Erica Olafson, Voyages of the Tigershark (Vol 8) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Voyages of the Tigershark (Vol 8)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 7: Let's Go

This situation reminded me of my first visit to Sin 4. I did not know where I was, brought here against my will. Abducted, stripped of everything I owned. I was once again bare feet, had several blisters and burn wounds. My hair was a mess, at least In didn’t have to go pee. Darn it thinking about it, made realize I actually did.

I was still running across that landing field, not knowing where I was going, but I knew I still stuck out like a sore thumb, being the only pin skinned human.

The field was not littered with garbage and wrecks as the spaceport of Sin 4 was, but it was crowded with mostly smaller spaceships of various origins, tech levels and state of maintenance. There were boxes, bundles, and barrels of wares spilling out from them or being loaded into them.

The loading activity was done by beings, by beasts of burden, robots, and freight handling devices of every type there was.

I attracted more than just a few glances. I was almost certain this was some sort of market place. Some sort of goods and ware exchange.

I was a good runner and prided myself with decent endurance, but I had to slow down. For one thing, a running person attracted more eyes and of course, I was reaching my limits.

I had reached the edge of the landing field and what seemed a shanty town made of tents, makeshift shacks and transport containers of a dozen societies or more, converted into buildings or dwellings of sorts.

Looking back I noticed at least five or six beings following me. One of them raised a weapon, I jumped over a pile of boxes, while a sharp crack and a heavy something shattering the boxes told me that at least one of them was out to kill me.

Dropping to one knee, I took a heartbeat to get my breathing under control, ignored another projectile impact shattering something close to my left and took aim, the line blast hit the running shooter and made the rest dive for cover.

I somersaulted right over the next pile of crates, a calloused dark red hand got a hold of my arm and yanked me under a low hanging tent canvas.

An old Dai looked into the discharge muzzle of my blaster. He glared at me.

“Don’t shoot if you want to stay out of the Man’s hands.”

I eased my finger of the activator, there wasn’t more than a hairs-width play.

“You cut it close mister.I...”

“Shhh!” He put his other finger before his lips and pointed at a pile of fabrics behind him.

“Get under there now!”

More out of impulse than anything I actually did.

It wasn’t a moment too soon. Two or three of those that followed me had reached the tent. I could see them glancing from behind a fold of the smelly coarse fabric.

The first one was a well-armed Dai, but he too wore no glyph and no swords.

“A pale human female came this way. Where is she?”

“I answer not to the goons of the Man, one of you shot into my Gawan-pottery and caused much damage. I want compensation now or I go to the Irwam.”

“You might get shot if you do not speak.”

A huge, non-humanoid being covered with fur, looking almost like an upright walking Fangsnapper and just as big stepped close. He held a cannon like gun.

“The Man goons playing big? The Irwam will not be happy.”

The rest of the men yelled.

“Don’t argue with these Pan-pans. The Union woman is not here, let’s go she can’t be far.”

The threatening goon grunted, eyed the big blaster turned and followed the rest.

The old Dai said to the big non-human.

“Thank you, competitor. I owe you one.”

“I don’t like you Pander-Go, but you are a Pan and I really hate the Man.

“With those words that made not all that much sense to me, the big alien stepped away and was soon out of sight.

The old man said.

“So you are Union, never seen any but I heard much about you.”

I remained behind that pile of fabric.

“Yes, I am Union. I am Erica, and I am not here out of my free will.”

“No one that comes running from a Man ship ever is.”

“There are others that managed to escape?”

“Oh yes, but you are the first female for sure. Or at least since I escaped, forty-eight long times ago.”

“I am still working on that escape thing, I am not out of the woods yet.”

“The Dai raid planets for a good long time, they sell and trade slaves and sentient beings for almost as long and the Man have been doing the business.

“He was still sitting on a coarse fabric cover and what looked like a pillow of sorts while he stared past the tent flaps and the busy paths and alleys of this shanty town.

“This is Jarsumat, which means conjuncture in an old language.”

