The Azayal- Book 5
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2019 by Hunter Johnson

The Plot Thickens: The Enemy is Mobilizing

“We do not know Jason, why you and your people are the target of so much energy and activity,” said Adm. Pawela Hage. “The enemy is preoccupied with targeting you.”

“Admiral this is how it has always been with Jason. He becomes a prime target for the enemy,” said Razza. “Then we plan to overcome the enemy.”

“The King believes he can protect you better in the palace, but he does think you will benefit from the last two weeks of training before we are attacked. He suggests you train here in the day but return to the palace in the evening. He is determined to protect you to the best of his ability!” Pawela Hage stated.

“We have been sent new armor, new infantry weapons, tanks and gunships, new ship weapons and new shields by your people. The Collective have said they are working with Porquenta. We have received an enigmatic communication from a Queen Lynas Parayekt who tells us she will offer aid to our fleet. She can travel between Universes, but said she only has a few ships that are able to do so. A group we knew in the past, the Warriors of the Apocalypse, also offered help and are shipping equipment here. They too can travel between universes.

“We have not worked with allies for a long time, we are truly grateful for the help we are receiving. We are preparing to destroy our planets as a desperate last-ditch strategy rather than allow the Ghouls to capture our people.

“Your man Porquenta has supplied us with specifications for shields that will be effective against Ghoul weapons and has supplied us with weapons and sensors that can detect cloaked Ghouls. He has also sent replicators to help our construction efforts. We can now at least mount a credible defense! Our cargo ships, as you may have heard, were sabotaged. We have caught the perpetrators and the moles and have moved on. The ships are operational and active,” said the admiral.

“Your great-grandfather has supplied us with powerful infantry weapons, and armor. He sent several heavy weapons designed by him and Porquenta. He has sent sixty-million of his Marine AIs for our use and requested we allow you to deploy your team of AIs as your bodyguard. He has also sent twenty-million of a strange mechanical upright tank called a Mech warrior. It is a very unusual weapons system but it is a joy to operate. I spent a pleasant hour in one yesterday. I did not want to get out of it when my time ended. I have not had so much fun for a long time.

“No matter how fast we go we cannot equip more than one quarter of our fleet in the available time. The remaining ships, despite upgraded shields, will be vulnerable as the Ghouls are immune to our weapons.

“On a more positive note, we have found the Ghoul home system and are observing them. Porquenta can now manufacture engines that can travel between universes and he has pledged to help us if he can. He said the first engines were promised to the Una.

“I have known the king for a very long time. Only now has he become the King I hoped he would be. Previously I was loyal to him because it was my duty. Now I follow him because I feel he has become a king who has earned my loyalty.

“Grefis Trodd approached the King and asked for the hand of his daughter Pardela. He alleges she does not have a qualified suitor. Our King finds himself in a difficult situation. He is attempting to mobilize for war, but he now finds himself occupied by issues that are irrelevant to the future of the Azayal. He is forced to address these issues as the nobles have requested the king to fight Grefis Trodd himself, put up his champion, arrange the bout between a suitable suitor and Grefis Trodd or pay out Grefis Trodd. He must have known the plan to assassinate you. I suspect he is also desperate. The earl has a gambling habit and is a foolish businessman. It is a bad combination.

“I almost forgot, and I rarely forget to relate important information. We have received from Porquenta several hundred cyberwarfare AIs which he tells us we will need in every vital strategic network. He wants to ensure that we can operate effectively when rogue AIs attempt to sabotage us when we are attacked.

“Wensta has been under surveillance at the request of the King, but he has now disappeared. We do not know if he left the palace or is still hiding within. Wensta knows the palace and its security systems backwards. He used to disappear frequently as a young man.

“Tomorrow is your last day of accelerated training. In the next phase prior to the anticipated attack your groups are allocated to ground defense. You will train with the fourth regiment and you will remain with them defending against ground assault. You will spend the day with them but are spending the nights at the palace.

