Erica Olafson, Voyages of the Tigershark (Vol 8)
Chapter 22: Quarva

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

“So how are we going to do this?” Har-Hi asked as we passed through an enormous opening, big enough for a Union battleship. I stood behind Shaka, who was inside his helm sphere and looked past our front viewports into the bewildering interior of Quarva. Sodoby said.

“This rock is even bigger than mine. What a nice Bazaar it would make.

“Har-Hi snickered.

“That might depend on our captain’s mood. Who knows who actually runs this place.

“The asteroid interior was one gigantic city that clung to the walls. The center of it was a sizeable spaceport, and I immediately identified the Togar battle-cruiser. Mao said.

“Could we be this lucky?” I could not help feeling sick inside. Seeing that asteroid city, I estimated millions of beings lived here and if there was even a slim chance, this renegade Translocator tech had spilled the secrets of Translocator technology here, my orders were quite clear and I had to exterminate every living thing and destroy the asteroid. I tried to appease myself, as I had the option of investigating to make sure. Har-Hi saw my face and suddenly became as serious as I felt.

“That secret part of your orders, right?” “Yes, Har-Hi. I might have to become a monster very soon.

“I sighed and said.

“Elfi, make sure we are monitoring all communications. If they mention anything in regards to Lia and the others, inform me right away.

“Fivcheer sat in his chair as if he would be sleeping, but he said.

“There is a significant portion of communication conducted via Psionic means. Too many for me to monitor all.

“Narth sat down next to our Leedei specialist and after a moment he said.

“It is beyond my range, I am supporting Fivcheer, but even with my help there is too much.

“I cursed under my breath, that would complicate things and there was no way I could prevent the proliferation of the most important Union secrets if that renegade Union officer had already spilled the goods.

“If we can not monitor it, we should be able to shut it down, at least for a while. Narth turned his head to look at me directly.

“You have this ability indeed, but you are still refusing psionic training. Such an attempt could be dangerous with unforeseeable consequences.

“I returned his gaze.

“No, my hooded friend. I will stay away from all this uber-power stuff as long as I can. I know we have a psi-lab and I remember you guys turning a pirate captain into an idiot. Can we not upload something like a psionic virus or suggestion to do the same to whoever is doing the communications?” Fivcheer raised his head.

“Utterly brilliant, that psionic net seems wide open. Never thought of something like that. Narth also sent me emotions of him being deeply impressed and said.

“Fascinating idea.

“While Shaka took us down onto one of the tiers that made up this spaceport, Har-Hi repeated his question.

“I still like to have some outline as to how we approach this. There is the former Togar ship, right across from us.

““I settle for me being not rendered unconscious, abducted, burned or otherwise incapacitated,” I said.

“All you have to do is being a regular standard Union captain. Stay inside the ship and let us do these things that could get you burned, abducted and all that.

“My XO replied. I pointed at the Togar cruiser.

“I doubt its crew is aboard, they are most likely all over the place. So I like Circuit to do his Nanite magic and make sure that cruiser is not going anywhere. Maybe Luitenant Bergdorf and his associates can do some recon in that Togar ship.

“Charles Bergdorf jumped into the air and hovered with his arti gravs at my eye-level.

“Aye captain, I can’t wait to do that.

““Be careful, Charles.

““We will be.

“Another Mini Terran floated up. I was sure it was Salhof.

“Can we do a little demolition too? I had to smile.

“Yes, Mr. Salhof at your heart’s content, but subtle.

“Then I looked towards my Security chief.

“Hans, I want you and Shea go over every ship that is here and get us the best assessment of their capabilities, owners and so forth.

““Can I help with that?” SHIP asked.

“Of course.

““Roghor, I like to rely on your experience. I know officially you are a cadet, but to me, you are always a commander. Please take the Conn and make sure we can leave if we have to. You have my authorization to fire, shoot and burn anything that might try to prevent that and take the Tigershark outside if you feel this is necessary, regardless who’s in or out. Including me.

“I was not done and said.

“Fective and TheOther, please take a few marines and make sure nothing is attached to our hull.

“Har-Hi nodded.

