Surprise Melody Flintkote. Part Two - Cover

Surprise Melody Flintkote. Part Two

Copyright© 2019 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 60

OK ... it’s not like I’m new to the Lakes. Mom loved ‘em ... they were where we went when looking for Dad got to be an overbearing burden. Basilisk was home ported in Pentwater. There aren’t all that many places where a big catamaran can sail in western Virginia ... or east Tennessee. Oh ... there are impoundments but ... up to speed and turn around isn’t much fun. But ... I was a kid when Mom hired the first crew and sent us down the Saint Lawrence.

“See the world, kids.” Was the last thing I remember her saying.

We did ... five times.

Well ... I did. Cynthia and JW? They were about 4 and a half circumnavigations when I left Prospekt Sholokhova, 272, Rostov-on-Don, Rostov Oblast, Russia, 344009 for Moscow ... for 49 bucks.

The thing about big water? It’s water. Salt, brackish or fresh ... it’s water. AND ... if you can’t see land in any direction ... it’s an ocean ... even if it’s a lake. It gets old ... and new.

We ... the three of us ... left Ludington on the tide ... not that there’s much of a tide ... there’s not ... but old habits die hard. We left with the tide.

Bea said, “Not Beatrice ... Bea ... and NOT B-e-e ... Mom was a little religious ... Beatitude Simmons.”

I had a thought...

“Thinking like that could find you overboard.”

“Yes, ma’am ... not Tudie ... B-e-a ... got it.”

She grinned.

“Whoa, Surprise ... you may have saved my life ... B-E-A. What happened with your sister?”

“Mom was out ... unconscious ... after Missy was born. Before Mom woke up, Daddy named her.”

“As long as you remember I am not Princess ... Her Highness ... or any other honorific, we’re good. I am Junior.”

“Got it ... where are we going?”

I said, “Supposed to be a familiarization sail for Queenie there. Where to?” I looked right at Junior when I said it.

“Grrr ... not south ... or at least ... not very far. North is good. The islands are pretty. Ooo ... what did I say?”

“Islands got me here ... tropical is bad.”

“How about ‘Sacred?’” Bea said.

And she just had to explain.

Before the white eyes came, the eastern islands of the lake the Ojibwa Indians called Mishigami, meaning large lake, were sacred. the freshwater lakes of the islands had water more pure, (taste better) than the big lake. Ceremonies using the water from the island lakes soon made the islands special (MAGIC). There is a lot to be said about magic ... it worked before science and God took over. And then the ships came. The ships brought God. God took what he wanted. Now ... every time land on the islands is for sale or abandoned ... the Natives buy or claim it. Eventually the land will be sacred again ... the water always was.

We went North.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.