Wild Woods - Cover

Wild Woods

Elder Road Books

Chapter 8: Troubled Waters

Punishment

“Sick. It’s just sick,” Mead muttered as Nina left the room. At a few minutes before nine o’clock, she stood and asked if she could go to bed. The poor girl looked like she was still in shock but had answered all Mead’s questions. “Not only the people who bought her but that she was ... erased ... made ... created ... here. The cabins. The children. The doctor. It’s all too much. That our town has been a hub of child trafficking.” Mead shook his head and stood to leave. Karen and Gee walked to the door with him.

“We’ve known something was wrong,” Karen said. “We just didn’t know how bad it was.”

“If we find any evidence that leads to her sir and madam, we’ll end up going public with all of this, Karen. There won’t be any way to avoid it. It will be national news and the FBI will be involved. You might as well warn the Families.”

“The Families want this ended,” Karen said. “Yes, there are some who simply want us to say the doctor was the end of the trail and the problem is solved. We know that’s not true. Pàl is ready to disassemble his company brick by brick to find anyone who was involved. A researcher in a lab may have created the drug but he didn’t come up with the concept and network for capturing children and distributing sex slaves. He didn’t go out in the woods and build the cabins—even with the help of a shift supervisor. Someone coordinated this and set up the network.”

“And that someone is still in Rosebud Falls,” Gee said.

“I’m going to find him,” Mead vowed. “My son is Nina’s age. My daughter is younger. None of our children are safe if we let this go. None of them.”

“Let us know what help you need,” Karen said. “Loren and Heinz are frightened old men who want everything silenced, but their heirs, Jessie and Cameron, aren’t going to sit around doing nothing. David and Jonathan are offering everything they can to help. Jan has started sending staff at the hospital through specialized training for dealing with any other children we might encounter. We have people and money, Mead. We’ll get whatever is needed.”

“Thank you, Karen. I ... need to go now.” He looked toward the stairs where Nina had disappeared. “Take care of her. I need to go hug my daughter.” Mead left and Karen fell into Gee’s arms to be held.

“Let’s go check on our baby,” Karen said. “She’s had a rough day.”

They went up the stairs and paused at Nina’s door. Karen knocked softly and peeked through the opening to make sure Nina was dressed before letting Gee look at the figure sleeping in bed.

But no figure was in the bed.

“Nina? Are you okay, Sweetie?” she asked, pushing into the room. There was a rustle at her feet and she snapped the light on full.

Nina knelt in a pile of blankets by the door, naked, with her head bowed. Gee snatched her robe from behind the door and pulled it over her shoulders as Karen knelt beside the distraught girl.

“Nina, honey. Why are you here like this instead of asleep in your bed?”

“I don’t deserve a bed. I was bad,” she sniffed.

“You weren’t bad,” Gee said, kneeling with Karen.

“I tore my new coat and shirt. I had to go to the hospital. I made you miss work. You had to call the police. I’m bad.”

“No, no, no,” Karen cried. “You were frightened. That isn’t bad. I was frightened, too. So was Gee. Frightened isn’t bad.”

“You won’t punish me?” she whispered.

“No one is ever going to punish you like this again, Nina,” Gee said. “You will never have your bed taken away from you. You will never have to do things to other people.” Nina collapsed forward into Karen’s arms, sobbing. Gee held them both.

“It just takes time, Precious. Time to get over your fears. Time to heal. Time to believe,” Karen said. “Let me help you get to bed now. We love you, Nina.”

They stood and as Karen and Nina headed to the bathroom, Gee slipped out the door and closed it softly behind him.


Karen found him sitting at the top of the stairs with his head in his hands, shoulders shaking. She joined him and put her arms around him.

“She’ll sleep now,” she said. “She relived a bad part of her life, not only in the woods but in telling it all to Mead. She forgot she was with us and not with Sir and Madam. It was like she rediscovered her room after I got her face washed.”