“Great orders, Captain. How about us?” “I am just getting started, my friend. Narth and the rest of our Psionic specialists will work on shutting down their psi comm. Xon and Elfi, you know what to do, scan the regular comm traffic. If they mention anything related to our galaxy, I like to know about it.

“I went up the small flight of steps accessing the rear of our bridge.

“Mao, you are with me.

“I took my Tactical Officer into my office and said after the door was closed.

“I need you to analyze this rock in terms of destroying it.

“I filled him in our secret orders and he nodded.

“We have two Satan Eggs in the Armory for exactly such a purpose. I will give you a detailed demolition and extermination plan as soon as I can.

“Back out, I pointed at Har-Hi. Looks like you and me going to check out that place.

“The I.S.T. doors to the left opened and an S-60 service robot wearing my leather suit came in.

“Tyron?” “Yes, Captain.Ensign Tyron Suit reporting for duty. I am completely restored.

““And I care not what regulations say.

“I hugged the suit.

“I thought I lost you.

““Captain, there is no greater honor than serving and protecting you.

““You saved my life, Tyron.

““And I want nothing else than have a chance to do so again.

““Well let us not run into flaming denizens of the Anti-Verse again or pick fights with things that are beyond us.

“Har-Hi rolled his eyes.

“Fat chance, Captain.

“Shea giggled.

“He has fifty credits in Sodoby’s pool, betting that you will pick a fight before this is over.

““Tell-tale!” He glared at Shea.

“You are in it as well.

““There is a pool and you bet on things I do or don’t do?” Sodoby hurried to answer.

“It is just an innocent thing, captain. Bookmaking always makes a nice profit.

““You just might be as rich as Shea’s stepfather and you aiming to make a few credits profit ... betting on me?” He raised his shoulders in an apologetic gesture.

“Profit is profit captain and I am what I am.

“I grunted.

“Betting on me, now that is something. Who else is in it?” “Everyone, Captain. Everyone including SHIP.

““I must be the first CO that has a gambling SHIP.

“Har-Hi said.

“The crew of the Devi bets on Stahl’s reactions too.

““I doubt CENTRON is in on it.

““Probably not.

“SHIP said with a little guilt in her voice.


The Assembly was always in session, but the recent events had it buzzing like a hornets’ nest. The incident of the escaped prisoners was forgotten by most. The sudden reveal of active trans-spatial gates all across Union space, and beyond was on everyone’s mind. Especially since two of them had been revealed deep in Union core space and had been used by unknowns of distant galaxies to carry out attacks. Egill did not as usual recline and listen to the discussions and debates in a state of relaxed dozing. He sat up and was making actual notes. His friend the Narth Representative had just appeared, along with a floating tray of something that smelled very appetizing and had a distinct aroma of fried fish and fresh Nilfeheim bread. Egill turned and raised his bushy eyebrows.

“There are Neo Vikings on Pluribus, family?” “One would not be here in an alcove of the Assembly if ones God-son had come to Pluribus Unum. One prioritizes this above all.

““Yeah I know, you are spoiling that little boy.

““One knows.

““Oh, so you do know what spoiling a child means. Nevermind that, however. I smell Nilfeheim food.

““It is enterprising Elena Olafson, she has created a new business venture. The Hungry Viking, a restaurant chain featuring Viking food choices. I decided to sample it.

““Wait a moment, you did not bring me any?” “No.

“Egill crossed his arms and grunted.

“You are a fine friend, I’d say.

““One did not bring you any of these food choices, because one met Alegar at said venue. He is already bringing you samples of the menu. One merely is faster due to teleportation.

““And they didn’t even invite me for the grand opening!” “They did, but you dismissed it. Sif performed a ritual called ribbon cutting, instead of you.

“Egill remembered the message, and also remembering not reading it. He did, however, welcome Alegar’s sudden appearance with bags of delicious smelling food. The beautiful Saresii almost ran into Egill and cursed very unladylike, not that he really was one in the first place.

“Gorgors stinking bowels, you could warn me before you teleport me in mid strife.

““You were complaining that one did not teleport you as well. One rectified it.

““I was thinking ... never mind. I am a telepath and should be used to you sneaking inside my thoughts.

