Erica Olafson, Voyages of the Tigershark (Vol 8)
Chapter 1: Narth Prime

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

The USS Braddock swung into orbit around one of the most mysterious worlds in the entire Universe, Narth Prime.

She was the first Non-Narth vessel ever to do that in over a thousand years.

Captain Mike Anderson was very aware of that. No active scanning was done. He gave strict orders not to activate any probing rays or scanners other than the passive ones needed for spaceship operations. The planet was as unusual as its inhabitants and reputation. It had no visible surface features from space and looked basically like a giant eight ball, with the sun reflecting in the almost polished looking surface it even had the white dot.

“It looks more like a spaceship or something artificial!” His XO, an Insectoid Klack said.

The Captain nodded. “It sure does. have we been hailed yet?”

Just as he said it a deeply shrouded and hooded Narth appeared on the Bridge. And everyone aboard could hear him. “Welcome to Narth Prime. Thank you for providing transport for our guests. they are here now, and Narth will provide for their transport back to their destinations. You are welcome to remain in orbit, however further services are not required.”

Then the Narth was gone as he had appeared, instantly.

The officer behind the OPS controls said. “Captain, Olafson and his group are no longer aboard.”

He nodded. “Set a course back to Narth Point Station, this planet gives me the creeps. Then he added. “Member species or not, Computronic why was no Intruder Alert raised?”

“Computronic active. No unauthorized life form has been registered.”

“Replay Bridge visual record and conversation. Time reference, Five minutes ago.”

“Replaying Bridge visuals, time index 09:43.”

He saw himself and the bridge crew react to the sudden appearance, but nothing was there.”

His XO said. “It only happened in our minds, Captain. that Narth was never here.”

“What the hell? Leave orbit maximum acceleration. Captain Olafson’s group was just as creepy as that planet.”

Lt. Lombardi, his tactical officer turned.

“But she was sure a sight, that Captain I mean. Long blonde hair, perfect body. Just right around the chest. if you know what I mean.”

“I know what you mean, Lieutenant. Your guys from Nuevo Roma are all the same. But trust me you would not like to get into something with that Captain.”

“Why not? She might enjoy a real man from Nuevo Roma.”

“She is engaged with that other blonde looker of the group.”

“Oh...”


NARTH PRIME

One moment I was aboard the USS Braddock and the next I stood on an endless, smooth surface, extending featureless into all directions.

It was the most alien place I had seen so far. Not for unusual and bizarre sights and things but for the total lack of anything.

Mao had both his arms akimbo. “Aha, that’s how a busy Narth recreation area looks like. More on the minimalistic side I would say.”

Shea knelt down and felt the ground. “It feels smooth, but not slick. I wish I had my scanner with me.”

“At least sightseeing won’t take long on this world.” Har-Hi grunted, “you’re done seeing it all in five seconds.”

Narth said. “It does perhaps appear that way, but we adjust the surface as we need it.”

He raised a hand and part of the surface became liquid and a house rose from the ground, complete with Garden, trees, and a speeder in the driveway. Far behind a mountain range suddenly shot into the ground complete with forests, and a river. Then it all returned to the smooth surface. the next thing we stood on a big rock and all around us a huge ocean. A Tyranno Fin broke the surface chasing after a Rock Shark.

Shea was the first that spoke. “Just like a Virtu-Sim.”

Narth responded. “Not quite, this is not hard light, no sensory trickery. It is matter transformation and the ocean is quite real, as well as the rock. Our Janus device works on the same principle just on a much smaller scale.”

Har-Hi said. “Amazing and frightening at the same time.”

“Nothing here must be frightening to you. You are the first Non -Narth on that are fully and completely welcome by all Narth. Any of you may come here at any time and as long as you wish. It will be your home if you want it t to be. This place has seen only three visitors before you.”

Har-Hi made a gesture across the now smooth featureless horizon. “I get the feeling you mean three visitors since this all exists, right?”

“Quite so.”

Shea said. “Where is everyone? Where are the other Narth? Are we too early?”

“No Shea we are all here.”

I turned to face him. “Narth, we are here. We are your friends and you know us, so you know we don’t understand. Are the others invisible or perhaps only here in spirit or something like that?”

“I know Eric, you are the Young Narth’s best friends. This is why you are here; we still try to find a way to make you see Narth for what we are.”

Out of the ground, a seating group appeared, a nice comfortable apartment with wooden walls a fireplace made of heavy rocks with a nice fire. It was decorated with furs, pottery, and artwork. It smelled of fire and fresh coffee. From the windows, you could see over a beautiful mountain lake surrounded by deep green forests and mountains.

