Erica Olafson, Voyages of the Tigershark (Vol 8) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Voyages of the Tigershark (Vol 8)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 3: You Are Laro

The Dai Nest so I learned a week later, was a huge space station in an otherwise empty star system. It was deep in Union space. The star had been named Dai-Core.

The station was made of several Gigamon stations, interconnected with girder-like structures that acted as docks and mooring arms for Dai ships and the humongous Dai Mothers.

The system and the station were busy.

From my visually unaided vista, a simple viewport I counted eleven Dai Mothers, I was sure there were many more outside the small section of space I could see.

Har-Hi and I had spent the time talking and sparring in the ships small cargo hold, that doubled as a gym.

My Dai friend came in.

“We are not docking at the nest, but going to be received in the Kithir-Hi hangar of the Exer-Hi.”

“I know you long enough my friend to know that this is more than just a casual talk request. I did not and will not ask anything you don’t want to tell me, but I get the feeling that even this hangar is not an average hangar, right?”

“You are right, it is the family hangar.

“He sighed in a very human way.

“Erica, my father did not disclose much to me either. He is indeed my father, but he is Dai Than. Dai fathers are not the same as human fathers. He is also the Tar of the mightiest clan, what is the Tar comes before all and anything.”

I did not interrupt him with questions and as he was done, I said.

“You are my friend, Har-Hi and I will heed the summons of your father, whatever occurs will occur.”

“I must ask you to honor one more request, please wear this.

“He held out something folded and red.

“My mother sends you a face veil and head scarf. We made much progress, but an unveiled female aboard the Exer-Hi will not be seen anytime soon.”

Now it was my turn to sigh.

“Your father does know I changed right?”

“Yes, I told you he does.”

The face veil was made of fine semi-translucent material, framed by small decorative metal discs that covered much of my face and the rest was framed by a red scarf of soft fabric.

I did not see much of the Exer-Hi from the outside as I had dressed myself according to Har-Hi’s instructions. Not the Union fleet uniform I originally had planned to wear, but the black and purple assassins armor Kai-Do had made for me.

I was surprised he had it along. The last time I had seen it was in our Pirate’s Den aboard the Tigershark.

The moment I was remembered of my ship and the Den, I realized I was homesick and missed my ship more than I had missed Nilfeheim.

“What about weapons?” I asked.

“I assume women are not allowed to have them, right?”

“Oh no, wear your blades and guns and use them freely if anyone objects.”

I frowned.

“I already killed one Dai of your tribe. I don’t want to add more.”

“Please follow me now, the Tar has been informed about our arrival and he requested our presence.”

I grunted very unladylike under that face curtain of mine.

“Just like the last time, when they called me before the queen of Sares.”


I had seen many hangars before. Most lately the truly immense hangars of the Queen’s battleship, but they were utilitarian. This reminded me more of the entrance to an exotic palace. I counted twenty ships of destroyer size parked to the left and right of a broad strip made of dark red metal. The distant walls were curved and richly adorned and decorated with painted scenes, and gilded columns and metal framework in red and more gold. It was a reddish, almost coppery gold and polished to a high shine.

If it weren’t for the walls that united at the apex of a distant ceiling full of brilliant lights one could believe to be outside on a planet surface.

An enormous flight of stairs, at least a hundred meters wide leading four steps up to a column framed antique looking round gate or door.

Huge pistons whistled in a deep machine sound, pushing articulate arms and by doing so rolling the twenty-meter wide door seal off the entrance.

Armed Dai warriors appeared and flanked that huge door on each side.

Har-Hi walking next to me.

“I know it is a little on the bombastic side, but this hangar is as old as the Mother we are in.”

“How old is this ship?” I asked.

“She was given ton the first Tar of the Hi clan five thousand Maga-Nutho after the destruction of Thana Shoo. Or in Union time, about 25,000 years ago.”

“Impressive.”

We mounted the steps and passed the open gate. The warriors standing honor guard crossed their forearms before their chest and bowed their heads as Har-Hi walked past.

One older looking warrior fell in walking on his side.

“The Kar is waiting in the hall of council, Juth-Ni-Hi.”

“This is where we go then, Moktr-No-Hi.”

The man increased his walking speed and fell in next to Har-Hi.

“Is it wise to have a Terran human wear an old Do suit? Some young warrior may be enticed to teach that female a lesson pretending to be a Do assassin after the TAR has spoken to you.”

Har-Hi actually laughed.

“Moktr, my old fight master, this not an old suit. It was made by Kai-Do for her.”

The old Dai who apparently was one of Har-Hi’s trainers gave me a puzzled look. I was not sure how much Har-Hi could actually see of my face but I too was puzzled. Apparently, I did not know as much about the Dai culture as I thought I did. According to Har-Hi and Kai-Do himself, the Do tribe and all its members were Okthi and thus a Dai was prohibited to interact or talk to an Okthi, other than perhaps killing the Okthi. Yet Har-Hi mentioned Kai-Do and the only reaction was surprise and some sort of thinly veiled respect.

