The Azayal- Book 5
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2019 by Hunter Johnson

Meeting the Royal Family

“We will reach the planet Remza in ten minutes. I will fly you over Merka, the capital so you can get a feel of the city, and then we will land at the palace,” said Nora. “I will show you to your rooms and then take three of you; Jason, Razza, and Julia, to meet with my mother, a brother and a sister. The rest of you will meet them at dinner. We will have a family dinner, two hours after we land where you will meet my father, and the rest of the family. I expect no other guests.”

The shuttle slowed as it approached the city. Two elegant fighter escorts peeled off and flew back to base.

“What a beautiful city!” Trackrof noted.

Behind her there were many grunts of approval. As they came lower Jason saw the city was built around a natural harbor. The city rose in terraces which steepened to become a long vertical cliff. Large homes were built high into the side of the volcano.

“Look at the harbor. It is so wide! The bridges are picturesque with houses and buildings on them. The harbor is full of old sailing ships. I have never seen a real one out of a museum. Look over there you can see paddle steamers,” said Heinrich. “Professor, I now know what you meant by saying your father has taken you backwards!”

Merka had many buildings painted in primary colors. The sunlit sky was a deep blue, much bluer than the sky on Earth and had small white puffy clouds scudding over the city. The city shone brightly in the sunlight.

“I don’t know what I expected,” said Julia, “but it wasn’t this gorgeous city. There are no towering buildings in Merka as there are in the Empires.”

The tallest buildings were only five stories, but they were substantial buildings occupying large tracts of land. There were many waterways leading off from the harbor with small yachts and a panoply of boats moving on the water. Thousands of people were walking on paths alongside the river and harbor and sitting at a proliferation of restaurants. In the city itself thousands could be seen walking as they went about their day of business or leisure.

“I am surprised to see vehicles traveling in the streets,” said Jason. “Merka could be on Earth. I think it is lovely, Nora,” said Jason.

Nora smiled, banked the shuttle and shot vertically upwards heading towards a sheer cliff near the top of the mountain. Jason cringed, and held his seat. He breathed a sigh of relief as they entered a cavernous hanger and landed.

“Walk with me towards the arch,” Nora pointed to her left towards a huge arch carved into the shiny black rock and walked through a portal at the center of the arch, followed by both groups. “As you may have guessed we entered the hanger through a disguised portal.”

Nora strode ahead and beckoned.

“Follow me.” She walked into a dimly lighted warehouse.

“Terrific, now we are in my university storage room. I think I have enough educational cubes to give you one each and plenty of brains,” said Nora grinning as she rummaged through several storage areas humming tunelessly. “Yes, I have more than enough for all of you.”

“As I give each of you a cube and a brain, I am keying it to you as I hand it to you. When you get to your room, touch this point on the side and it will assess you and what you know. First the cube will teach you our language. That is your priority. The process will take mere minutes. When you speak you will be more fluent than when you learned the language of the Collective or the language of the Coven. Our educational system gives you practice without having to use simulators.

“I will show you to your rooms. There are dressers in all of your rooms, keep a track of the time, use the refresher by giving it telepathic commands and then the dresser. Ask for evening wear and when it provides you with further choices pick semiformal. It will then offer you a series of choices and I suggest you choose the color you like. I will send you a message when we are heading down for dinner.” Directed Nora. “Guys, here you call me Pardela.”

“Mother I would like to introduce you to several of my students who represent the groups who will attend the University here on exchange.”

Nora, now Princess Pardela Ravengus introduced Jason, Razza and Julia to her mother, Queen Mergal Ravengus, her brother Prince Fallis Ravengus and her sister Princess Relaren Ravengus.

“Mother, Jason saved my life on an anthropological expedition, and is a Lord of the Empire, Razza is a crown princess of an insect species called the Coven and Julia is of nobility in the Empire. The group is divided into two subgroups. Razza’s group is all from the Coven Royal Family and Julia’s come from the Empire and are of Empire nobility. They are exceptional young people who will enjoy and benefit from our unique education,” said Pardela looking at her family.

