Surprise Melody Flintkote. Part Two - Cover

Surprise Melody Flintkote. Part Two

Copyright© 2019 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 42

You know what “They” say about assumptions ... I couldn’t get a flight into Ludington. Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit ... even Lansing was just fine ... but not anyplace nearer than 100 miles from Pentwater. Visa couldn’t arrange a rental car... 22 is too young ... no matter WHO was vouching for me. Murphy had me cold ... and I was still in Ottawa.

That hundred miles? Included a voyage on fresh water in a big boat. And Then I discovered that the Ludington Ferry went to Manitowoc ... not Milwaukee. The Milwaukee boat went to Muskegon ... and I’d still have to drive a hundred miles to get to Pentwater.

Since I had a drive no matter what ... I decided I’d buy a car in Ottawa and sightsee on the way...

Ah ... nope. Wrong license ... Australia ... but I could Delta to Milwaukee. I’d have to change planes at The Hub but that seemed a minuscule difficulty.

Then I discovered that The Hub is Minneapolis St. Paul ... Minnesota. Or Atlanta ... Georgia. Just how far out of the way was I willing to put up with?

According to one passport, I was Commonwealth ... the other was US. Dual citizenship ... born in the USA ... hadn’t been in the continental United States in 12 years.

And suddenly ... I needed...

“Umh ... I need a bathroom ... right now ... oh, heck ... too late,” The circular file at the desk received my breakfast ... and lunch, Visa was appalled.

“Newly going to be mom,” I said. “First strike,” and added more to the brown bin. “I had no idea.”

Miss Visa looked ... held my hair ... commiserated and said, “Pregnant ... for sure ... this is normal?”

“Why?”

“My boyfriend is getting ‘insistent.’” She looked a little worried. “I’ve never been on the pill ... well ... once...” She looked a trifle chagrined. “Allergic to it. One in maybe a thousand ... and it Has to be me ... of course.”

“Murphy,” I said.

“Murphy?”

“One of Murphy’s laws. “When all is right with the world ... it’s not.”” I said.

“Oh ... THAT Murphy.”

“Uh huh.” I patted my belly. “This little one was not my idea,”

“Murphy.”

“John Beavers ... from Beavers Bottom ... Kentucky ... not Murphy ... a hop, a skip, and a jump from Frogmorton.” I sighed, “Of all people I’d never met or expected to see ... someone from home? Nope.

“So ... how do I get to Pentwater?”

She started typing ... hit enter and said, “You can fly to Manitowoc from Milwaukee ... wait ... umh ... that charter carrier is no longer affiliated with Manitowoc ... wait ... let me check ... nope ... Ludington Airfield is now operated by the county ... no Fixed Base Operator.”

“Wait ... I just remembered something the Marina guy said. Mother may I.”

She didn’t even hesitate ... she handed me the phone.

“Yes, operator ... United States.”

“Michigan ... umh ... Pentwater.”

“Anderson’s Salvage.”

“You can connect me? Please.”

“Anderson’s Salvage. Dave Austin, chief salvor ... how can I help?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.