“She couldn’t tell us any of that before the shock today,” Gee said. “We knew she’d been mistreated and sexually abused but seeing the cabin triggered all the memories she was suppressing.”

“I should have thought of it. I was shaken by that glimpse through the trees. I haven’t been near a cabin during the few times I’ve been out helping. My first thought was ‘that is where he tried to kill me.’ I felt my heart speed up and nearly fled myself.”

“I was afraid she’d stumble and fall into the quarry. I don’t know how I caught her in time. I need to talk to Pàl tomorrow. The fence around that pit needs to be repaired and we need to determine what to do with it. With the border fence between the Wild Woods and the Forest down and paths cut, people can just walk through to get to it. It’s dangerous. Having a sign that declares it a hard hat area isn’t adequate.”

“It should be filled in.”

“More than that. It needs to be emptied first.”

“Emptied? How do you empty a lake without filling it in?”

“There must be a way. I need to talk to Jan tomorrow, too. Something his father said.”

“His father? How did you meet August? He’s got Alzheimer’s and is in terminal care.”

“He’s in the same long-term care wing as the children,” Gee said. “I was passing the other day and he called to me by name. Not Gee, but George.”

“He must have thought you were someone else. Alzheimer’s is like that.”

“Yes. Someone from his youth. A memory of playing hide and seek in the quarry and they shouldn’t go back because of what was hidden there,” Gee said. “More mysteries.”

“I can’t deal with more mysteries tonight, Love. I’m drained. I need to be held by my lover.”


Raging Hormones

“Gee, need to speak with you,” David said when Gee got to the office Friday morning. The weather was looking threatening and Gee wasn’t sure if his crew would actually get anything done today. The wind was whipping snow horizontally out of the open fields east of the fence line.

“Sure. What’s up?” Gee poured a cup of coffee and settled into a chair near David. The two men were the only ones in the office this early.

“You’re going to have to talk to your kids about going into the woods for ... personal reasons,” David said.

“What do you mean?”

“I had one of the guys do a routine check on the cabins yesterday afternoon to make sure there was propane for the heaters. In addition to your fencerow crew, I’ve had people out assessing the thinner area of the woods up close to SSG,” David explained. “They need a place to get warm. But Lee found a backpack in one of the cabins with a sleeping bag.”

“Do you think we’ve got a squatter?”

“No. I think we have some hormonal teens who have found a place to be alone.”

“Oh, no,” Gee sighed. “You’re sure?”

“There was an ID tag on the backpack. Lee left it out there until we decide what to do. It’s your call, but something like that could reduce your volunteer crew to zero and start a hullaballoo about access to the woods,” David said. “I’d go read them the riot act and probably ban a few from working, but that’s me. You’ve got a different relationship with them and this is your baby.”

“Thanks a lot.”


A dozen kids finally made it to the foresters’ office to volunteer for work but in addition to wind, fresh snow had started falling. Before he canceled work and told the kids to go back home, Gee called them together.

“How’s Nina, Gee?” Jeanie asked.

“She’s doing okay. We found out, though, that fifteen years ago she was held in one of those cabins to be programmed for a life of servitude. Seeing the cabin yesterday was a real shock and sent her into a panic. You’re all an important part of her healing and I want to thank you for that,” Gee said. There were nods and Gee took a deep breath before plunging on.

“You’re all an important part of the Wild Woods, too, and that brings me to an issue that only you can deal with. Guys, the cabins have been cleaned and heaters installed so we can work during the winter. They aren’t set aside as a personal recreation area. I need you all to promise you won’t go out there except as part of a work crew. I thought that was understood but it seems I need to make it explicit.”

“Has someone gone out to party?” Leslie asked. “None of you guys drink or do dope, do you?” There was shaking of heads. Leslie was the youngest and perhaps most naïve. Gee was sure some of the older kids had experimented a little.

“It was me,” Ryan said. “I went out to camp in one of the cabins.”

“Us,” Shannon said. “Ryan, you can’t confess without me. Gee, we went out there to ... because there isn’t any place we can be alone. We just wanted to be together, you know?”

