Erica Olafson, Voyages of the Tigershark (Vol 8) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Voyages of the Tigershark (Vol 8)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 4: Crusted Complications

The USS Gromsmaro was not a supply transporter and not a unit of the Science Council. She was a full sized, late model Union battleship under the command of Captain Bronbohr, a four meters tall Vvolti. Bronbohr was not the most liked commanding officer in the Union fleet, but there was hardly one more correct or fair. His ship and crew were among the top ten vessels in the entire spatial navy in terms of response to alert times, simulated battle honors, efficiency ratings and so forth.

The Gromsmaro and her crew weren’t new to real conflict or battle either.

The battleship joined the two destroyers already in the system six days later.

The conclusions were the same, both the supply transporter and the base had been destroyed by an unknown agent.

The shattered world was no longer just a scientific curiosity but had moved up in importance to critical.

The classification of a situation to critical meant that the issue was not only discussed in the Assembly but also reached the desks of all Union council chiefs and became prime response item for Fleet Command.

Captain Bronbohr shifted his massive body in the substantially enlarged command seat and pointed one of his long and sharp claws at his OPS officer, a Thala of similar size.

“Mr. Hurum, we established that the destruction of Union property and the loss of human life has been caused by an agent of unknown origin ruling out all known natural or causes.”

The Thala, also a little over four meters tall and covered with short brown fur agreed.

“Yes, Captain. Preliminary analysis has been concluded and we are confident to rule out any natural cause. Science Central knows of no natural occurring event that effects a space-born ship and a planet-bound station. Selective targeting suggests sentient action.”

“I am glad we are on the same page then. If the destruction was caused by a sentient agent, where is it?”

“We are still in the process of scanning and surveying the system. Besides Carabis Green, there are seven planets, seventeen planetesimals, sixty-two moons, and a matter cloud. Sir, we have all auxiliary craft deployed and awaiting more Union assets. Since we do not know what we are looking for, we must examine everything.”

“I know this and I applaud the diligent approach, but Admiral Lurom Lurym is breathing down my neck.”

The Tactical officer a humanoid Colorful wondered how a human-sized Thauran Admiral could possibly breathe down the neck of a four-hundred twelve centimeters tall Vvolti, with a bone shield over what could be considered a neck and razor-sharp horn hooks on each side of the elongated head. The officer sitting behind the navigations console was a frightful looking Demonhead but despite that a good friend of the Colorful. As if he sensed his friend and colleagues thoughts.

“Trust me, he can do that just fine. Especially since I am certain the Admiral of the Fleet McElligott is demanding information he can take to the Assembly.”

Captain Bronbohr reprimanded the Demonhead.

“Keep the chit chat for off hours and stay focused.”

“Aye, Sir.”

The captain added.

“Yes I am a big tough looking Vvolti and Admiral Lurym is a Thauran, but trust me when the commandant of SPIWACOM wants answers, no matter how tough your neck maybe it can get quite hot.”

The science officer, another Colorful said.

“Captain, Sir. Whatever engine trails there were have certainly dissipated by now.”

“And you telling me this why?”

“Because there is an alternative possibility, the aggressor did not leave any noticeable engine trails. Either because it is vastly superior and uses propulsion unknown to us, or inferior and uses Jump technology.”

“Go on.”

“I contacted Z-Point station and Augurus.”

“Z-Point station? Isn’t that a space station parked a million light-years at the apex point of our galaxy? What do they have to do with our current situation and who is Augurus?”

Like all science officers, when given the chance they loved to share information.

“Established in 3497 OTT, by a Secret Council Vote of the Assembly. The Augurus program uses the Z-Point stations to monitor the entire galaxy for hyperjump activity. They also conduct Quasi-Space traffic detection research. In summary, the Augurus group seeks and researches methods to track and locate vehicle and traffic and non-Union civilizations.”

The huge CO shifted even more in his seat to give all his attention to the Colorful at the science station.