Har-Hi looked around. “What is this?”

“That is a Narth’s home as it is on Earth in the Colorado region.” He said and offered us to sit down.

Then we were served drinks out of bottles and containers that had simply appeared. Beer, Coffee, and the finest Line Aquavit. Narth himself played the host and filled glasses and cups and sat down himself.

“We Narth are many and we are one. Sitting here with you I am all Narth. Every Narth everywhere sees, feels, and tastes what the form before your experiences. One Narth lives on Earth and this is his house. Many million Narth like this home and choose to be Narth there. Still, all you see is one form. But only here on Narth Prime, I am the sum of it all and thus I am the Narth Supreme. Here I am more than Narth, including Young Narth. I am not the friend you know, but the Narth who shared his Huhgavh with Eric is here and part of what is Narth Supreme. One begins to understand how complicated this must be for corporeal beings to understand.

We are not like the Klack and not like the Non-Corporeal of Bright Star. Only when we leave Narth Prime do we have physical bodies.

Eric is the only being who has ever seen Narth and remained sane or alive. We cover ourselves not to hide. These garments are made of a special physical solid energy if you will, conceived to shield and protect from our Psionic radiation.”

The voice was not that of my friend, it had a completely inhuman character beyond language and physical sound, and yet it was benevolent and warm.

“We are seen as powerful and this causes fear in other beings, but there are forces much more potent than us. Some of them could be called gods by lesser beings. Some are good, some are evil, and some are beyond such mortal ethical concepts. Thus, do not think Narth are superior to you. We are not, we are simply different.

The Narth you know is very much an individual when he is with you away from Narth. He can be wounded, and he can die. Something we did not know until Eric saved the Huhgavh.”

Narth does not know what happens to Huhgavh when it dies. Does it cease to exist on all levels, or does it transmute into another realm?

There are especially Terran religious and philosophical approaches to this subject wisdom we find quite interesting quite new and is a source of awe. No other species we know off in the Universe we know of has developed so many ideas about Gods, so many different philosophic ideas about life and death and life thereafter. We imagine that perhaps in the sum of all these concepts might lie the answer. All this I say to demonstrate that you are as fascinating and alien as Narth might appear to you.

Narth never learned so much since your friend Narth is with you. On its fundamental core of it is your deep love and friendship that includes the willingness to accept pain and death for onbe another without hesitation. This was alien to us and yet we all experienced it through Narth and feel enriched by it beyond description.

Narth learning about humor and sadness, about loss and love gave us emotional treasures we had long forgotten.

This is why you are here; you are true friends of all that is Narth. You are my friends and this world will always be a safe haven for you.”

He stopped talking and we all sat there, and I was sure I would need time to really comprehend it all.

After a few moments of silence, the Narth Supreme spoke again. “Erica you may return here, once you have completed what lies ahead of you. You will know the time when you are ready to come here.”

I was certain I was the only one hearing it. The Narth Supreme got up and said to all of us. “You are now to enjoy your vacation before your presence is required at Arsenal IV. When you see Narth again, he will be the Young Narth you know. I can send you anywhere you like.”

Shea said. “Para-Para would be nice.”


We had traveled more than 1200 light-years in less than a heartbeat and found ourselves on a beautiful white beach, next to an ocean.

Narth was with us and I asked. “So, is this you again?”

“I was never not me, my friend. I merely added my substance to the one who is the Narth Supreme”

Shea said. “I am supposed to be very intelligent, but I fear I do not understand what Narth is.”

Har-Hi held his head. “Lucky you. I still feel like I spend 20 hours under Mental Upload without a break.”

Narth sounded concerned. “I am sure the Narth Supreme did not want to cause you any harm.”

Har-Hi grinned. “He didn’t cause any harm. It’s just a side effect we mere mortals get when meeting a god.”

“Narth Supreme is not a god.”

“But I bet he isn’t too far removed from that designation either. he fits that general idea rather good; I’d say.”

I said. “Well, may it as it be. We only got six months of leave. I need to go to Nilfeheim, and you all need to touch bases at home and there is an ocean and I need a swim.”

Har-Hi said. “Well, a week in the sun and some lazy days won’t hurt a bit. After that, I think I visit my father.”

“At least you won’t get a Sunburn, you are already lobster red!” I said with a grin and Har-Hi got me in a running tackle. Har-Hi and I untangled, and he said. “I wonder if our robed mystery friend would get a sunburn.”

“Probably not but let’s find out if he can swim.”

PLURIBUS UNUM

Flocks of Sky Tumblers swirled high in the cloudless blue sky as a sleek black lux-flyer swooped down almost without making a sound and stopped right at the front of Magellan Gate.