“I do know,” Gee said. “And I know it’s hard to make the right decision when there’s an opportunity in front of you. Please understand, though, that if word of this reached your parents, you wouldn’t be allowed to come back. I’m sure of that. We’re going to have to lock the cabins. So, your actions affect more than just the two of you. Anybody else had the idea of using the cabins as a private meeting place?” There were a few nods.

“We didn’t even do anything,” Ryan said. “I mean, we kissed and stuff but we got to talking and ended up leaving before anything else happened.”

“And left your pack,” Gee said.

“That was different,” Shannon interjected. “That wasn’t for us.”

“What?”

“One of the things Shan and I talked about when we were out there and trying to get warm in front of the heater was the footprint she found. It wasn’t far from that cabin. I mean, we were bundled up in our winter coats and had the heater going and we were still cold. If there’s kids out there, they must be freezing. We left our snack food, drinks, and sleeping bag in case some kid stumbled on it and needed to get warm,” Ryan said. Gee snapped his head toward David, who had been quietly observing. His brow was creased. Gabe, in his usual corner, brought all four feet of his chair to the floor.

“Please don’t lock the cabins, Mr. Lazorack,” Shannon said. “It might be the only shelter they have.”

“We need to consider this, David,” Gabe said. “What’s our purpose been out there? If there are kids hiding, they might be too scared of the cabins to go in, but we shouldn’t lock them out.”

“Aside from you kids using the place as a private love nest, I have to agree,” David said. “I was focused on the possibility of finding them, not of them surviving if we don’t. Gee?”

“Yes. Okay. You kids have done it again. I’m proud of you. How can we put together a couple of bundles for each cabin? If you believe in this, I’m going to depend on you to figure it out. Go up to the school and sit down with a pad of paper and decide what needs to be in each survival kit and how much it will cost to put them together. I’ll try to shake loose some money to buy the supplies.”

“I’ll fund it,” David said. “Provided you all promise not to make unauthorized visits. I appreciate you wanting a place to go. I’m not that old. But you have to respect the vulnerability of our volunteer program and protect it.”

“We will, sir,” Ryan said. “I’m sorry we acted without thinking.”


Trading Spaces

By the time Saturday morning dawned, a near white-out blizzard had descended on Rosebud Falls. “Worst storm in a generation,” Troy announced on the radio. “Where’s global warming when you need it, eh? I might end up spending the weekend here in the studio. Please shovel me out before New Year’s Eve. I’ve got a hot date. So, for today, stay in, cuddle up, and stay safe. Here’s a little jingle to get you started.” His voice faded into the recognizable intro for ‘Winter Wonderland’ and Karen clicked off the bedside radio.

“I’m really tired of being woken up by Troy’s voice in the morning,” Karen said. “We need to find a different radio station.”

“He’s changed over the past few weeks. Have you noticed?” Gee asked.

“Yes. I’m betting the hot date he has on New Year’s Eve is to his farewell party.”

“You think he’s being pushed out?”

“Yes. You should be prepared to find Wayne is unemployed, too.”

“Judge Warren?”

“He has two more years to serve. If he’s careful, he won’t be asked to step down. District Attorney Mazzenga has an exploratory committee raising funds for a run at the position. Judge Warren won’t be able to work miracles like giving people ID or arranging custody, though,” she chuckled.

“Speaking of which...”

“Nina’s ID is already in the works, as are birth certificates for the children.”

“How is our teen treasure this morning? She seemed back to her normal self yesterday afternoon.”

“I checked on her when I got up to use the bathroom. She was awake and bounced out of bed to hug me. She asked if she could make breakfast this morning and I agreed. I expect she’ll be up in a few minutes to announce it’s ready, so don’t get too frisky there, mister.” They both laughed and held each other in a deep kiss.

“Well, there won’t be work in the woods again today. What shall we do?” Gee asked.

