Erica Olafson, Voyages of the Tigershark (Vol 8)
Chapter 16: Gird of Power Incarnate

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

The thing didn’t move. Narth said.

“I am holding it. It is strong but not unmanageable.

“SHIP called.

“The asteroid has revealed previously unknown weaponry. It is taxing our shields to almost 20 percent.

““Are you in danger?” “Oh, no captain. That tech is quite advanced, and I think it is Orlan but Mao took those weapons out with kilo loads. I was just reporting.

“I dialed my TKU to 10 and said.

“It’s going to get mighty hot in here. Narth your shields are on, right?” “No, captain. I can’t use psionics with these advanced shields.

““Okay, I count to three.

“The old woman was out of her mind.

“What is this?” “One - two - three.

“Thanks to my suit enhanced senses, I noticed Narth’s shields come on and I fired. The TKU hammered into the alien war machine, just as it fired at me. Suit’s shield’s held, the robots did not. My blast punched a hole through its chest right where its head was. Carpet, curtains, and furniture in the path of the blast was set ablaze instantly, but only for seconds. The blast had hammered not only through the old robot but through the wall. It turned out, the old woman’s office was not in but on the asteroid. The fires went out because all atmosphere left the room quite quickly. Which was unfortunate for Myra Bassett, she didn’t wear any kind of sealable suit.


Shea watched Circuit as he still examined the remnants of the Orlan war machine and said to me.

“It is TL 10 for sure, but it appears the Orlans did not develop much in terms of weapons. That robot would not even be a match to a Cerberus. Hans and his team encountered several dozen of the same kind. It didn’t even slow them down much and he did not feel it was worth reporting.

“Circuit got up, while Warner standingood right in the chest cavity my blast made.

“It would have been a much more formidable opponent but it looks like it was at the end of its resources. This is very good neutronium laced armor, but a billion years is an awfully long time for any material, especially moving parts.

“Circuit pointed at the yellow seal foam that he had used to patch the wall breach.

“Most of the asteroid’s tech is not even Tech 7.

“Jolaj walked into the office of the old lady.

“We were able to save the lives of both brothers, but the decompression and sudden temperature drop were too much for Myra Bassett. Cateria could only confirm her death.

“When Hans stomped in, the floor vibrated.

“We placed the PHRS-PANDORA container, all we need is your signal and this rock will be lifeless within the hour.

““You encountered any problems you want me to know about?” Hans made a puzzled face.

“No not really, Captain. We suffered no casualties, other than Corporal Gefnor, tripping over an airlock barrier and accidentally backhanding Sergeant Miller. Boy, I tell you, Captain, if a Petharian backhand you wearing a strength augmenting Atlas suit, you feel it. But he wasn’t really hurt other than his ego perhaps. I assure you it was an unintentional accident.

“He looked guilty.

“I am sorry for not putting it in the report.

“TheOther right behind him said.

“You didn’t even make a report yet.

“Hans eyes widened and sighed.

“I will put it in, Captain.

“I had a hard time not to laugh out loud.

“No, Hans. I wasn’t talking about that. I mean did you not encounter unusual tough battle robots?” My security chief could not shake his neck, but he tried anyhow. TheOther helped him out.

“She means those odd-looking robots, the ones we smashed.

““Ah, those! No, Captain, they weren’t particularly tough.

““I see.

“Har-Hi was obviously fighting a laugh as well, I noticed despite his new Do suit mask.

“Maybe the Orlan’s never anticipated our special kind of wrecking crew.

“Mao called me over the wrist com.

“Captain, there are five Merrimac destroyers approaching the system. ETA eight minutes.

““Fleet Units?” “No transponders at all.

““Cloak the Tigershark and cease all combat activity, let’s see who they are. Five Merrimac’s with their MALS are a serious opponent. I have a feeling they are not fleet.

“Mao still on the line said.

“We got a Miguel Alcubierre Light Speed wavefront Energy Hammer, but it was never fully connected during our first mission. Now it is.

“Har-Hi pointed at himself.

