you to feel safe and confident whether you are at home, walking down a street, or in school with your friends,” Susan concluded.

“Thank you,” Nina said.

“Yes. Thank you very much,” Karen added. “We will do whatever we can to help Nina be a healthy and happy member of our family.”


“That was more exhausting than I prepared for,” Principal O’Reilly said as he sat opposite Susan in his office.

“I should learn, but I never seem to,” she sighed.

“So, what is your concern.”

“It’s only moderate. We have a lot of students who interact with Gee on a regular basis. He takes them to the woods and talks to them. Today, I saw two girls and a boy all give him a hug when he was in the hall.”

“Do you think he’s behaving inappropriately?”

“No. I have no reason to suspect that. I’m more bothered by Nina.”

“How so?”

“During our evaluation, I questioned her about her sexual experience. I was shocked beyond anything I let show in our meeting. Thankfully, she’s spoken to the police and they are trying to find her ‘sir and madam’. In my book she was saying ‘owners’. She was abused for years in every way you can imagine. When I asked if she had been sexually active with Gee and Karen, she firmly said no. But when I asked if she would have sex with either of them if they asked, she just as firmly said yes. It’s not that I don’t trust her guardians, but with her desire to please and her level of compliance, they could easily slip into the same kind of abusive relationship.”

“I see. Your recommendation?”

“Wait and see. We just need to hope they are of as high character as they seem to be.


Waters in the Woods

“Roy, I’d like you to meet Gee Evars. Gee, this is Roy Waters, Environmental Protection Agency, General Harassment Division,” David said at the forester’s office on Wednesday. The two men had known each other for many years and had an easy relationship. “We asked for another snowstorm but Mother Nature could only delay his visit briefly.” Gabe handed Gee a cup of coffee and returned to his usual seat in the corner.

“Don’t let your boss fool you, Gee. This is a pre-harassment investigation. I need to make up some facts before I start harassing,” Roy said.

“That sounds fair,” Gee said. “I’d hate to think you harass people without making up facts first.”

“What’s the real issue today, Roy?” David said. “It looks like you came dressed to do actual work.”

“I’ve been a supporter of your Forest Management Program since I joined the agency in ‘88. You have a good program,” Roy said. “But not long ago, reports started filtering in about accidents, poisonings, and even drug manufacturing. I took it upon myself to come out and check the condition of the new land you’ve acquired and hopefully write an innocuous report that pulls attention away from you. That doesn’t mean we won’t have some issues to address regarding the air, water, or quality of life in the Rose River watershed but, with luck, it might divert the attention of OSHA, DEA, CDC, FBI, or any other alphabet soup you care to name.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.