““One has not sneaked, one has the expressed permission unless you revoked that privilege.

““You know better than that. Not that I completely buy your innocent Narth routine.

““One must confess this is a very astute observation. One is also surprised to find ones friend Egill, awake and paying full attention to the proceedings in this Assembly dome.

“Egill fished a Nilfeheim bacon bread out of Alegar’s bag and said.

“I am always paying attention, but these recent developments are serious enough for others to see me paying attention.

““The Ancient Gate issue?” The Saresii leader asked.

“Yes, one of them was found just eight lightyears from Solken. As much as we want to believe otherwise, Nilfeheim Neo-Vikings will stand no chance if what happened to Kelly’s Planet happens to us.

““You did defeat the Nogoll, did you not?” “An advanced scouting party that was influenced by our secret guardian, Tyr. You know there is no defense against shielded battle suits or orbital bombardment, at least not with swords and ax.

“All three were paying attention, as the speaker of the assembly projected a visual of a battle group of the First Fleet passing through one of these recently revealed ancient gates. The recording showed the Devi being the first. The recording then showed First Fleet under the lead of Admiral Stahl taking a heavy toll of an unknown fleet. A chance of scene showed Marines raining on a Nocenzi world. The Nocenzi were a warrior race and if first indications proved to be correct, a major civilization in the M-110 dwarf galaxy, aggressive with better tech than even the Kermac. Yet they stood no chance against the unbridled anger of Union forces led by the Eternal Warrior. The legendary leader was as always right up front, perhaps even deployed with the first wave, instead of leading from his mighty battleship. The Assembly and a large number of citizen watching via GalNet witnessed Stahl’s actions. Many saw him doing what his legends and stories always told. Stahl directed his forces alright, he did not cease to be their commanding officer. A voice link made his steady flow of commands and orders accessible to the audience. Stahl listened to dozens of report links, watched tactical screens and had units respond, all the while he took cover from Nocenzi fire, tossing a grenade and vaporizing the better half of an enemy flier tank with a blast of his TKU. Agile like a graduate of boot camp, with the seasoned experience of someone wearing a destroyer suit for longer than anyone Stahl flanked over the remains of that burning flier and decapitated a Nocenzi battle robot with his chainsword. In all this action, the deep voice remained calm as if he would sit behind a desk.

“Carpenter, take your platoon, around that mountain range, I am painting on your map and silence that sky pointing hardware.

““Captain Yellowdeck, check those rocks between the fourth and fifth orbit. I have seen Nocenzi ships heading there.

“The visuals faded and there was a moment of silence until the Petharian representative rattled in deep awe.

“This Union is blessed to have a warrior like this! He has no equal.

“The beautiful representative of the Delicate said.

“This is how we deal with aggressors. We are so proud he fights for us.

““Have you seen him, deal with that robot, all the while giving orders for a distant fleet unit?” The Blue representative asked. The speaker of the Assembly, a genuine Bandrupo was, of course, a size-reduced avatar projection, as the real being was simply too big, even for the Assembly Dome. He said.

“I have shown this recording upon request of the planet manager of Kelly’s Planet. The next recording will show Admiral Gaylord and Admiral McElligott, responding to the same crisis.

“The visuals and the accompanying audio was truly embarrassing. It showed Gaylord on Para-Para and him commanding his fleet to assemble but not to deploy until he could be there and lead them to glorious victory. When he was told the unknowns were technologically more advanced than the Kermac, he said.

“Let the first Fleet deal with it. I don’t want to report 19th fleet casualties.

“The recording ended with Gaylord’s and McElligott’s appearance on Kelly’s planet. The planet manager of Kelly’s Planet was introduced as Finbarr Kelly as he stepped onto the focus platform at the very center of the Assembly.

“I promised that piss ant Admiral consequences. Almost 22,000 fatal casualties are not a trivial number as the admirals say. I punched him and now he wants me before a Union court on assault charges.

“Kelly waved his sizeable fists.

“That’s not why I am here though. I want to know what the Union is going to do about those damn gates?” The Quadiped representative said.

“We blow them up, but not before we sent Admiral Gaylord through it, riding a life raft or something.