“Why did you help me, and how did you know I was coming?”

“Someone shooting at my pricey Gawan-pottery got my attention and seeing a half-naked pale female running from Man-goons got my attention. Someone helped me.”

“Yeah, the half-naked part and the pale thing seem to be my biggest problems, on a list of big problems. There isn’t something like a communications hub or so?”

“Let me help you with the first two problems. There are all sorts of ways to send a message. I am assuming you want to contact that Union of yours, right?”

“Yes.”

“There is nothing here. The Dai that come here are not the ones that are friendly to the Union, but there is a Frengo in Paktaru who has connections to the Golden.”

“That will be my best chance then, how can I find this Frengo?”

He pointed to the left side of his tent.

“Oh, about six thousand Gori-Fleeps this way. Straight along the road to Paktaru. It’s a dangerous trip for a traders convoy on the old road, nearly impossible off the old road.”

“Road? Aren’t there fliers or something?”

“This is an old world, Union girl and has never been a Dai world, you do know they are nomads and do not have planets.”

“Yes, I do.”

“I think it is safe for you to come out from behind those Wikti pads. Cover yourself with one and let us go over to Panculag’s tent. He deals with Dance girls, most of them are humanoid and we find you something to wear.”

“You aren’t going to sell me to that Panculag?”

“No, Union Erica, but I think a change of your outfit might help you blend in.”

“I am not much of a dancing girl, but I have to agree, I need to blend in and figure out a way to get to Pactaru.”


Mor-Na was concerned about the reaction of the Elf-Na as he had returned from Hudrin.

He found his Cam still sitting in his command chair, brooding almost sleeping. Starring out the large viewport at the planet below and into deep space.

Without turning Cam Elf-Na said.

“I can feel your tense approach, old Mor-Na. You are the bearer of news I might not like, is that not so?”

“Your senses are as fine, my Cam.”

“Then be Than and speak.”

“The Hi clan will reach Thana Shoo unless we amass our forces now.”

“I am sitting here contemplating this very fact. The Hi clan is not alone, over 1500 his ally clans are with him and we know now for a fact there are Union carriers and several of their battleships. All these are bad news, but these are old news. Where is the Union female?”

“She managed to escape the Wranta-Man and eluded the Han-Man who tried to recapture her.”

“She managed to escape? If she was with the other Daiyee, she was without clothing in a steel cage. How did she manage that?”

“No one knows for sure, the Man who wanted to unload the Daiyee are dead, there is damage to the Wranta. Maybe because she is Laro?”

The Cam turned to his chieftain.

“If she is the living protege of Kai-Da she is as dangerous to all that is Dai, more than the Hi tribe. We must find her. She can be the tool we need to sever that Union shield from our enemy. I prefer to present the Union with a body. Mor-Da she must not reach Thana Shoo.”

“The Man lost her among the tents and stalls of the Pan-Pan. She is without means and will most likely be captured and sold.”

“Then you will be the one capturing or buying her. Take every warrior we have, turn every rock.”

“That will not be easy, my Cam. The Irwam will not be happy about that at all. It is unwise to anger the Irwam.”

“If we fail, it will not matter who is displeased by our actions.

“The Cam put his chin on his fist.

“But I heed your council, for now, dealing with an angry Irwam will add too much distraction.”


Panculag’s tent was a grand affair in an opulent, tackiness style. Bright red and yellow fabric garnished with banners, lights and gilded tassels. It was also quite big for such a temporary structure.

Huddled in the itching and coarse thing Pander-Go called a Wikti-Pad, with one hand on the but of a blaster, I followed the Dai through the tent flaps into an even kitschier interior. Polished brass cage lamps on artfully twisted brass arms, carpets, and rugs covering the floor. A flamboyant Dai, the first fat Dai I ever saw, wearing a flowing almost dresslike garment approached us. That he was of the Dai species I actually only assumed, as he had bright red skin and yellow eyes. His ears were pointed and his hair slicked back.

