Dun and Dusted, Part I; Book 7 of Poacher's Progress .
Chapter 10. Orders are Orders

Copyright© 2019 by Jack Green

The Foreign Office. London. September 16th, 1832.

“Sir Elijah, it is a pleasure to finally meet you.”
Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston, rose from his chair, came around his desk and shook me warmly by the hand.
I was quite surprised by his affability as he is known as ‘Lord Pumice Stone’ to the general public on account of his abrasive personality.

“The pleasure is all mine, My Lord,” I said.
He smiled, then pointed to a pair of plump-cushioned chairs positioned one each side of a large ornate fireplace.
“Please take a seat, Sir Elijah.” He nodded towards the fireplace, where kindling and coal lay in the grate. “The fire will not be lit until October the First, when winter officially begins according to Civil Service regulations. Even I, His Majesty’s Secretary of State at the Foreign Office, cannot change what Civil Service mandarins have decreed.”


Mimi and I had returned to London from Paris four days previously.
The girls were pleased to see us but obviously had not pined during our absence. Indeed, they were full of what they had been doing while staying at Kensington Palace, with frequent mentions of ‘Uncle Darcy’, ‘Aunt Louise’, and ‘Uncle William’.
The first two we could recognise as Darcy Algernon Grenville Fitzhugh and Baroness Louise Lehzen. However, I was astonished to discover ‘Uncle William’ referred to no less a personage than William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne, and His Majesty’s Secretary of State at the Home Office.
I recalled Humphrey Appleton telling me Melbourne was a frequent visitor to Kensington Palace, and was greatly admired by Princess Alexandrina.
Both Mollie and Caroline had developed a certain poise and self-assurance since we last saw them, although Mollie was always the more confident of the two girls. I believed the strict protocol prevalent at a royal palace, coupled with the lessons in deportment and etiquette given by Baroness Lehzen, Princess Alexandrina’s governess, was the reason for their more mature air.

We intended spending a week in London at Monmouth House before travelling to Grantham and staying at ‘Coromandel’ until the beginning of December. It was usual for the family to spend Christmas at Château Blanchard, where Jean-Woodrow would also be present, on vacation from the Sorbonne.
Our plans were disrupted by a message delivered to Monmouth House requesting my presence at the Foreign Office.
I admit I was surprised to be summoned. I had no contacts with anyone working at the Foreign Office, and other than I had recently been in France had not been anywhere ‘foreign’.


Lord Palmerston soon gave me the reason for my attendance. We were seated either side of the unlit fire in his office, a glass of Amontillado in my hand, Oloroso in his.

“How was Paris? Have the Frogs fully recovered from the attempted revolution? Your sister-in-law had a close relationship with one of the main instigators of the uprising. While you were staying at the Garibaldi’s did she let on as to what happened to those conspirators who escaped? Did Armand Garibaldi confide in you -- he must have been concerned about his chances of becoming a deputy with a Jacobin as a wife?”
Palmerston’s questions came thick and fast, and now I had the reason for my summons.
Anger flared in my face. “You have had me followed? How dare...”
He raised a placatory hand. “Come now, Sir Elijah. You are a knight of the Order of the Bath, and your daughters are close companions to the next Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Of course, the F.O. kept tabs on you when you were in Paris. If they knew of your connection with Princess Alexandrina, which I assume they do, you would have been a person of interest to the French.”

My anger dissipated; I could understand the reason for being monitored when in Paris, and answered Palmerston’s questions to the best of my ability.

“Paris appeared calm, with people going about their business as usual. There are still many signs of the conflict, such as cobblestones ripped from the streets, musket ball scars on buildings and trees, and barricades only partly demolished. Some buildings look as if they had been set ablaze, or struck by cannon fire...”

“So, King Louis-Phillipe managed to hang onto his throne, not that we, that is the Cabinet, thought he would be overthrown,” Palmerston said. “From reports received at the F.O. the uprising appears to have been poorly organised and managed, and directed more against the government rather than the king, who the population believes is little more than a puppet of the politicians currently in power. Of course, the cholera epidemic in Paris was one cause for anger and discontent. Agitators stirred up the population by rumours of the wells being poisoned on orders of the government.”
Palmerston took a drink from his glass before continuing. “By all accounts, Louis-Phillipe is quite a likable little fellow, although rather eccentric. He is reputed to have a grey parrot called Cicero that he has taught to speak Latin. I find that hard to believe, although it is said the parrot gives him much better advice than does his ministers. Now that is something I can believe!”
I thought it most unlikely Louis-Phillipe would keep a pet parrot as an adviser – eccentricity is not something the French indulge in, or appreciate.

Palmerston was looking at me with a quizzical expression on his face, and I realised I had not yet fully answered all his questions, specifically those concerning Chloe and Armand Garibaldi.
“My sister in law, Chloe, said nothing about the uprising, and neither did her husband Armand. They are simply getting on with their lives, as are the rest of the inhabitants of the city.”
Palmerston nodded. “Yes, I can understand why the Garibaldis would wish to keep a low profile, and are reluctant to speak of what happened, even to close relations like you and your charming wife. Armand Garibaldi interests us, and your sister-in-law, Chloe, has quite a reputation as a -- “ He paused, and chose his words carefully before continuing, “ passionate advocate for the Rights of Man, and women, and would favour France becoming a Republic.”

“Why does Armand Garibaldi interest you, My Lord?”
He laid his finger alongside his nose. “Cannot say too much, Sir Elijah, but take it from me, one day the name of Garibaldi will ring around Europe.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.