Surprise Melody Flintkote. Part Two
Chapter 40

Copyright© 2019 by Old Man with a Pen

“Really?”

“Really.”

“Okay.”

She took off to the back and was gone a good fifteen minutes. Eventually a door opened.

“Is there an actual Grundy in Virginia, USA?”

“Yup ... about 12 miles from Frogmorton.”

“Honest?”

“Cross my heart and hope to die,” I said.

“I always thought Grundy was a joke,” she said.

“Nope ... real place,” I said.

“Frogmorton?”

“I grew up there until I sailed around the world.” Then I confessed, “It’s a National Forest now.”

“Yup ... you’re her,” she said. “I never heard of a woman named Surprise before.”

“Mom was surprised I wasn’t afterbirth,” I said. “So was the nurse.”

“Shingle Bank and Trust of Grundy, Virginia is paying your bills ... evidently ... you are the ‘Trust’ part.” She looked ... confused. “Where are your siblings?”

“Russia,” I qualified that, “Maybe.”

“Maybe?”

“They may have sailed by now,” I said. “Or they might be waiting for an ‘interesting event.’”

“I heard the quotation marks,” she said. “Childbirth?”

“Cyn was much farther along ... and Zoe would be right behind her,” I said. “Then it would be my turn.” That part of the announcement was tinged with chagrin.

“You don’t sound happy,” she said.

“The evidence presented in the ear twisting wife or girlfriend has given me reason to think he may have been a cheater.”

“Ah ... I see.”

Unlike most people, she wasn’t using the ‘I see’ unknowingly. She Knew.”

“May I use a phone. I need to make several calls.”

“Certainly.” She stepped away from the desk.

“Don’t go ... I’ll probably need a witness.”

“Ooo ... speakerphone...” she pushed a button... “And recording.”

“Why the big grin?” I asked.

“Citizens of the big country to the south think their laws apply worldwide. We can record to our hearts content ... and don’t have to notify them we are ... such fun.”

“Oh.” Grin.

“Lessee ... who is first. Border ... then Pentwater ... for starters.”

“Border Crossing ... Port Huron.” A pleasant female voice. I wonder how long that’ll last.

“Hello,” I said. “I have questions.”

“I might have answers.”

“Oh ... I like the way you phrased that, I suppose I might as well jump in with both feet.”

“That might be best.”

“Do you have an ‘apprehend on entry’ list?”

“We do.”

“May I possibly be on it?”

“Well ... that’s the first time anyone has asked,” she said. “Who are you?”

“Surprise Me Flintkote,” I said. “My mother...”

“Ah ... yes ... her.” she said. “Let me check.”

The phone was on hold.

I looked at the Visa clerk. “This could be bad.”

“If she comes right back with a no ... you are.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.