“Would I be here with you if there was still any sort of combat activity out there?”


“I can’t detect a Merrimac energy signature in the system,” Ronald said, manning the tactical station of the Killer-Clown. Ronald was perhaps even crazier than his boss, a true killing sociopath, he was a good mercenary but far from a good scanner operator, otherwise the lack of any artificial energy contacts other than the mines and the asteroid would have caused concern. Nick said.

“We dock, then we figure things out. Maybe they know if he was there.

“He motioned towards the Comm Console.

“Go hail the Bassett’s.”

--- Elfi called.

“It’s Nick Harlequin he requests docking permission.

““What do you know, he came to us. Give him that permission, I much rather deal with him here, than when his forces are deployed planetside.”


Gerz, the Botnaar said.

“We received landing permission. I have to say whoever is on duty on their end is quite polite.

“Nick was too much in thoughts to register. For decades he was on the top of the game. And now he was on the run. His Union accounts frozen. A Notice to appear issued by a Union court. He knew he would lose his citizen privileges if he did not answer that summon. Could he risk it? If anything it was his brother who they were after, but he could not give an alibi. The assault and the extermination of sentient beings from a world within Union space were far more serious and a guaranteed one-way ticket to the scaffold. Not to mention the highly illegal Union Mil-Tech in his ships. His Killer Clown retaining the MALS and all Loki torpedoes alone was a certain life sentence. He needed to talk to his brother, maybe even drag him before Union authorities. The bounty alone would be more than worth it. Nick gave the order to dock. He was not taking chances of course and only his senior staff was to leave the ships, congregate in a tavern and see if anyone knew about Chucky’s whereabouts. What he did not notice was the streams of quite advanced nanites streaming in as his crews opened the hatches. Neither did any of the bridge crews notice the activation of the prime code sequence. Ever since the Whakey incident during the last Kermac/Union war, Union fleet computronics retained a Prime Code sequence, re-establishing Union Fleet Command authority over the AI systems of all Union fleet vessels. While the Red Dragon knew about this feature and had it eliminated, the customers of surplus Union vessels without any command officer training did not. That a very advanced NNNTH interface assisted AI circumvented all layers of command codes, quietly fast and without rising any alerts and re-established was, of course, another aspect quite unique to this act. Nick Harlequin and twenty of his senior officers marched down the mooring arm tunnel. None of them really registering that there were no other ships of any kind moored. He was confident in his fighting abilities and his men, who were armed to the teeth and battle-hardened fighting experts. As he stepped through the final energy curtain that separated the mooring arm from the asteroids main concourse, he did wonder about the quiet ambiance, there was no one. None of the usual milling crowds. None of the stores that were right here were open. Ronald hefted his Raketen Gewehr differently and his white and red make up face with the painted on smile showed concern.

“Is there some sort of holiday? Where is everyone?” The Botnaar, listening to the name of Gerz having blue and white makeup in his frightening face and similar colored markings on his suit shared Ronald’s concerns.

“Something is very wrong here!” A huge Saturnian stepped in their way, wearing what looked like the very latest Quasimodo destroyer suit, holding a full-sized TKU landing tank cannon.

“No, sir’s everything will be alright. In the name of the United Stars of the Galaxies, and by the authority invested in me by the Assembly of the Union. I hereby place you, Nick Harlequin and all associates of the Nick Harlequin Inc. under arrest.

“While he said that, fifty Union Marines in similar suits aiming their SITKUs shimmered into existence. Ronald had his weapon at the ready managed to fire. A three burst of rockets left his expensive weapon, but all three micro missiles stopped in mid-flight and kept hanging in midair. Nick did not even notice the black haired human teenager, wearing an all-black version of a Quasimodo. He only had eyes for the Saturnian giant.

“This is outrageous! I am a Union citizen and this is not Union space.”


I felt like a dwarf as I stepped around my security chief.