“We have scouts who are observing the Ghouls,” said Admiral Hage.

“I have few ideas that may be worth trying, that I have previously used with some success,” said Jason.

He referred to the history of his life he had provided to her and told her specifically about his use of mines and leaving missiles defensively around a planet to be activated when the enemy arrived.

“Jason, we do find your innovative use of weapons interesting. I discussed those concepts and ideas with Adm. Maron Mergazengis. She intends to implement both ideas. They tested sending small asteroid fragments the size of your mines towards two different Ghoul ships. It triggered the defenses. She tested one that was half the size and it did not appear to alert them if the speed is slow. We have several layers of defenses not dissimilar to many of those we have seen deployed in the history you provided us.

“The problem we face is they have double the ships we have and far more heavy ships. They outgun us by a significant margin. They have very large mobile weapon platforms they are bringing along. We have never seen such large mobile platforms previously. We are running out of time to defend ourselves.


Jason and his group tiredly joined the Royal family at dinner.

“I am very happy to see you guys managed to survive the disasters of the last few days!” said Pardela. The family looked drawn.

“Have you heard any news about where Wensta might be?” Razza asked curiously.

“If Wensta has one skill it is his ability to disappear when he wants to even when he is under surveillance. He acquired the tools to counter any surveillance he is under. We have never seen or found these tools,” said Radon resting his chin on his palms with his elbows on the table. He yawned. “That young man is up to no good. I have no doubt he is consorting with the enemy. Today I formally removed him from the succession. I am increasingly sure he will kill me if he can get to me. This is a sorry state of affairs. What are you people doing next?”

“For the next two weeks they are suspending our studies and we are joining the fourth regiment and will play our role in ground defense if so allocated,” said Julia.

“You do not need to do this. This is not your war. Pardela why don’t you take your shuttle and take them home. They don’t need to be exposed to the Ghouls and risk their lives unnecessarily,” said Radon firmly.

“This is very much our war. They are our enemies. We are fighting them in a different location that is the only difference,” said Razza sounding determined. “We have all discussed this and we are all in full agreement we will help you as much as we can. The only request that we would like to make is; if Porquenta is able to convert any of Jason’s fleet to be able to assist, we would like to join them. We believe we can be more effective in our familiar environment.”

“Of course,” remarked the King, “I give you full permission, we all should do what we can best do. Now let us eat and drink and enjoy ourselves while we still can.”

The meal was pleasant and enjoyable, the company convivial, the wine remarkable. Without Wensta, Fallis and Relaren became more communicative and Kalalal was flirty, cheerful, and outgoing. Mergal remained withdrawn but smiled happily as she watched the exchanges at the table.

They all were exhausted after the day. Razza, Perdita and Julia joined Jason in bed, but within minutes were fast asleep. Jason was restless with a sense of foreboding and slept very lightly. Suddenly he heard shouts and the sounds of running feet in the passageway outside his room. He woke quickly. He ran to the door and opened it. He saw Mergal in her night clothing talking with Kalalal who was carrying a bloody, foot long stiletto. “Mother, there is Jason and now Razza, Perdita and Julia are behind you. Tell them what happened,” instructed Kalalal as guards ran down the passage towards the King’s suite of rooms.

“Kalalal was sleeping restlessly. She got up and opened her door and saw Wensta with blood on him. She was sure he had killed Radon as he was coming from the King’s room and he was looking smug. Kalalal killed him. She is sure she saw Wensta’s maid. She chased after her but the woman disappeared. The guards found an open previously unknown passageway from Wensta’s room. We have teams exploring the linked passageways. We discovered there are other such passageways and many hidden rooms. The palace guards are now searching for the maid. We cannot find Pardela. Jason backed into his room with Mergal following him along with Kalalal. Mergal looked around and walked into the refresher. “Your room was my last hope,” said Mergal miserably then sat on Jason’s bed and sobbed pitifully.


