Omnia Vincit Amor
Chapter 18

Copyright© 2019 by Always Raining

Both Claire and John, on their respective sides of the Channel, found themselves with no preparations to make for Christmas, other than buying presents for their families. Both had tried to take part in the organisation of the holiday, and both were gently but firmly told to relax and leave it to the children.

Phone lines between the two families would have been hot as tasks were assigned by Mary, if all the calls and texts weren’t by mobile. The dark December days passed quickly.

Mary, her two children and John Klinsman, still single and now a PhD and research assistant/lecturer, made the journey on the Sunday before Christmas, picking up Ellen on the way. Ellen’s children came with Simon as soon as school was finished.

“Mother,” Mary had said in her best ‘organising’ voice. “If you come over early we won’t be able to stop you trying to help. You won’t relax. So the men who can’t leave until Christmas Eve will escort you early on Saturday and drive you up here from the airport to get you here by early afternoon. OK?”

“Far be it from me to interfere with your plans,” Claire said laughing. “I’ll do as I’m told.”

The Pollards had arrived on Friday and on Saturday morning, and the Klinsman contingent were also in place by Saturday, the children all being involved with decorating the tree and the rest of the house, and so when Claire entered through the front door at Saturday lunchtime, the first people she saw were Adam (9) and Stuart (7), James Pollard’s children, decorating an entrance hall table with a crib.

“Hello Mrs Klinsman,” said Adam cheerfully. “D’you like our crib?”

Claire, completely taken aback, but as a teacher always concerned to encourage children’s enterprises, looked at what they were doing with real, unfeigned interest.

“Hello,” she said. “Wow! That’s really good. I love the greenery.”

At that moment Catherine emerged from the living room.

“Oh, hi Claire!” Catherine greeted her blithely.

Claire was by now speechless, and was casting about for a sufficiently civil response to Catherine, when Mary came into the hallway from the kitchen.

“Mum! I didn’t hear the car arrive. Have a good journey?”

“Long, but yes thank you Mary,” Claire replied suspiciously. Then, “Mary, I want a word in private.”

The glance with raised eyebrows between Mary and Catherine, did not pass unnoticed by Claire.

“If you will excuse us Catherine,” Claire said with a stony face. Catherine shrugged her assent.

The two women went into the dining room. Mary left the door ajar, which Claire did not notice, since she was seating herself at the table with her back to it. Mary remained standing, feeling more like a naughty schoolgirl than a twenty-nine year old woman, and the feeling annoyed her.

“All right Mary, what’s going on?” Claire asked, eyes blazing.

“Would you believe an accidental double booking?” Mary said with half a grin on her face.

“This isn’t funny Mary!” Claire snapped. “I’m getting tired of you and Lizzie trying to run my life. I made my wishes concerning John and his family perfectly clear, and you’ve trampled all over my feelings. If it weren’t too late on Christmas Eve I’d be on the train back to the airport. How dare you do this to me!”

“OK, I’ll admit you made your wishes clear about John, but you said nothing about his family,” said Mary with a touch of defiance. “And you really enjoyed the last Christmas they were here.”

“And methinks the lady doth protest too much!” came a voice from the doorway, as Elizabeth came in sporting a wide grin. “Anyone’d think John had insulted you the way you’re going on, Mother!”

“I’m sick of you two manipulating my life. And lying to me, oh yes, where’s the nice quiet restful Christmas with my family about me? That’s what you promised. No chance of that is there?”

“Oh Mother!” exclaimed Mary. “You know as well as I do that John’s family will rally round was well as ours, and you’ll get all the rest you need. And you’ll have loads of lovely extra people to talk to.”

“So his family’s here, but where’s John?” Claire stopped suddenly. “Wait a minute! Does he know about all this?”

“Well, actually no,” said Lizzie.

Claire sighed, and looked askance at her two daughters.

“Mum, you’ll get on really well with John; you know how lovely he is. We just want you and him to meet again, spend some time together with none of the baggage you had before. You have been avoiding each other, haven’t you?”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.