“This installation and its operators have by deed and association plotted and engaged in hostile activities against Union assets within declared Union space. These hostile actions were declared to be an act of war by the Assembly and ratified by a Union-wide vote. This facility has been placed under Union control and is thus Union territory. You are implicated in a large number of crimes, including alleged genocide, Mil-Tech trade and the possession of prohibited weapons without possessing proper licenses. Furthermore, a member of your company has been identified as the main suspect in an act of piracy against an official Union vessel.

“Nick became very angry and his complexion under his white make up changed as he yelled.

“I have five Merrimac destroyers filled with an entire regiment of battle-trained mercenaries. You little blonde bitch better think twice and let me go on. Your marines do not impress me.

““Marines be so kind and impress the gentleman. Reduce his companionship.”


“Yes, Admiral Sir. I got Nick Harlequin and all of his men in custody. Well, what is left of them. My Marines were able to impress him after all. Brhama Port is under my control. There is significant ancient tech, apparently of Orlan origin. The nearby travel gate or wormhole structure is, according to my Science officer controlled by a device that is of similar but not the same origin. Do you want me to activate the PHRS-PANDORA device?” “Good Lord, McElligott gave you one of those?” “No, Sir we have twenty.

““I am sending a battle group. We taking over management of Brhama Port. Wait for them to arrive. Secure the PHRS-PANDORA device and if you can never use any of them.

““Aye Sir. Will I have to go after Nick and his men in a year or so?” “Frankly I don’t know. I am not Judge or Jury, and neither should you be. I agree it is frustrating that the pirates and the Worm agents escaped, but we should not let our emotions guide our actions. If I did that, the Kermac would be history long ago and I would be Emperor of the Union. I trust you and to be honest, I like you like a son ... or a daughter now. We gave you a terrible instrument of war and it appears the other Admiral gave you tools and weapons no one should have because we know you can be trusted with those. Erica, go after the escaped prisoners and kill if you must, but not just if you can.

“I swallowed because he was right.

“Aye Sir, I see your point and will heed your advice.

““Any idea where those escapees went?” “Not for certain, but Nick Harlequin and Kirku Bassett are both of the opinion that N’Ger would be the most likely port of call.

““Alright, keep after them. I want to know who pulled the strings. I really despise Nick and his crazy outfit but making such a blatant mistake is not him.

““I keep an open mind and follow the trail wherever it leads.

““The Thirteenth is closest, Battlegroup 13 Red Alpha is on its way. Their ETA is four days.”


Richard closed the connection and leaned back. McElligott had given her one of the most controversial and quite secret weapons, the PHRS-PANDORA. He personally refused to even stock it in any of his ships or bases. He knew the Space Force kept a supply in form of warheads, but its use was to be Assembly Approved and as a last-ditch effort. He was in his office at Arsenal IV, overseeing the refit of the USS Dominator and the integration of the Lyrec battleships. Erica’s gift turned out to be a logistical nightmare of Russian Nesting doll character. The Karmat came with nine Lyrec battleships. Each Lyrec had hundreds of Seenian frigates, cruisers and thousands of destroyers and smaller craft. While the gift represented a value of many Trillion dollars and increased the fighting strength of the entire Union fleet in a considerable way; while it made bureaucrats and logistics officers, chief of them Admiral McElligott salivate, it wasn’t him. Even though he had plans to give the Dominator to Harris, and once again take command of his beloved Devastator. There was Seenian Technology inside those Lyrecs and the Karmat, he had to deal with. The Dominator, for example, had a vault with 500,000 Casern type Battle robots, while they were accepting him as command giver because Erica gifted the ship to him. They represented a terrible source of power, he was still contemplating what to do with them. He then realized he was no longer alone. His future wife was one of those beings, but she had kept her word and used doors, the entity that stepped out of the deep shadows that were past his desk lamp would have caused fear in many, but he knew the being and considered it almost a friend. As much as a simple human could be friends with a god-like entity that is. The Narth Supreme said with his deep voice.

“I consider you a friend, at least as much as a simple Narth can be to the one they call the Eternal Warrior.

““To you, I am just an infant, hardly anything even remotely eternal. Not that I came up with this rather silly title.

