An Ending - A John the Genius Story - Cover

An Ending - A John the Genius Story

Copyright© 2019 by PT Brainum

Chapter 2

She was tall, blonde, well built, and looked under twenty-five. She was likely older, since Lunar gravity is magically age defying, and Luna’s newest industry. I was doing one of the more ridiculous things I’d ever done, trying to enjoy a glass of wine out of what was essentially a child’s spill proof sippy cup. She had picked the sensible water bottle from the refreshment cart during intermission.

“That was truly beautiful. Did you enjoy it so far?” she asked.

“Very much. I’m so proud of my kids.”

“Oh, are they in the performance?” she asked.

I paused, then saw the teasing twinkle in her bright blue eyes. “Hi, I’m John Cook. What’s your name?” I said, offering my hand.

“Kelly Piper. Your kids are amazing. Juliette is a choreography genius, and Isaac’s lyrics are so uplifting! I’m loving ‘Children of the Butterfly.’”

“Professional opinion, or amateur enthusiast?” I asked.

“Both. I’m here for my news feed, reporting on the thirty year memorial celebrations around the solar system. This has been an incredible tribute performance.”

“The location can’t be beat. With the backdrop of Earth in the distance, and those wings, I’m in awe myself of the athletic display,” I told her.

“Did you watch any of the practice performances, or is this your first viewing?”

“First viewing, I was specifically uninvited from earlier performances and practices,” I said.

“I’m looking forward to the second half,” she said.

“It’s just me in my box, would you like to join me for the second half?”

“That would be lovely. There’s not a bad seat in the house, but my neighbor won’t share the arm rest.”

The bell dinged, so I offered my arm, and escorted her up to my box. She left her arm tucked into mine for the whole second half. My box had a nice cozy loveseat, no pesky arm to share. We both stood clapping, and whistling at the end. It had been a stunning performance, it reminded me of Andrew Lloyd Webber meets Cirque du Soleil.

The audience clapped just as hard as I did. Kelly took my arm again, as the curtain dropped for the third time. “Would you like to join me at the after-party?” I asked.

“That would be lovely,” She replied, luminous blue eyes in the starlight of the diamond dome above us, staring deep into mine. Suddenly we both grinned at each other, and laughed.

The party was great. Juliette and Isaac both got big hugs from me. Alexi, the composer, got a big handshake. I introduced Kelly as fellow audience member. She was so excited for the ability to talk to crew performers and the artists behind the piece. As the party wound down she found me again, slipping a thin arm into mine.

“Thank you. I’ve arranged for several interviews over the next couple days. This has been such an exciting evening.”

“You’re welcome. Will you be in Luna North long?”

“How about you take me to bed, and ask that in the morning?” she said huskily.

“As the lady wishes,” I replied smiling, my own eyes alight.

Luna has many things that are strange and off putting to visitors. The comfort of a low g bed is one of its few redeeming qualities. It’s also an excellent location for a cuddle. No limbs going to sleep, no feeling crushed by your partner. Even your hair looks good in the morning.

Kelly released me, her grip loosening as her body relaxed from its coital tension. “God. I read her book but I had no idea!” she said, rolling into her back.

“That’s not insensitive for me to say, is it?” she asked.

“Melanie was the love of my life. But it’s been thirty years. You can say anything good about her you wish.”

“I can’t believe you’re here. I’d hoped for a picture, dreamed of an interview, but this has to have been the best night of my life.”

“I’m glad. I’ve enjoyed my evening very much. You are excellent company, Kelly Piper. Do you mind if I make a phone call before going to sleep?”

“Should I go?” she asked.

“Goodness, no. I’d like to take you to breakfast in the morning, if I may.”

“Breakfast sounds lovely. May I ask who you’re going to call?”

“I need to wish a daughter happy birthday.”

I slid on a robe, and made the video call.

“Hi, Daddy!” came the bright voice.

“Hi, sweetheart. Happy birthday,” I told her.

“Did you stay up just for us both to be on the 12th at the same time?” she asked.

“I was up. The performance was amazing. Watch it when you get some free time.”

“I will. Kirk sent me 3d glasses just for watching the performance. I couldn’t do it live, I had classes this morning.

