Dun and Dusted, Part I;  Book 7 of  Poacher's Progress . - Cover

Dun and Dusted, Part I; Book 7 of Poacher's Progress .

Copyright© 2019 by Jack Green

Chapter 13: A flawed theory

To say I was surprised at Rollo’s revelation would be an understatement.
I was completely flabbergasted.
“By monotheistic faiths you are referring to Judaism, Christianity, Mohammedanism, and what other?” I said, after regaining my breath and taking a settling swallow of porter.
“Zoroastrianism, Colonel. The religion of Persia, from about fifteen hundred BC until the Arab invasion of the country in six fifty AD.”
“I know nothing of that religion, but surely Judaism predates it, and...”
“Actually, Colonel, they are roughly of the same age, give or take a century or two. Of course Christianity is eighteen hundred years old, and Mohammedanism twelve hundred years old, give or take a decade or two.”
“I believe most theological scholars agree Christianity and Mohammedanism sprang from the same root, namely Judaism. So how Crudwright imagines the four religions started at the same time in Egypt – among a people who worshipped a very crowded pantheon of Gods and Goddesses – is beyond me. It is as I suspected when first meeting him: the fellow is a barmpot.”

Rollo grinned, although he probably did not know the meaning of the word.
“I understand that his theory is based on the fact the pharaoh in question ruled in Egypt during the time Judaism and Zoroastrianism first evolved. The professor must have a strong conviction that his theory can be justified as he has part funded the expedition. In return, he has been allowed to spend two months excavating near Lake Timsah, before the expedition moves on to Luxor and Aswan.”
“You are remarkably well informed as to the purposes, and the destinations, of the expedition, Rollo.”
“I have been working at the museum for over six months, decoding the many texts and inscriptions copied from stelae, which are inscribed stone or wooden slabs. One such stele was recently discovered in Amarna, an abandoned city about two hundred miles south of Cairo. The pharaoh, who Professor Crudwright believes to have initiated the four monotheistic religions of the world, made Amarna his capital some three thousand years ago. I managed to decode the text on the stele, which gives an account of a building being constructed on the east bank of Lake Timsah, opposite the settlement of Timsah. The hieroglyph for a building has an extra glyph appended to indicate the building’s purpose. One particular glyph is used to indicate a temple, another a domestic dwelling, another a palace, etc. The building mentioned in the text had an extra glyph I had not come across before, but it was similar to a glyph that means ‘foolish’ or ‘vainglorious’. I translated it as ‘folly’, as the text appeared to be mocking the person, presumably the pharaoh, for having the building constructed. I assume the building to be similar to those structures raised by rich men on their estates that are nothing practical but rather an indication of the man’s wealth and eccentricities.”
“And this Folly is what Crudwright hopes to discover, and prove his theory?”
“Exactly, Colonel.”
“If the expedition is to be some wild goose chase, sparked by the unfounded theories of Crudwright, then I need to have a word with him and the Director and Deputy Director of the museum. HMG is not paying out good coin for some farfetched theory to be disproved. We will return to the British Museum and get straight answers to several straight questions I aim to pitch at Messrs Player, Lee-Joshin and Crudwright.”

We left Boodles within minutes, hailed a hackney carriage, and returned to the museum. The three academics were still huddled about the map on the table in Player’s office.
“I have questions, gentlemen,” I said. “Which one of you is going to answer them?”
“You need first to ask your questions before any one of us can answer them,” Player said, scowling at me.
“Very well. Why is the expedition’s site of exploration situated at the eastern side of the Nile Delta, when all the temples, palaces, and tombs are in the Nile Valley?”
Player looked at Lee-Joshin. “You can answer his questions, Owen. Take him to your office, and allow Crudwright and me to get on with more important work than answering fatuous questions. “ He gave me another intimidating glare and returned to discussing the map with Crudwright.

My demon, dormant for the past nine years, stirred.
‘Geld the arrogant swine. Let us discover how pugnacious he is when your blade is at his nugs.’
My hand slid to the concealed knife in my boot, but before I drew the blade Lee-Joshin, blissfully unaware I was about to explode in fury, took me by the arm.
“Please accompany me to my office, Sir Elijah, where I will give you and Captain Guest a full account of the aims and scope of the expedition.”
I calmed down as he hurried me away, but my demon continued to grumble as we walked along the corridor to Lee-Joshin’s office.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.