Mergal now is not the time to cry. You are the last hope of the Azayal and you need to take control and maintain the confidence of your people,” said Jason quietly, with his arm around Mergal. “We must find the maid and Pardela. We have provided your people with the ability to find cloaked ships and shuttles. The army and the police need to blanket the capital and stop all shuttle traffic so they cannot easily escape. We must force them to the spaceport. They cannot afford to remain on the ground and risk capture. The Ghouls will try to take Pardela away from here. We have to assume they are going to keep her alive. They need her as a hostage. Time is of the essence!” said Jason.

“Come with me,” said the Queen, “we will speak to the captain of the guard and we will liaise with the fleet above.”

Jason saw his group in the passageway. Mergal led them to a large room filled with security personnel monitoring the palace.

“This is Col. Morgum Parengus who you met on your first day. He leads the guards.” said Mergal as she turned to Morgum. “If you have not already done so please liaise with the fleet and with the police force to set sensors to find Ghoul shuttles and ships. There has to be a Ghoul ship nearby ready to help the maid and others escape.

Jason believes if we cover the city, they will be forced to try and escape through the spaceport where they can blend in with other craft or insinuate themselves onto someone else’s shuttle. Alert the police to arrest Grefis as we are sure he is involved. We need to have troops at the spaceport to intercept the Ghoul maid. We don’t know if she has any other associates.”

“My Queen we have already taken all the action requested and suggested and have also sent people to the spaceport. These young people have experience with fighting the Ghouls. I would value their help. I would suggest we take a team from the palace and include them in it. They showed they can recognize Ghouls.

“Excuse me I am receiving an urgent communication,” said Morgum Parengus and looked carefully at the hologram in front of him.

“Grefis Trodd has killed his father and has disappeared. It occurred around the same time Wensta killed the king.

“My Queen we will get Pardela back,” said Morgum, then turned to face Jason’s group.

“Razza, please take your group through that portal” he pointed at an arch on the far wall- “and dress yourselves in combat armor. The weapons are on the wall on the left side after you go through the armor dresser. Pick your favorite weapons. There are ample supplies take whatever you think will help you. Take plenty of recharges and grenades if appropriate. Grefis has highly trained friends. I will be in the hangar through the door directly in front of you when you leave the armor dresser. I will have twenty of my guards with me,” said Morgum. “I am planning for the worst possible case. I am assuming Grefis will join with the maid and with some of Grefis’ house troops. The army and the police are patrolling the spaceport. I will warn them to expect an all-out battle.

“Hurry, I’ll be around to get you,” said Morgum with some desperation in his voice.

The group followed Razza through the portal into a large room with forty dressers. They were familiar with their use. They were faster than any dressers they had previously used. The armor was comfortable and beautifully made.

“Look at this Jason,” said Julia as she picked up her squat rifle. “This is one of those new ones designed by your grandfather and Porquenta. I love them, they pack a real wallop. If anyone wants the Azayal one we used in training they are sitting over there on that wall. There is a nice selection of interesting goodies to load into your armor. There are tons of spare power packs in this box,” added Julia.

Everyone efficiently loaded up with familiar Porquenta weapons and added the impressive arsenal of throwing discs, grenades, rockets and knives used by the average Azayal soldier. They then ran into the hangar and up the ramp into the shuttle.

“The shuttle AI will use facial recognition and will liaise with police and army. We are connected into the surveillance network at the spaceport. The AI will coordinate with your suit AI. The police and military are aware that we are looking for Grefis, and the Ghoul Maid and they acquired the databases of the faces of the employees of Grefis, colleagues from his war service as well as associates at the War College where he works. The spaceport holo-cameras also cover all hangers and outside areas. We have our own micro drones patrolling the spaceport. The Army is using their hardened drones. They can see through all known masking and cloaking techniques, including the cloaking used by the Ghouls.