“More and more representatives wanted to speak and the result was a vote on removing Gaylord from command and reduction in rank to private. As ridiculous this sounded, it became an actual Assembly decision with over 91 percent of the votes in favor of that resolution. The added idea of having him painted yellow and run through the Assembly park was defeated but only by a slim margin. The Science Council was asked to give an assessment and the Vantax holding the Chief Science Councilor title complied.

“Our preliminary report is now in front of all of you. It is summarized as follows: The gates have great potential to explore past our own galaxies, but also pose potential gateways of unknown dangers and potential aggressors, as it has been demonstrated It is not known who constructed the gates, the potential these creators still exist is possible. The gates have been constructed for a reason, the reason is unknown and must, therefore, be considered potentially dangerous or harmful to the Union.

“The Security Council represented by a shrouded Grey Ghost spoke.

“It is the opinion of the Grey Ghosts and Union Internal security, that we should research the gates function and try to understand its technology. How and why are these gates placed? Where do they lead? We must also find ways to monitor these gates and find ways to detect them.

“Again the Petharian spoke.

“Science is all good and fine until citizens and assets are in danger. I say we blow them up. We will be reaching such technology eventually ourselves.

““What if the Y’All used gates like this?” The Wurgus representative asked. Alegar said.

“Looks like we going to be here a while. They are just getting started.

“Egill shrugged.

“I see no reason why. If it would be up to me, we combine all ideas into one plan and go from there.

““And just for curiosity, how exactly?” “You are not having me on Assembly wide speakers right?” “No.

“Egill scratched his beard and looked at his notes.

“Create a Science Council Department solely dedicated to the research of all questions regarding the Ancient Gates, identify its makers, the agenda, replicate and understand the technology. Find ways to control the gates functions.

“Alegar nodded.

“Not bad at all.

“Egill was not done.

“We also should claim them for the Union. All of them, regardless of where they are working or not. Unoccupied space objects can be claimed for salvage and ownership if I understand the commonly accepted practice correctly.

“The Narth stopped eating his fish soup.

“One is amazed by your ability to come to these solutions. Narth observed this ability in your granddaughter as well.

“Egill grinned.

“Who do you think thaught Eric to think?” Now on a roll, the former hermit of Nilfeheim added.

“All gates need to be mapped. If we find them all, maybe the pattern or the destination will answer the question of why they were built.

“He looked at his notes.

“Each gate must be rigged for destruction. So we can close the door, just in case of something we can’t handle wants to get through.

“The Narth said.

“Let us hope, your education had as much effect on Eric as it had on Erica.

““I thought Narth do not hope, besides Eric and Erica is the same person. Eric decided to become female.

““In this matter, all there is for anyone to do is hope, Egill. And Eric and Erica are not the same person.

“The Narth then got up and signaled his intent to address the Assembly. The Speaker recognized him and opened the focus for the Narth. The shrouded representative said.

“We recommend a combination of these approaches. First by the creation of a Science Council Department...”


Har-Hi and I had left the Tigershark and the airless landing platform behind and had entered the wall lining city of Quarva. It was a three-dimensional labyrinth of buildings, corridors, tunnels, walkways, traffic arteries, and vacuum tube trains going in every which way. There was nothing in terms of unifying signage or a central computronic system that could give directions. Not that we had a particular destination in mind. Unlike Brhama there wasn’t just one or two taverns and bars, but thousands of them and pretty much every one of them was for pirates and the shady business. We still had no idea who actually ran the place. Every time we asked someone we got a different answer, and most of the time no answer at all. Har-Hi and I had just stepped out of something that reminded me of a Veri-Shooter. I had seen the Union version of these vertical transport systems in a virtue about Pluribus, unlike the shiny and clean union tech, this one was dirty, and had no doors or anything in these terms. It was just a fast moving vertical conveyor belt with compartments big enough for a Petharian. The local gravitation at least where we were focused on the bottom, not the center of the asteroid. It was also only about 75 percent of standard. We had taken the verti shooter thing from the spaceport concourse, which was as unorganized as everything we have seen here so far and traveled a few levels upward.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.