“Pardela, you have always tended to rush to frankly discuss the issues at hand. First things first,” said Mergal, and hugged Pardela tightly, as did her brother and sister. Fallis kissed her on the cheek.

“Welcome to the three of you. I welcome you all and hope you can enjoy a week’s vacation on this beautiful planet before you begin your studies.

“Pardela, I would like to hear the story of what happened with you and Jason on your expedition,” said Mergal, the Queen.

“Jason sent me a ten-minute summary, which I will show you and then I will send you the longer version to watch, if you wish,” said Pardela. “No doubt the King will want to hear the story. He loves near death experiences almost as much as real death experiences,” said Pardela.

“Radon will be interested in your story. Tell the story to all of us at dinner. Pardela, you have a dangerous job, but I will not yet again ask you to return and stay here where we can keep you safe. I know how futile that will be. What else has been happening?” asked the Queen.

Pardela, told her mother briefly of the intergalactic war and the circumstances that led up to it and then told her the Ghouls tried to kidnap her.

“Pardela I hope you told our guests no one knows where we are. We do not face outside dangers, but we are our own worst enemies,” said Mergal then turned to look at the foreigners. “We fight amongst ourselves and the King weakens us by trying to move us to live as we did in our early years. Many of us miss being in a galaxy where there are other species even if one has to live with a higher risk.

“Radon retains a strong interest in the Universe from whence we came. I hope your stories will stimulate him to realize it is time we move ahead, stop focusing inward and engage with our old universe. Sadly, so far he remains intractable. In this place we are at risk of rotting away from a lack of stimulation and backward regression.

“Before I forget, you are all invited to the spring ball. It is two nights before university begins. I believe it will be an excellent introduction to our culture and it will be a chance to enjoy an entertaining cultural event with its origins in a harvest festival. Radon, has included all of you in the invitation. He loves to show off our society and its people. Throughout the kingdom people hold parties. The ball is the party where the Royal Household entertains all the nobles. Radon loves the ball, as the festival harks back to our earliest agricultural times.

“Pardela you have done so much since we last saw you. For us it is as if you left this morning. Nothing of any import has occurred here since you left and returned. We will see you at dinner. It is time to refresh yourselves and dress,” said Mergal as she waved them out.

“Jason, Razza and Julia, I would suggest all of you call me Pardela while you are here. Our family is not pretentious, other than my playboy brother, Wensta, who you will see at dinner. He is a useless waste of space. The dinner is all on first name terms and no your majesty, prince this or that.”

“Father, I would like to introduce you to two groups of students we have from the Empire. One of Julia’s group died while attempting an assassination and Julia here protected the Emperor of the Coven from his fate. We have a substitute from the Jumo Empire, Perditer Nazared who is the daughter of the Prime Minister, the administrative leader of the Jumo,” said Pardela as she made introductions.

“So these are the primitives,” said Wensta with a sneer, while the Vizier behind the Emperor curled his lip to mirror him.

“They are behind us in their development, that is all!” Radon Ravengus the King stated. “We have been behind other ancients, so what of it? They will learn as do our people at University, and they will learn to fight as we do. We believe in providing opportunities to those behind us, as did other ancients for us. Pardela’s students are guests in this palace, I would like you to remember it Wensta,” said Radon emphasizing each word and looking at Wensta.

Jason noticed the Vizier, a sallow faced man with a pinched face slowly begin to move. He walked past Wensta touching him gently with his hands on his shoulders and then stood behind Jason lightly touching him. Jason felt something being sucked out of him. He instinctively resisted and pulled harshly back. The Vizier was strong. They pulled back and forth for a few moments. Jason was determined and pulled as hard as he could and felt something rushing into his mind and energy into his body. The hands left his shoulder and he heard a faint sigh. There was a rustle as he heard the Vizier move again. Jason turned to follow him. Jason saw the Vizier move behind Razza and gently place a hand on her shoulder. Suddenly lightning surrounded her and she stood facing the Vizier as he fell. Her lighting struck the Vizier several times. He looked stunned lying on the floor and seemed hard pressed to take a breath. He looked distressed.