“The two most likely areas they will aim for are our royal hangers or the hangers of Grefis Trodd’s family. All shuttle traffic other than palace security, police and army has been shut down over the Capitol. That doesn’t mean much. A shuttle is not the most efficient mode of transport. They will use portals to the spaceport and a yacht or space shuttle to escape. We have shut down the portals in every single hanger. We can’t shut down the spaceport or we will face chaos. They will need to enter the spaceport through areas that are patrolled and guarded. I would suggest that we remain stationary where we are, wait to find out where they are and then move between them and their chosen destination. The closest major portal to both hangers is this one,” said Morgum and pointed at the hologram. “The next is 150 yards further from both of the hangers and the next is even further. Whatever they do we will only be a minute away regardless of where they enter. I think the biggest risk in all of this is the Army and Police do not take the threat as seriously as they should. That Ghoul you fought and who sliced your arm was one scary bastard. Grefis also knows some pretty dangerous army people and he himself is no pushover.”

“How did Kalalal manage to kill Wensta?” Perdita asked. “It doesn’t look like she would be able to take him on her own.”

“Let me show you what the cameras saw,” said Morgum as he opened a second hologram.

They watched Wensta covered in blood, leaving his father’s room and running down the passageway. They could clearly see a young lady waiting 50 yards ahead of him beckoning him to move faster. Kalalal who had been standing in a doorway diagonally opposite to her father’s room flashed behind Wensta at blinding speed, stabbed him in the kidney, grabbed his neck from behind then slashed his throat, and as he slowly collapsed with bubbling blood pouring from his neck she stabbed him forcefully through the left eye. She continued turning her blade for several seconds before wiping it on Wensta’s shirt. Kalalal looked up saw the maid and began to accelerate towards her.

They saw the maid debate with herself, as Wensta was attacked by Kalalal, briefly before turning and starting to run, while Kalalal cut into Wensta’s neck. Kalalal looked startled as she saw the maid, recovered her wits and accelerated to catch the maid. The maid moved into an area where there was no surveillance.

“Kalalal is an incredibly dangerous young woman. She has done advanced assassin training after she completed military service. She has a power where she can move blindingly quickly for short periods of time and you can see her extraordinary speed. The maid was too far ahead of Kalalal for her to catch her and she moved very quickly.

“Wensta must have been leaning right over his father when he shot him in the head. He was spattered all over his chest abdomen and legs with bits of tissue and blood. We saw marks on his trousers as if he had cradled his father after he killed him.

“The guards later found where the woman escaped and where Wensta entered a secret passageway to bypass the guards of the king. The guards are now exploring the passages and sending information as they discover something. They found a room with ample reserves of food where Wensta and the Ghoul hid, waiting for the right moment.

“Something seems to be happening,” Sergei said as he pointed to one of the portals. It was the second portal that Morgum had pointed out.

Morgum expanded the hologram. They could see heavily armed and armored people pouring out of the portal and shooting at police and at the fifteen soldiers guarding the portal.

“Those are Ghoul assault weapons,” Mandy Fritzell observed, “I would recognize them anywhere. All of us except for Jason have fired them. They are cutting down their opposition frighteningly quickly at low cost to themselves.”

“More than half of the troops went elsewhere. They responded to a diversion and are on the way back. The idiots decided to return by shuttle and not use the portals. The police are lightly armed and at the best of times they have hopeless body armor. The police and army are moving units here as quickly as they can. There are twenty-five soldiers between the portal and Grefis’ family hanger. I moved fifty of our guards to the Palace hanger. They are our reserve.

“There are napcrete barriers we can protect ourselves behind over here and that will put us between them and the hanger,” said Morgum pointing. “I don’t want to risk losing Pardela so I suggest you don’t use grenades. I am sure the Ghoul is carrying her in a ring or bag, but I can’t be sure she did not pass her off to one of the others. I don’t know if some of the group we see are Ghouls. I suggest we try take them out sniping at them from the back to the front. The guards will move to the napcrete marked 045. We will put you guys on our right at 047, said Morgum as he guided the shuttle down. Again if we use the shuttle cannon or missiles, we may lose Pardela.

