Surprise Melody Flintkote. Part Two - Cover

Surprise Melody Flintkote. Part Two

Copyright© 2019 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 45

The landing was, according to the older gentleman, just about perfect. The Goose is an amphibian and RCAF Station Rockliffe had a seaplane ramp for Royal Canadian Air Force flying boats. The Goose landed on the runway ... not the river.

The old gentleman’s allergies must have been bothering him because he resorted to a florid handkerchief quite a bit as he narrated a quick history of the airfield. The saddest part of the impromptu history lesson was the changes to the base as it was being abandoned.

“I trained here ... didn’t graduate in time to make The Big Show but I was in on the Poland Relief Effort after the war.” He made a grand gesture, “All this was officers housing, other ranks barracks and maintenance buildings. They took it down piecemeal ... took years. Gone ... all gone...” and so was he. Lost in memory.

So ... this busty 13 or 14 year old redheaded kid stepped up.

“You this Surprise I’m supposed to ferry to to the Water?” she asked.

Now ... understand ... I was expecting a pilot. What was standing in front of me looked like a kid playing dress-up ... or trying out a Halloween costume ... whichever ... she was NOT old enough to fly. I looked skeptical and it showed.

She stuck out her hand like a human and I shook it.

“Wendolyn Wanzor Elizabeth Austin ... the Third ... Junior. Never Trey or Third or Trip ... Junior. I’m cursed to be forever short, busty and redheaded. I know I look 13 ... I’m 20 and hold certifications for damn near everything that flies. I brought the Goose because David said you bought my house and Pentwater doesn’t have an airfield., He said you have a monster catamaran. I’ve never experienced a catamaran ... I’d like a ride ... please.”

While this rather scattered introduction was in pre ... and post amble ... there were dignitaries and others of their ilk waiting and wanting to interrupt so they could press flesh and pose for the flood of cameras of the Media.

What could be heard of the prattle in the background was variations of a theme ... the theme being ... mostly, “I wouldn’t have come if my campaign manager hadn’t called to say SHE was going to be here.” One may substitute any type of personal assistant for ‘campaign manager’ to suit what one overheard. Even though the event had the participation of most of the private pilots of Ontario it wasn’t important enough to get Them out of bed without the Princess’ presence.

What wasn’t noticed by the Press and the Captains of Industry was the absence of the Military ... they were in Ei Paso learning to fly the new S&S trainer and the S&S Stealth Fighter. Ontario has never gotten over the USA veto of the Avro Arrow.

There was nothing for it ... Junior had to present ‘The License.’ It was a little worn ... on the folds anyway... “Impressive.” Surprise was heard to say.

“Let me collect my things ... Charles! No ... you can let him through ... he’s my driver and partner in crime ... and he has my clothes.”

“Surprise?” Junior looked up from the delicate chore of refolding the goat skin pilots license. “Your clothes are in that Van?”

At the nod...

“I AM glad I brought the Goose. She’ll haul ‘em. I think.”

“Junior ... Charles. Charles ... Junior. Charles ... clothes ... in that.” I gestured at the Goose.

At the Pub after ... Charles said, “She shook my hand ... the Princess ... she shook my hand ... like I was people. I may never wash it again.”

Fueled, oiled and peed We loaded ... up ... and that was the beginning of a new adventure.

“Sit...”

“Doesn’t the pilot...”

“No ... she sits left.” She did. She handed me a book.

“Read ... out-loud.”

“Ground Check List.”

“Get out ... follow me around.”

WE shook, peered, kicked, unpinned, lifted, fingered, laddered and generally made sure ... as sure as we could ... that we weren’t going to fall down and go boom.

I turned a page ... Cockpit Check List.

“Get in. Sit. Read.”

I read ... and so help me ... she laid a finger on every instrument and lever without looking ... Really!

Lights blinked from red to green and I had to tell her WHERE the light went out.

The pages eventually ended with Fasten Seat Belts. The engines roared ... the propellors turned. We taxied ... Hey ... she called it that ... and there was a feeling of speed when I retracted the landing gear. I RETRACTED the GEAR!

Then she said, “Follow me along on the Yoke ... lightly!”

The compass said WEST NORTHWEST. When we were over a big lake...”Lake Huron,” she said. “Your Airplane.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.