“I apologize, Radon, I will not accept staff of the palace putting their hands on me. In my father’s Empire it is punishable by death and regarded as a grave assault,” said Razza her face flushing.

The Vizier laboriously stood, then returned to his place behind the King. Radon looked at him with his head to the side and knitting his eyebrows. “I suggest you keep your hands off my guests and off all of us. I also find it offensive,” said Radon shaking his head.

Jason saw Pardela looking at her father with her mouth and eyes open wide as was her mother, brother and sister. Wensta smirked.

Radon turned towards Pardela smiling. Jason saw his sharp teeth a smaller version of those he had seen in a lion.

“Pardela, your mother mentioned there was a kidnap attempt upon you and intergalactic war has broken out again. She also mentioned young Jason here accompanied you on anthropological duties and a species of dinosaur kidnapped you. I would very much like to hear the stories.

“Perhaps begin with an overview of the intergalactic war and how it began and who fights whom, then tell us about the recent kidnapping attempt upon you and finally I would like to hear of your anthropological expedition to the dinosaurs. I am interested in all these issues,” stated Radon.

Pardela and the others in her family looked wide eyed at Radon. Just before she began her story the final princess; Pardela’s sister Kalalal arrived and was introduced by Pardela to the students. She sat opposite Jason. Kalalal remained silent but watched and listened with a furrowed brow.

Pardela told of the war first. Her father asked many questions. Jason observed Kalalal sneering at her sister but she smiled at Jason and flirted with him. Radon continued to listen to the stories with rapt attention.

“It is hard to understand what changed the Ghouls. They were sentient AI partners and companions of an ancient people the Uzliumbax and had such an excellent reputation,” said Radon shaking his head. “I cannot understand why they changed sides in the midst of a battle and now they behave so oddly. The Uzliumbax built them to serve as an army for them and as builders. They worked together for hundreds of thousands of years. The Ghouls were loyal subjects.”

Pardela surprised Jason by providing intricate details about the conduct of the war. She provided a clear picture of those involved, and the battles fought. He turned to observe the Vizier and noted he was listening carefully. The Vizier inexplicably began to move shifting weight from foot to foot and frowned as he listened to Pardela but glanced often at Jason, Razza, Julia and Perdita. He twitched every few minutes.

“Your Majesty it is getting late and we still have work to do,” said the Vizier plaintively.

“Nonsense, my man, there is nothing that urgent that it can’t wait until tomorrow. What is going on with you this evening Slymon, you are not yourself!” Radon remarked frowning and shaking his head.

Jason saw Wensta was grinning at both his father and at the Vizier.

Pardela went on to complete the story of her kidnapping.

“Again, we hear of the Ghouls. Do you know why they tried to kidnap you?”

“I have no idea. The Collective intelligence service had not completed the analysis following information retrieval from the bodies by the time I left.”

Pardela then provided a summarized version of what happened with the Parzool.

“Pardela, much has happened since we moved into our unique universe. I have begun to miss the outside world. There are many species who have the capacity for inter-universe travel and we cannot hide here forever. It is a matter of time before an enemy discovers us,” said Radon.

“Father that is nonsense!” Wensta exploded, his face suffused with anger. “We must move further to simplify our lives and live once again as did our ancestors. We have moved so far to purify our lives. This is a time to sort out the Guilds who are still trying to tell us what to do and go back to the treadmill of progress. Father, your squeeze upon them is not succeeding and that makes us a target for even more advanced species.”