Thinking about thin veils, I was certainly very comfortable with my life now, living as a woman, but I was certainly not a meek or demure damsel. While I didn’t mind the leather mask I wore as Black Velvet, the veil I had before my face was an entirely different story. I only wore it to honor Har-Hi, but to say that I was in a chipper mood was overstating the state of my emotions considerably. It didn’t help that I was here on the summons of an obviously powerful ruler and had no idea what he wanted from me.

Har-Hi had no psionic powers he or I were aware off, but we long learned to understand each other on that level where friendship was almost as good as those psionics.

He gave me a glance from the side as we walked through tall corridors of the same antique gilded flair as the hangar we had left.

“I am sorry, Erica.”

“It’s not you Har-Hi. It is the situation if there is one thing I truly hate its situations I have no control about and do not know what awaits me.”

“That and perhaps unfair situations.

“He said with a smirk.

“And this one is unfair to you, I know.”

“What a friend would I be not being by your side. So let’s get this over with and then we travel to Richter 4. I think I am already institutionalized, without the fleet and my ship I feel forlorn.”

The old man said.

“You should not talk like this to the Prince of princes and the Champion of Thana Shoo, no matter who you are you are still a woman and aboard the Exer-Hi.”

Before I could say something, Har-Hi had one of his swords out and its razor sharp edge at the throat of the old Dai.

“Moktr-No-Hi this is my friend and my captain. Not the Exer-Hi, not you or the Kar exceed her importance to me. You have been my master while I was Dai alone, I am now Luitenant Hi of the United Stars Spatial Navy. I am beyond you in skills, a master you are by honor and name not by skills. Know that I saved your honor, as she is beyond me.”

To me he said.

“I apologize for all my tribe, Captain. I had not foreseen this level of encrusted old notions.”

He returned his blade and added.

“Moktr-No-Hi, she is above all an honored guest summoned as such by the Tar. I will tell him of your conduct and see if you want to draw your blade against the Tar!”

More Dai joined us, they all armed and looking more like noble knights than pirates, they also made me remain quiet for Har-Hi’s sake. If he would not have been here, I would be dead but not after cutting off some of that crusted notion along with ears, arms, and necks.

A precious and incredibly expensive double door, big enough to accept five Fangsnappers walking side by side and high enough for a full grown Lordor. The door was framed in that dark reddish gold and appeared to be made of red lacquered wood polished to a mirror shine.

The door was guarded by shrouded Dai Warriors, all carrying the same swords as Har-Hi across their backs, but also holding Alti-Karr throwers at the ready.

To my surprise, I noticed six Orc-Oghr in Dai Than leather and the Hi glyph on their harness and their capes. Har-Hi said while the door was pushed open manually by more Orc-Oghr from the inside.

“Remember I think I told you, Dai is the race. Dai Than are warriors with their honor intact. No outsider can ever become a Dai as it is as impossible as me becoming Nul, but an outsider can become Dai Than. Some members of other species do fight and live with us Dai and some rise to great fame and may be honored.”

The door was now all the way open and Har-Hi motioned me to follow him.

“This is the Hall of Council.

“He explained.

“It is used by the Tar in times of war, distress but also to welcome honored guests.”

The hall was in theme and spirit actually somewhat similar to our Pirate’s Den. Of course, it was humongous and there were no loose piles of treasure, but there was a big rectangular table, chairs, and braziers with bowls of open fire. There were tapestries and weapon racks as well as a collection of armor suits, Dai antiques, and artwork.

There was a large viewport, the local sun, and deep space beyond.

The hall-like room was occupied by about fifty Dai or so, at the head of the table stood a tall man in an elaborately decorated leather armor. That he was the center of it all was instantly clear. He was also unquestionably Har-Hi’s father. The similarities in their features were too great to be a coincidence.

I whispered.

“What do I do? Curtsey, crawl or something like that?”

Har-Hi did not answer as the Tar raised his right hand.

“My son and important guest have arrived. All but them, leave now!”

There was no argument, no hesitation they all filed past us and out the still open door, but there were a few hostile gazes clearly directed at me.

The huge door closed and we were alone with the Dai Tribe leader and Har-Hi’s father.

He walked up to us, hugged and welcomed his son in a fatherly manner and then looked at me.

“You are Erica now, but we have met before.”

I curtsied.

“Indeed, your highness. At the Diamond ball on Pluribus, about three years ago.”

“Thank you for heeding my summon. You may, of course, remove your veil.”

I did.

“I go wherever my friend asks me to go.”

“Your ... your decision to alter or change your gender is rare but not unheard of among Dai. We are removed by millions of years, but Terrans, Dai, Sarans, Saresii, and all humans share the same origin.”

I was not sure if he wanted me to say anything, but he did pause so I said.

“This appears to be the case indeed.”

“Har-Hi has told me about you. As a Juth-Ni I respect his opinion, as a Dai with his honor intact I do not question his words and as my beloved son, I value it before all else. He praised you as warrior unrivaled, as a friend unequaled. He speaks with great pride and love about you. When we met the last time I wanted to elevate you into my tribe as Har-Hi’s brother. Then I wanted you to become his mate as I heard of your change, but he has chosen another female and I hear so have you.”

My chin dropped and my cheeks flushed.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.