“You’ll really enjoy it. Classes going well? Checking your bed for spiders before going to sleep?” I asked.

“Australia doesn’t have that many poisonous spiders Dad.” she said giggling.

“Well you know how I worry about you kids. Dottie promised to bring you my present this evening. Do you have party plans?”

“Just a little gathering with my dorm mates. What is Dottie bringing?”

“It’s a surprise, and I’m not telling.”

“Ok Daddy. Thank you. Love you! You better get to sleep. It’s late up there.”

“Love you too Loretta. Happy birthday again.”

We disconnected, and I slid the robe off, cuddling up to the soft form of Kelly. I gave her a soft kiss.

“Goodnight John. You’re a wonderful father,” she said as we drifted off together.

Breakfast in bed was as lovely as expected. I asked her again how long she was staying on Luna.

“A few days, why do you ask?”

“I thought we could travel back together. I don’t have any particular need to rush anywhere.”

“That would be fun. My boss paid for a round trip, but the tickets are for tomorrow. If I could ride back with you, then I could stay a few more days and finish my interviews.”

“Then you’re welcome to ride with me. I’m taking a trip to see the Eagle today, but I’ll be back for dinner if you’d like to join me. I’ve got reservations at La Lune Au Nord.”

“Now that’s an invitation I’ll accept. There’s only one three Michelin starred restaurant on the Moon. What time?”

“I’ll meet you at the restaurant at 7. Will that work?” I asked.

“That will be just fine. I’ve got the perfect dress for it.” She gave me a quick kiss, “See you tonight lover,” and swept out the door.

I smiled all the way to the Eagle. The Eagle is rightfully the most visited tourist location on Luna. It’s a platform carefully protecting the landing site. A simple Lunar Hopper flew the tour group to the location, where we were able to disembark and walk around the memorial viewing room. It covered the entire location, with clear floors so you could look down on the first footprints on the Moon.

One section led down to just inches above the surface, where you could put your own foot next to the Aldrin and Armstrong prints, and take a picture. The floor offered a colored pathway so you could follow the routes of each man as he explored the surface. At each point was a display that gave details about the activity, and its mission timing, and importance.

There had been talk about bringing a replica of the Eagle ascent module and adding it to the site. Instead the ruggedized replica had been placed inside the memorial viewing room, just above the lander, where you could climb in and play with the switches and buttons. I spent hours enjoying the museum. The last hopper of the day returned me to Luna North.

Dinner was delightful. Lunar grown delicacies. The development of bioreactor grown milk had saved French cuisine from the global onslaught of environmentally aware veganism across the planet. Vegan, animal free, but otherwise identical to farm fresh hand churned butter.

La Lune Au Nord was extra special. Their particular strain of butter was a sport, tangy with a hint of spice. We both oohed and ahhed over the meal. Afterwards we went for a walk in the Earth grav section of the city along the promenade deck, arm in arm as we told each other about our day.

As we cuddled in bed she mentioned how nice today had been. I agreed, and asked when she was free the following day.

We spent a week together in Luna North, and two days in micro g heading back to Earth. When I asked her if she wouldn’t mind moving in with me she accepted. We fit together well. Her news agency was happy to assign her to their new Ocean City desk when she gave them the news.

We took my pod direct to Ocean City, splashing down just a couple miles past the outer floating ring. A chartered boat picked us up, and I introduced Kelly to the Jewel of the Pacific. Consistently voted the best city to live, the best work to life balance, and the best place to raise children on the planet.

The first week I spent showing her around, and showing her off. Out of low or micro g she looked older, early 30s, without lunar gravity making everything perkier. She enjoyed learning to windsurf, exploring the reefs with rebreathers, and trying a Sky Cycle. We enjoyed the restaurants, the food, and the culture.

She made videos doing it all. She had a selection of drone cameras that followed her around as she did these adventures. Her news feed stitched them together as a special feature, ‘Adventure in Ocean City’. It was fun, but I stayed out of the camera’s view. It was a nifty bit of kit. The tracking drone had a wireless controller that kept her in the shot, but never centered. I had an additional controller that it worked to avoid, making it easier to be heard, but not seen.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.