The flier-limo had the logo of the Union Fleet on its side panels and a small red flag projected above its roof with a circle of five stars, surrounding one more star in its center.

The flag indicated that the passenger of this flier was occupied by the only six-star admiral of the Union, the Admiral of the Fleet.

A massive Nul in marine dress uniform jumped out from the pilots’ compartment and opened the rear door of the Rolls-Stratos for an old human man wearing a red tartan kilt, white socks, and polished shoes. The old man thanked the Marine.

“Thank you Corporal Xurr. If you want, you can take the rest of the day off. I will be busy there for a while.”

“Sir, I just started my shift. I doubt Captain Morgan would approve.”

“Corporal, I am sure whoever Captain Morgan might be. I am certain he won’t object if the Admiral of the Fleet grants you a day off.”

“You make a valid point Sir.”

McElligott smiled at two boys, not too far distant who had stopped their hovercycles and stared at the Nul in awe. “I guess I am not the only one still in disbelieve to see a Nul in Marine Blue.”

“I am one of the first, but by judging the 50 Million applications made just today, I wager this won’t be a novel site for very long.”

“No, it won’t indeed. I am pleased how fast and smooth it all proceeds.”

“We were enemies, but we Nul never hated and always respected the Union. Thanks to Prince Xon and his friendship to a human we learned we can trust you too.”

The Admiral said. “One day that humans name must be revealed. We owe her that.”

He approached the gate, turned his head back, and added. “Corporal we are on Pluribus Unum. You are now also a citizen. There are many things to see.”

“Admiral Sir, I planned for days what I will do ever since I was attached to your security detail while hoping for free time. There is one thing, I simply must see.”

The Admiral got curious stopped and turned around all the way. “Visiting your society’s pavilion?”

“Why would I want to do that, Sir? I know everything I want to know about Nul culture.”

“The Assembly of course.”

“That is not on top of my list, to be honest, Sir.”

“Corporal Xurr now I simply must now. What is it you want to see?”

“Stahl’s Tree of course. I want to get me a framed leaf.”

McElligott raised both his hands. “You got to be kidding me!”

“Sir, Nul hardly ever joke around. Someone could be offended. It is never good to offend a Nul not even if you are a Nul or a Petharian, besides, I am a Marine and we never make jokes about the Eternal Warrior.”

McElligott sighed. “50 Million Nul in just one day and they all going to worship him ... even a saint could get jealous at that.”

“Sir?”

“Never mind. Enjoy your day off.”

He had lost the good mood he had as he strolled past the gate, decided against the slideway as he still had time before his monthly meeting started.

Most beings ignored him. Now if it were Stahl who would stroll down the Magellan path winding through the outer ring park, half of Pluribus Unum would gather instantly. Crowds many rows deep cheering.

With a frown, he dismissed his own thoughts. Of course, the Eternal Warrior earned it, every single cheer. Neither Stahl nor he did all this for glory. Richard never showboated.

It was a while ago when the Citizen of the Union wanted to honor their most beloved Immortal. A huge majority voted in favor of od that and wanted to build him a statue. He objected and wanted the funds to be spent on something useful.

They told him they already decided so he said.

McElligott still heard the gruff response of the Eternal Warrior. “Plant a tree or something.”

It was something like a law of the Universe, no matter what this other Admiral did or said. It always turned into something larger than life.

They flew in a single acorn from Earth, planted it and this tree grew in the last thousand years or so into the biggest Oak anyone had ever seen, and in a way was perhaps the most fitting memorial, it became of course known as Stahl’s Tree.

That every installation of the Union fleet had mustard yellow carpet had its real origin in an actual mustard stain made by Stahl. Everything he did...

A young girl stepped in his way and interrupted his musing. She was of Saran stock, he was almost certain, even if the human species now were truly intermingled. She could be no older than maybe sixteen. She wore a tartan pattern mini skirt and a black top that hugged her pretty shape in a very becoming way. He instantly noticed the Tartan pattern to be the same as the one of his kilt.

“I am sorry Sir, but are you not Admiral McElligott?”

He smiled and said. “And who wants to know?”

He asked that most of course for the benefit of the two or three cloaked marines on security detail. It was a safe planet and he had no serious political enemies as far as he knew.

But no one in a position like his was without enemies. Of course, there were Kermac and a host of other non-Union societies who were more than nervous as the Nul, the Golden and perhaps the Karthanians soon were allies and members.

She said. “I am Petra Epoteth of Luxor. I am studying early Union history and Sir; you are my hero. I am on Pluribus to do research on my term paper. What chances, I would have the luck to run into you!”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.