““I find it quite befitting, and where does an eternity begin? It is certainly a concept that is not linear but Omni-inclusive.

““And there you are, trying to share your wisdom and I am unable to really comprehend.

““She is no longer the same, isn’t she?” Stahl, of course, knew what the Narth Supreme meant.

“She appears to be the same, but I feel her approach to things has changed.

““The Dark One has stirred in her before, but without her conscious knowledge. On Thana Shoo it stirred and rose to the surface. Erica is now aware of the Dark One and he is no longer sleeping, that what is Eric is now firmly bonded with what is the Dark One. Tyr has lost control over Dark Blade, it is with her and so is Bereaver. She no longer forgets the ring.

““What are you saying? Do we need to contain her somehow?” “No force can contain what is in her. If the current vessel is destroyed or killed, the prophecy ends and so does all existence as we know it. No one, not even the Voice knows what will happen then. I came to assure you my support as you are the Rock and the foundation. She will eventually go her separate way from Eric who is the Dark One, but both Eric and Erica love and respect you. Keep what I reveal to you close to you and remain the guide to a human child that will evolve into an entity, even the Voice of the Rule calls a god. Its first incarnation was evil and darkness ultimate, but there are indications its new awakening will be tempered by the strongest force of all the Omniverse. A force we Narth had to rediscover, you humans call it love.”


The Battlegroup was still at least a day out and I was actually sitting behind the desk that once belonged to Myra Bassett. I didn’t have much leisure time for sure, as we officially occupied the asteroid under Assembly authority. I had defacto became the governor of the occupying force. Union laws and regulations, I didn’t even know existed but Narth had no problem quoting were quite specific as what I had to do. For one I had to speak with representatives of miners, of the Bassett family, of merchants and business owners. Mining owners wanted to know about the status of their claims. Thankfully I had a Yeoman who was a walking law library. I had just dismissed the elected spokesperson of the bar and tavern owners. Assuring them that there were no plans to kill everyone and that they could do business as usual. Lease and rent contracts would be pending but most likely less than before and they would have to register as Union businesses. That I told them a white lie, because I had planned to indeed kill them all, was due to the talk I had with the Admiral. I leaned back and listened into myself, had I really planned to kill them all? Yes, the Bassetts were a sore, criminal bunch but Stahl was right. I was not their judge, I was a Union Officer and not an executioner motivated by my own mood and feelings.

“Yes, you are the executioner. The ultimate judge of all that lives. You are the final answer, the end of all things. Decay and oblivion. The anti-light and the force that vanquishes what is created.

“These words came from within and I knew they were true.

“You killed and destroyed the floating rocks. It was you who obliterated the Iteamh mountain village and it was you who killed over a thousand beings at Thana Shoo, many with a mere thought. You did because You and I are the same. We are one.

““I want to resist you. I want to remain human. How can I live knowing I will be you? I hold honor, respect and duty sacred. I love Shea. I love Narth and Har-Hi. I love my friends and my ship.

““You are me! What you become is your choice, the time of our awakening is not so distant anymore.

“I sighed deeply and realized, Har-Hi had come in and with him was a smudgy, slightly overweight man with a miner’s helmet in his beefy hands. I straightened myself and smiled. I had changed into my Union uniform and said.

“You might not recognize me Mikesh, but I recognize you.

“He turned his worried face to my Dai XO and said.

“How does she know me? I didn’t do anything criminal.

““Why don’t you ask her?” He suggested. He came to my desk.

“Ms. Union Captain, I heard a pirate named Black Velvet came about the same time you came. If you have her in custody, I want to vouch for her, she has a good heart and I didn’t do anything that would concern you mighty Union Bullies anyway!” His voice became more resolute as he went on.

“Mikesh, what you just said warms my heart indeed. I am Black Velvet, it is sort of an undercover alter ego. Not that I am sure it will be much of an undercover thing after this.

“He squinted his eyes and bend over the desk to look at me closer.

“Syrigh na Plaska, you do have her eyes.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.