“Pack,” Karen said. “If the snow lets up a little, we can walk over to the mansion and survey what we want to occupy and where we want things moved. We won’t be moving a lot of furniture but I want to keep our bed. It’s too comfortable to give up. Besides, the memory foam has memories of making love to you.”

“We’ve made a big deal about telling Nina this is her home,” Gee said. “We need to make sure she understands we aren’t talking about the building but our family.”


Nina and Karen had a long conversation about things she owned now. They went through the bedroom and Karen pointed out her clothes, the few stuffed animals and books, and her bathroom supplies were all hers. The furniture could be moved to her new room or left behind if she found a room in the new house already furnished that she liked.

“Can Jeanie have this furniture?” Nina asked. “She really liked this bed and doesn’t have one as nice. I would like her to have nice things because she is my friend.”

“That’s very thoughtful of you, sweetheart,” Karen said. “Jeanie might not have space for this bed in her room at school. You know she shares her room with a dorm sister? But ... I have a secret. You know that Jude and Laura and the children are going to move into this house?” Nina nodded. “They will need some help with the children. I think they are going to ask Jeanie if she would like to live with them and help take care of Esther, David, and Naomi.”

“Jeanie likes them,” Nina said. “I do, too. I could help.”

“I think that’s a wonderful idea. I know Laura would be happy to have your help. But if Jeanie moves here, guess where she’d be sleeping.” Nina’s eyes got big with wonder.

“Here? Here in my room?”

“Wouldn’t that be wonderful? And your friend would be right across the street from you so you could see her when you both want to,” Karen said. Nina grinned.

“Can we go see my new room now?”


The mansion was as overwhelming to Gee as it was to Nina. It had been built and added onto to accommodate generations of extended family living together and had functioned that way until the great schism between Ben and his sister, Karen’s great-grandmother, and their father’s refusal to recognize Celia Eberhardt as part of the Family. Ben had further split the family when Leah married a gentile. Ben threw a fit and as long as Karen had been alive, had lived alone in the massive building.

Karen and Gee would occupy the master suite on the second floor. It had two bedrooms, a large bath, sitting room, study, and a breakfast room that overlooked the river and led to a covered deck set with a table and chairs. Money had never been an issue for the Roths. Both Aaron and Ben had spent freely to modernize the 150-year-old mansion.

“Are we supposed to have separate bedrooms?” Gee asked as he looked into the rooms.

“We’d better not!” Karen announced. “But we might need a nursery room handy one day.” She waggled her eyebrows at him and he grinned.

“Any time soon?”

“Not until after we’re married.” They decided to make their intentions known immediately and have the beds moved out of both rooms. Karen’s king-size bed from across the street would be moved into their bedroom. They would begin decorating the second bedroom as a nursery.

Nina chose a remarkably small bedroom—smaller than the one at the ‘cottage.’ Karen and Gee could see at once why she chose that room. It was decorated in a soft palette with curtains in front of a balcony overlooking the river. From her balcony, she could see the deck stretched across Gee and Karen’s suite.

The closet was roomy but not so big that Nina’s few accumulated clothes would look sparse. The bed was not as large as the bed in her former room but was very high. Two steps led up to the mattress of the old four-poster. From the bed, she could see out the doors to the balcony. It was cozy and comfortable and just a door down from the master suite.

Karen decided to move her great-great-grandfather’s desk back into the library downstairs along with the papers and books they had been packing so carefully. Other family members needed access to those materials. The study in the master suite would be used for more personal pursuits like writing her book and Gee’s coordination of volunteers.

“I’m going to invite Raven back to live here,” Karen sighed. “I think she’d be interested in cutting some of her hours at the bar in exchange for more time and money to take care of the house here. Um ... That means Timmy would move here, too.”

“Nathan says he is doing well at work and is adjusting to the routine with no problem.”

“That’s part of what I was thinking. Right now, they live in a two-bedroom apartment. That’s not a comfortable place for a single adult woman and her twenty-eight-year-old son. There’s a rather nice maid’s apartment behind the kitchen. It’s smaller than what she’s in now, but Timmy could have the carriage house apartment. It’s where he lived the first few years of his life, so it should feel familiar. And it would give him some semblance of freedom without being too far away for Raven to help.”