“I begin to understand. What did you find?”

“Augurus records show only seventy-eight weak hyperjump activity pulses over the last twenty years in this region, three of them, with a margin of error of course into this system and two of them leaving. The most recent one terminating in N-746554696, an unexplored star system 122 light years from here.”

“Navigation lay in a course to N-746554696. Helm get us there as fast as possible. Communications, inform SPIWACOM and request additional resources.”


“I can not order you, Erica,” Admiral Stahl said.

“but the Dai situation is an important one. They are proud people, but they are also responsible for much death and mayhem. They are pirates to the rest of the galaxy. Smaller less defended Union systems are vulnerable and now that we have several member species and potential new members in the Downward sector we must get a handle on it.”

The eternal warrior was, so it appeared in an office planetside and he kept speaking.

“Tar Kar-Hi’s decision to throw his lot with the Union, was in many ways more surprising with much more serious repercussions than the Golden joining us. Now I know Har-Hi’s father managed to gather about 2000 tribes but according to his estimate there are about seven to eight thousand left. Not counting the ones that are supposedly Okthi and still exist.”

“I do what I can, from what I understand I am to add my witness account to that of Har-Hi. There is not much else I can do.”

“You are the best friend of Har-Hi and he is the son of one of the Tar. Whatever that means, you are going to Thana Shoo their most sacred place and talk to the Pale Ones. This is a great opportunity to find out more about our new red-skinned friends. While you gallivanting around wherever Thana Shoo might be, I make sure your ship and your crew are ready for your next mission.”

“To be honest, Sir. I can hardly wait to see my ship again.”

“I know what you mean, girl. You gifted us with that monster and what did we find, nine Devi sized ships in her hangars. Not to mention an entire fleet of Seenian frigates and destroyers. We haven’t facilities or space docks big enough to receive the Dominator. While we are building them as we speak, I am going to be busy for decades getting them ready for Union service.”

“I am sorry sir, I didn’t think about that.”

“I am not complaining, girl. You basically doubled the strength of our fleet overnight and that gift has been noticed. For now, it was decided, I will take credit for that, as we want to keep the details and your name out of the public eye for now.”

“I didn’t do it for the glory or for recognition anyway.”

“We know that and that aspect of you makes me especially proud of you.”

“Sir, your praise means more to me than medals anyway.”

“As it may be, you are now technically on duty. We want you to keep your eyes and ears open, act on Union behalf. You are technically still detached to NAVINT after all.”

I saluted despite being out of uniform and severed the GalNet connection.

Tar Kar-Hi has provided me with elaborate quarters for me to retire and refresh. While he wanted to speak to his son, in private.

While the servants, two of them Laurin Oghr were attentive, they were also female and did not speak a single word.

I leaned back and looked out the viewport. The huge Exer-Hi was moving, the Dai-Nest of which much was still under construction fell back and slowly became smaller. I knew this Dai Mother was only one of several mothers the Hi clan had, and from what Har-Hi told me, she was one of the biggest and oldest.

While I was assured by Har-Hi and his father to be an honored guest, I felt almost like a prisoner. I wondered how the Tar would have greeted me as Eric. I did not doubt Har-Hi’s friendship but I was sure he was caught between his friendship to me and his loyalty to his father and his position as the Prince of this tribe.

That my decision to remain female even after our mission, complicated things I knew. It had complicated and changed the reception of my own family.

An artificial male voice coming from no particular direction announced a visitor and moments later Alii-Hi, came in bowed and then took of her face veil.

“Alii hopes the accommodations are to your liking, she who is now a sister of Har-Hi.”

“They are fine and opulent, they will do fine for the time I am aboard.”

“Alii is pleased then.”

“So you are Har-Hi’s mother. I have seen you at the Diamond Ball, but we did not exchange words.”