“Hemridge, if we are all down, as a last resort hit them with the cannon and rockets. We can’t let them get away,” said Morgum as he handed control over to his lieutenant. They evacuated quickly from the shuttle and it rose again to hover a thousand feet up.

“I have left two snipers in the shuttle. They will start hitting our targets as soon as they see them leave the spaceport,” said Morgum as the two groups separated and crouched behind the napcrete barriers. “Jason you take command of your group,” said Morgum.

Jason could see thirty-nine of the fifty AI identified enemy life signs heading towards them. Jason could see sporadic fire behind the enemy which he assumed was from either the police or army.

“We don’t know the strength of their shields. Try half power first and we will see how many shots it takes to put someone down,” said Jason.

Razza at the end of the line was the first to get a clear shot. He could hear the hum and ping as she fired. Soon he heard continuous shooting. “At half power it takes two shots to knock out the shield and the next shot gets through the armor,” said Perdita. “Use full power they are well shielded. The first shot knocks out the shield and does some damage. The second shot kills them,” said Perdita. Jason was closest to Morgum’s group and was the last to begin shooting of his group. “Well, done guys they are down to twenty-nine.”

Seconds later he heard a cry from his right, he didn’t turn but continued firing. He saw several of the enemy pause to access grenades. “Hit the throwers first and aim for anyone who tries to blast us,” said Jason as he watched the enemy try to flank them.

“You have plenty of reserve power packs. Use full power rapid fire and try and get as many of them as you can before this goes hand-to-hand.” He had three quarters of his first charge.

He felt a concussive blast and lost consciousness for a few seconds. When he came to, he glanced down the line and saw half of his people were down. He had a severe headache.

He glanced the other way and saw half of Morgum’s group were down. He began to fire carefully and systematically with the enemy 30 feet in front of them. He would’ve loved to have thrown some of his grenades and used his explosive micro missiles, but he couldn’t risk Pardela’s life. He continued shooting until the last possible second, then sent his assault weapon into trans-dim space and pulled out his Ghoul sword.

As the first of the enemy vaulted over the barrier, Jason struck at him from below penetrating through her shield and armor to kill her. In that instant he saw Morgum engaging in hand-to-hand combat and he felt Razza, Perdita and Julia move closer to him. He was impressed to see Perdita tear the shield generator from one of the soldiers and then stabbed him through his faceplate with her 12-inch knife. He saw the next one moving towards him knew it was Grefis. Jason slashed at Grefis as he jumped over the barrier but missed as he somersaulted over Jason’s sword, while striking at Jason’s head. Jason hopped behind him and used his powers to speed up, but so did Grefis. Grefis managed to hit him on his sword arm. But the blow was not sufficient to numb the arm and Jason managed to slice Grefis’ side. He noticed a soldier moving backwards and sideways. He realized it was probably the Ghoul. Jason traded his sword for his knife. They were too close to fight with a sword.

He felt a sharp pain as he moved to block Grefis’ strike with his knife. Grefis was powerful and hurt his left arm. They traded blow for blow, but neither could gain an advantage. He saw Perdita was down. He knew time was running out to save Pardela. He saw the Ghoul woman sidling past them. No one was between her and the hanger. He saw her shield flash as she zig zagged, to avoid her shield being overwhelmed by the snipers.

Jason was beginning to feel faint. He could also feel blood in his armor and the armor starting medical treatment. The armor could keep him alive and was working to repair the injury.

He sent a powerful beam towards Grefis who blocked it. He felt Grefis attack his mind and it was such a powerful attack that he felt overwhelmed. He roused himself and concentrated, pushed Grefis out of his mind and began to push into Grefis’. Grefis was no pushover. He struck at Jason’s faceplate. Jason blocked him but lost concentration for an instant to find himself under mental attack again. He used all his strength to attack Grefis’ mind. Grefis struck Jason’ injured shoulder just before Jason cut his motor control. Grefis collapsed leaving his knife sticking in Jason’s shoulder.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.