He wore not a single piece of visible weapon, but every finger adorned with golden rings. He even had a nose ring with attached chains that connected it with his left ear, also adorned with jewelry.

That he was not unprotected became quite clear, by two large non-humanoid guards. I recognized them to be Jakone, both beings were well armed.

The flamboyant, perfumes Dai stopped before us both.

“Pander-Go, what brings a rug and pottery dealer into my tent.

“Panculag did not wait for an answer and seized me up. Not that I see all too much but I think she’s worth a few gold shac.”

“She isn’t for sale Panculag. She needs female attire and she wants to go to Paktaru.”

“Well I owe you for saving my neck and you never wanted anything. So your female will receive the finest things and the attention of a Daiyee groomer.”

The perfumed Dai motioned me to drop the rug.

“No worries, I will behave.”

“You better!”

He almost ate me with his eyes. Then he said.

“A human female, your hair ... Come have a bath and my groomers will tend to your female needs.”

“I am quite certain I can groom myself.”

The fat Dai nodded.

“I am sure you can, my groomers are well trained and female themselves.”

I needed the services and I agreed with Pander-Go that I had to blend in, being the only blonde on a planet where bright red skinned, raven-haired beauties were the norm.


I did take a bath and what the fat Dai called groomers were women with makeup skills. They giggled and coed over my hair and complexion, all three of them found it funny that I was holding to a fully charged blaster the entire time. I felt exhausted and miserable, alone and betrayed. I was not mad at Har-Hi, there were quite a few similarities between his an my culture. However I had seen the division and the injustice that was still rampant on Nilfeheim, he had not. It seemed he had closed his eyes to the conditions that went on in his very own tribe.

I knew Egil wasn’t there and even he did not have the ability to project his thoughts over such a vast distance, but while the women applied a brownish paste all over my body. I was certain I could hear his spirit, telling me to see everything from more than one side. Har-Hi did not hate his father, his mother was still alive and he never had the desire to be female. All this made me see the conditions of Nilfeheim in a different light. Would I have been raised as Eric the Firstborn, never seen my mother beaten to death who could tell what I would see of Lowman misery and the plight of Nilfeheim women? Most likely sitting at the Burgs main table rising tankards of ale and mead blind to anything that wasn’t Clan business.

The paste made my skin many shades darker, it didn’t turn it red. The clothing items they provided me were a mixture of veils and body leather armor. My blonde hair disappeared under a long black wig. The outfit had a weapon belt for my blasters and a single Dai sword over my shoulder.

I was reasonably pleased and was thankful for the kneehigh soft-soled boots. My crew would probably roll over the floor laughing at the red leather things partially covering my boobs. The hooded cape, however, was quite to my liking.

The fat Dai refused any payment from Pander-Go and clapped his hands.

“Spectacular, now the Man will no longer recognize you. Their search efforts will fade.”

“I thank you for all this and it is as much needed as it is welcome. I still must go to Paktaru what is the best or fastest way to go?”


The one they called the Irwam was not Dai, and not humanoid. Too human and Dai eyes it was an six-legged monstrosity with a central column like body and four long tentacles. It also had a pair of long manipulator arms attached to each side of its hump-like upper torso. The Irwam was one of the last Arukiten and one of the three leading species of the Vexpar cooperation.

The pact between the Vexpar and the Dai was almost as old as the Dai itself.

Right here on Jarsumat was the only open connection between the Dai and the Vexpar. The Dai came here to trade and exchange their looted and pirated goods for things they needed.

Jarsumat was a planet of crossroads, of age-old pacts and a thousand legends.

Irwam was not a name but a title and position, but it has been held for over eight thousand planet orbits by the same Arukiten.

No outsider really knew how the Irwam was elected or chosen, but no one questioned the totalitarian power of the Irwam.

The planet had two settlements. One was called the Place of Jarsumat, it was where the spaceport was and where the Dai and their allies would land and do their business. The other place was known as Paktaru, a town, and spaceport for all those who were aligned and associated with the Vexpar but were enemies to the Dai.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.