Royal Mess With a Redhead - Cover

Royal Mess With a Redhead

Copyright© 2019 by radio_guy

Chapter 10

Once inside, I said, “Alice, I think they’re losing interest. Between not getting any pictures and being pushed by the deputies and me, life just isn’t working out for them here.”

Alice smiled. She said, “I have noticed that you and the people around this area do take a direct approach. Those folks are used to being tolerated. Here, they are challenged and get more trouble than they ever do elsewhere except for Cardena. Taking pictures of me the way they do gets them put in jail for years without a trial. It works as a deterrent.”

I think Bubba might give them the feeling that could happen here. People had been known to vanish in Alabama under mysterious circumstances many years ago. I would think Bubba could make them think those days still exist. Encroaching upon the privacy of a person can be unhealthy.”

“Sam, I do appreciate what you and your friends have done for me.”

I just smiled. “Let’s have some breakfast.”

She nodded. “I hope you will continue to give me cooking lessons. I really would like to learn.”

I shrugged, “Come on then.” I went into the kitchen with her following me.

I said, “Okay. How about bacon and cheese biscuits?”

“That sounds great, Sam. Show me what to do.”

“Okay. First, we’ll mix the batter and then start the bacon. We’ll finish the bacon while the biscuits cook.” She nodded. “Get the red plastic bowl from the cupboard above your head.” She pulled it out and set it on the counter. I pulled the wet ingredients from the fridge along with the bacon.

I got the dry items out and began to mix it telling her what I was doing while we worked together. Once the batter was mixed into a dough, I pulled my big frying pan out and started the bacon. I said, “This is especially thick sliced bacon that is prepared locally. I find it good and actually better than what can be bought in a store.”

Once the bacon was going well, I started cutting out biscuits and placed them all on a baking tin. I slid the biscuits into the oven and watched the bacon. Once the first batch of bacon was cooked, I put the pieces on a paper towel and started a second batch. “Alice, would you get the mustard from the fridge?” She nodded and did so. She located plates and set the table for us.

We sat down to eat after I blessed the meal. The bacon was so thick that it was almost ham. Alice dug in. After her first biscuit, she added mustard. She murmured, “That’s better even.” She looked at me. “This is so good.” She managed to eat half the biscuits. She looked at me smiling. “If you keep feeding me this well, I’ll get big as a blimp. Sam, I’ve had gourmet food but this is really, really good.”

“Thanks, Alice.” After a couple of moments, I said, “It’s pretty out today. We could go out walking a bit. There is a trail around my pond that’s nice.”

“That sounds delightful.”

I walked over to my surveillance computer and checked. For a change, there were no vehicles parked on the road. I thought that, just maybe, the message was getting out. None of the other cameras indicated any action either.

I did wear my pistol. We walked around the pond and enjoyed it. Alice was enjoying the sights including two deer that we flushed by accident. She said, “The animals here don’t seem to have quite the fear I would think most would have.”

I replied, “I haven’t hunted this land since I purchased it. I may harvest a deer next season but it’s not a high priority. I enjoy the land and my pond. I’ve tried to leave it all as natural as reasonable. Most of the cameras are wireless and battery or solar powered. It all doesn’t take much maintenance.”

Alice said, “I like the natural look that it all has. Even the house looks like it’s always been just where it is. However, the house is newer, isn’t it?”

We went around the pond. I had built a small bridge over the creek that fed the pond. Other than that, the path looked like a game trail. It was a nice walk and we were not disturbed as we walked.

We were approaching the house. I said, “Perhaps, tomorrow you might like to go to town with some hope that the paparazzi have given up on you. They still might be around but most have learned painfully that this area doesn’t take to outsiders bothering people.”

“I would like that. Sam, I don’t mind some pictures just not the constant hassle that those people always represent.” She grinned. “You know that we will be linked romantically if they do take pictures?”

“I know and have seen the stories. They can say what they want. False stories never last so it’ll go away.”

I think she was tempted to say something but she seemingly didn’t inquire. I thought to myself that I didn’t know about romance but friends I could tolerate. She had, at least to me, become a better person.

We had come to the patio and I had waved her to a seat. I sat in another. We sat back enjoying the sun. It was warm but not bad. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a glint from the trees. I said, “I’m afraid that I need to check my cameras. I think we have company. Stay here. I’ll check and bring us a couple of beers along with my scoped rifle.”

I went inside and checked my cameras. Only one person was out there. I grabbed two beers and my rifle. I went outside and set the beers down, raised my rifle and took aim. I squeezed off a shot aiming because I could see the person.

A person fell out of the little bit of cover that his pine tree gave. I handed Alice a beer. I opened mine and took a big sip. “I guess I better go check on him. I definitely hit him.” I went to my golf cart with my rifle and rode over to the man who was lying on the ground moaning. He was lucky. His camera blocked his body enough that the bullet was deflected and he wasn’t killed. I sat in the cart and said, “Wow! You’re still alive. I was aiming to kill. I’ve warned you bastards enough and I’m tired of chasing you off before you can hurt the people who have a right to be here. It’s time for you to get up and walk toward the house so the cops can get you.” He moaned but did manage to get up. My bullet had hit him in the side.

“I was just going to take...”

I interrupted, “Did you see the signs regarding trespassing?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.