“Speaking in the open is still something Dai Women must get used to. His magnificence has decreed that we are allowed to go to Union School. Many young females are taking this opportunity. Alii and many of her sisters, however, are perhaps too old.”

She sat down.

“Alii is the mother of Har-Hi, but the Kar has many sons and many females. Alii is amazed at what it means to be a mother to you humans.”

“I am learning that. You Dai are human in origin, but it is clear the shared roots we share are far distant and you developed into a different species with customs that are different from ours.”

“Alii came to you to learn and speak of Har-Hi, she also came to teach you the ways of Dai females.”

“Alii I gladly tell you about Har-Hi as much as I can, however, I am not going to be a propper Dai female. I think your veils are cute and all that, but I do not feel second to men and I am afraid I have not a very demure or subservient nature.”

“Alii is amazed, but her son has already made that clear. You speaking to the Tar like you did confirm this. Dai women are demure and subservient but only to Than that deserve it. Alii wears a sword and has ended the life of sixteen Than and seventeen female Dai. She is good to be the Tar’s first female. Alii has accompanied the Tar to the surface of a world that we raided.”

“That is good to know.”

“Dai woman are not Than, but that frees them to do things Than cannot do.”

“The sneaky stuff, I get it.

“I was reminded of the Avenging Angels of the Sojonites and the training I received. While it made no difference to many if I was male or female. It was at the core of so much at pretty much all mammalian and certainly all human species. One society completely eradicated the male aspect, the Saresii. The Saran’s only slowly moved from being ruled by queens alone. The Pan Sarans felt the opposite and females could not become senators. The Dai embraced male rule alone.

Only the Union seemed to give a hoot about that and judged any sentient being solely by their conduct and limited service and duty only by physical abilities and limitations.

Har-Hi’s mother was quite pretty in an exotic way with long black hair, bright yellow eyes, and truly red skin.

“The Kai-Do speaks of you in the highest. He is much revered.”

“Yes, sure looks like it.

“My tone was sarcastic of course.

“Okthi and all.”

“Females do not need to heed the Okthi limitations.”

Servants brought refreshments. I could smell the invigorating scent of coffee.

“Har-Hi has instructed to have this hot beverage at hand. The serv-matic here will provide you with this and other choices and the nourish-preparers have instructions to prepare fish for you.”


The USS Gromsmaro dropped out of quasi at the outmost orbit of a little ice ball planet. The Helm officer announced the arrival.

“We have reached N-746-554-696.”

The Tactical officer glued to his readouts said.

“Three artificial or semi-artificial objects of unknown configuration detected. They are in the vicinity of the third planet. It appears they are on an acceleration run.”

Captain Bronbohr closed the battle restraints of his command seat.

“Sound battle stations. Weapons and shields. Communications begin first contact procedures.”

It took only moments to establish contact and it became evident the Unknowns had prior contact as they skipped the first contact procedures and transmitted translator data. Even before Captain Bronbohr made the official hail, the unknowns transmitted.

“You are Apix who must become Pu-Nakti or Ixi. We are the factor of Pu-Nakti. We are the Ypeherix.”

The Communications officer tied in the cultural reference data banks and transmitted the conversation to Sci Central. SENECA the Science Corps super AI over twenty thousand light years away allocated resources, assigned teams.

The Vvolti captain could not make much sense of this, but he was aware that communication with a new species also included much cultural information that needed to be put in relation before it made sense.

“This is Captain Bronbohr of the USS Gromsmaro. I am representing the United Stars of the Galaxies, a Union of almost 5000 societies and species. Our intentions are peaceful and we will all possible steps to avoid conflict and confrontation. However also be warned that I am authorized through the will of all Union Citizens, to use any and all measures and methods to ensure the security of the Union and in extension to the safety of its Citizens.”

“You are Apix who must become Pu-Nakthi or Ixi. We are the voice of Pu-Nakthi. We are the Ypeherix.”

“Did you attack and destroy our ship and outpost?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.