Gee looked at his fiancée and smiled. “You’re going to fill the mansion with people in need, aren’t you?” She bit her lip.

“Maybe not all of it,” she said hopefully. “But Ben did say to fill the space with children. They don’t all have to be ours.”


The remainder of the weekend was filled with the bustle of packing. Karen decided to move her entire bedroom furniture suite to the mansion and Laura agreed to accept the replaced furniture. Once she could get through the snow, Jeanie came to help Nina pack. Then the two girls enthusiastically helped Karen and Laura repaint the children’s two rooms and decorate them. Everyone knew the children would use only one of the bedrooms—at least for now—but Monday, the furniture store delivered a double bed for one room and bunkbeds for the other.

“Are you even ready for your wedding?” Karen asked Laura Monday morning, New Year’s Eve.

“It’s on autopilot. Jude and I have lived together for six years, telling people we were getting married. The wedding itself is kind of a shrug to our parents. Rabbi Schlesinger will conduct the service, but it will be at Mom and Dad’s. Just the families—which includes you, don’t forget.”

“We wouldn’t miss it. What else would we be doing tomorrow?”

A small truck arrived to remove what Gee, Karen, and Nina had packed and take it to the mansion. An hour and a half later, it returned with the bedroom furniture for Laura and Jude’s guest room. Then the truck went to their modest home and loaded out everything to move to the Weisman house. In all, the move took the full day and Karen tipped the workers double for having moved everyone on New Year’s Eve.

Rather than spend the night in their new home, Laura and Jude went to the hospital and spent the night with their children.


Fire Sale

“They want to buy our land,” John Daniels said. Five men stood with cups of punch in a corner of the church basement after the ‘Watch Night’ service. It wasn’t as big a turn-out as in previous years and the men on the board of trustees were doubtful about the future of the church. But the news that the foresters wanted to buy land adjoining the Wild Woods was disturbing. “I’ve seen them moving along the inside of the fence, clearing it and checking for breaks.”

“We replaced that section in September, right after the monk died.”

“The trail is still there.”

“Maybe you should go ahead and sell,” Deacon said. “Retire down south where it’s warm. Florida is sounding better all the time.”

“Like Simon retired?” Darren Cole barked. “Do you plan to kill us all off?”

Deacon looked around at the five board members of the church.

“Did any of you see bodies?” he asked in a low voice. “The timing seemed too convenient to me. I think they disappeared and if they had the help of a witness protection program, we’re all in danger. I’m out of here with the spring thaw.”

“They’d find too much if they investigated my barn,” Daniels said. “We did too much staging from there.”

“Burn it.”

“What?”

“If you lose your barn, your equipment, and your livestock in a big fire, then you’d have a reason to be discouraged, sell out, and leave town. Probably even get a sympathy offer. We’ve been good here since our fathers started this. There isn’t going to be another generation to pass it on to. Savage is investigating the books and has already called the church lease into question. It’s been scrubbed clean, so we can just walk away from it.”

“What about Beck?”

“He’ll do whatever we say. We have enough on him to put him away for life. If the videos of his conversion therapy ever surfaced, he’d be locked up forever. And prisons being what they are, forever wouldn’t be a very long time.”

“Too bad about it all,” Daniels said. “Such a loss.”

“Might as well enjoy the profits,” Cole said.

“No forwarding addresses,” Deacon said. “And have your women scrub everything down.”


Mazel Tov!

The wedding, at noon on New Year’s Day, was held at the Lazorack home. It was a simple ceremony. Jude’s brother Levi stood with him and Laura’s sister-in-law, Jessie attended her. There was no canopy or breaking of a glass, however the rabbi gave seven blessings and pronounced them husband and wife. Rebecca Lazorack served a buffet reception for the twenty or so guests of the Roth and Lazorack Families.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.