Surprise Melody Flintkote. Part Two - Cover

Surprise Melody Flintkote. Part Two

Copyright© 2019 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 51

“He’s an elder,” Junior explained.

“Well,” she twirled a toe on the dock. “I don’t trust the people who used to be in charge ... and I’m not sure of the competence of the people Too ... mom ... put on the advisory board.”

“Grandmothers ... assign a council of post menopausal grandmother residents of each county ... they know everybody,” I suggested. “Beside that ... they have an axe to grind.”

“Axe?”

“Grandfathers.”

“Ah ... I see.”

“You could even have elections ... what?”

“They’ll buy their way in.”

“Maximum of three months between start to finish... 11 hundred dollars limit on campaigning expenditures.”

“I’ll give it a think.” She asked, “David? Is the Basilisk ready?”

David said. “I stocked the basics, fuel, water, there’s some food ... the batteries are up. Facilities all work. Surprise, the Princess would like a ride. No. Don’t ask her ... are YOU available to swan around on the big lake for a day or two.”

“Are you kidding? She flew all the way to Ottawa to pick me up ... sure. I could take a week.”

“I can’t,” David said. “I’m dredging.” He pointed at a tug and an odd looking dredge.

“What is that?” I asked.

“Gold dredge ... a big one. There’s no sense wasting resources. I make my money and add to Junior’s coffers cleaning up a century and a half of poor management ... and there’s about fifteen thousand first growth maple, chestnut, walnut, oak and white pine logs still littering the bottom ... sunk because the old mill couldn’t or didn’t get to them in time. And I do the channel too. Pentwater is a tourist attraction.”

“David has a ‘Duty’ complex,” Junior said. “Maybe I should put HIM in charge.” It was said with an absolutely evil grin.

“NO!” David said. “I AM NOT doing it! I have enough trouble keeping Andy minding her own business.”

“Who is Andy?” I asked.

“My wife. She’s in Europe checking on her property ... and visiting her Aunt,” he said.

“Oh...” I turned to Junior, “There’s a lot more to what he said ... isn’t there.” Not a question ... a statement.

“She’s the roving Goodwill Ambassador and Admiral of the Nevis and St. Kitts Navy. Duchess of Rákóczi-Hapsburg, Her Royal Highness, Andrea, Princess Slagle Most Excellent, Koenigsknecht, Dame of the Realm of Rákóczi-Hapsburg. Lady Slagle ... and Doctor of History.”

“Ooo ... you rattled that off like you know her,” I said.

“Yes ... she’s a personal friend ... mentor ... watch holder ... author ... pilot ... the Aunt she’s visiting is the Queen.”

“So ... David...” I nodded at him, “Is more than just an Uncle?”

“Yeah ... Consort.”

“But he’s so ... plain.”

“Just wait until he’s Captain Austin...”

“Formidable?”

“You could say that.”

“I’m right here,” he said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.