“Wensta, you don’t tell me how to run my kingdom. I evolved the ideas of simplifying our lives with Slymon. I know all about a less complicated life. Lately, I have begun to reconsider. Perhaps the fundamental assumptions I made were incorrect. We have made ourselves weaker and more vulnerable. I dread the time our enemies find us. Your sister has described the intergalactic war clearly, the powerful are ignoring the fundamental principles of honor and fairness and are behaving in a predatory fashion towards the weak. The Grork, those envious hateful jellyfish will always manipulate behind the scenes and we cannot predict what the Ghouls will do. Both can travel here with ease. Neither will say we will leave you in peace because you live like primitives.”

“That is absolute garbage, you will destroy us and our future. We need nothing of the outside world. We can live here in peace and simplicity,” an enraged Wensta screamed and banged his fists on the table.

“Please excuse me, I will be back shortly,” said Jason rising from the table. The Vizier glanced at him and then continued listening attentively to the king and Wensta. Jason reached up as if to stretch after sitting for so long but drew his sword. Slymon looked at Jason then his eyes widened as he saw the sword and put up his hands palms outward. Jason moved quickly and cut off the head of the Vizier, then stabbed into his abdomen twisted and tore it open. The King and Wensta rose, transforming into fearsome warriors and drew their swords. The guards moved towards Jason with energy weapons drawn and ready.

Jason returned his sword into trans-dim space, stood with open palms facing the guards then turned to Radon.

“Radon, Slymon is a Ghoul,” said Jason, “to confirm it Radon look at the electronics in his neck and inside the abdomen. “The Ghouls discovered where you are and infiltrated you. Come and look over here. If you have any doubts a short examination of the body should help remove your concerns.”

Jason saw the guards relax and look at the King who waved them back to stand near the walls.

Jason breathed more easily.

Radon moved to the headless corpse and bent down to look at it. He pulled out his knife to help him peer into the neck and abdomen and proclaimed, “He is a Ghoul, I can see a mix of electronics and biogenic tissue. Have a look for yourselves.”

Razza turned in her chair to examine the body as the others seated at the table began to rise. Wensta was slow to return his weapon to its scabbard. He glared at Jason.

Radon turned to his secretary seated near him at the table. “Gromon, contact General Sarajengus and ask him to attend us as a matter of urgency. Tell him he will learn what the issues are when he is here.”

Jason noticed Wensta sported two-inch-long claws and his canines protruded from his mouth like short tusks. Jason saw an axe on his belt. He looked furious and turned to glare at his father.

Radon ignored him and turned to face Jason.

“Well, done young man” - he turned to face his son and thundered - “Wensta transform back, sit down and relax.”

Radon transformed himself from his warrior visage to his usual form.

“We will wait for General Nastovor Sarajengus before we repeat what happened and further discuss this war which embroils us. We can have a drink while we are waiting, I have a new wine we can try. It is from our estates and has been maturing for thirty years.”

Wensta sat down but glared at Jason for several seconds before transforming back to his previous form. He looked at the table and fiddled with a side plate. Kalalal glared at Wensta. Princess Relaren and her brother Fallis said nothing. Jason had not heard them speak a single word or express any emotions. Fallis sat awkwardly at the edge of his seat and shifted his position frequently. Relaren looked serenely ahead of her.

Ten minutes later a very handsome man accompanied by a fine-looking young woman, both in elegant uniforms, entered the room. Radon introduced them. Nastovor Sarajengus and his companion nodded and smiled at all the family members. The woman was Adm. Maron Mergazengis. Both looked as though they were in the early twenties.

“I apologize for asking my colleague Maron to accompany me, but you know her well and your man used his judgment and said he believed it was a matter of grave importance. I felt such a matter justified bringing her along.” He looked at Radon who nodded. The general looked around the room. “I also note your Vizier is lying recumbent on the floor. No doubt something of some importance has happened?”

“Please join us at the table. Relaren pass them the cheese please” - he waved to a server - “Please bring fresh glasses and another few bottles of wine and pour for our guests.”

“I will go back a week and tell you the story from that time,” said Radon twirling the wine in his glass. He beckoned to a server. “Please bring in some fruit and cheese and refill the plates on the tables.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.