Sword Saint Book Two (Incomplete) - Cover

Sword Saint Book Two (Incomplete)

Copyright© 2019 by Shaddoth

Chapter 9: Kids these Days

The rest of the journey home passed easily. Dina split time between her Sister and her new paramour. She captivated Allard, Emily admitted to me later that I had been correct with paring those two together and that it didn’t seem to hinder her lessons at all. After that horrendous downpour the skies threatened but rarely delivered. For two weeks we traveled at a decent pace, stopped regularly and sparred with our guards and each other. All of the guards taking every opportunity to work with us to better their skills; every morning and evening with an occasional brief bout at lunch.

With such an abundance of training, Chandra and I improved our teamwork considerably. Emily took some time and helped us even more than I could have alone. Having another person pointing out our mistakes and taking the time for us to work through them helped. I made time to do the same for those two. I used both two weapons, we still had a few extra sets on the carriage, and my single. I tried to change my style to match the single longsword of the Kalabar raiders. With the dual blades I had to magically heighten my speed to make up for my lack of skill.

Only once did Emily ask if she could come at me fully enhanced. Her words were ‘magicked up’ but I understood the request. I didn’t enhance mine fully, but I did heighten more than even Chandra could pace. Dina let it be known that her Sister and I were about to match drawing everybody in the camp to spectate.

I knew that she wanted to just have the freedom of letting go without fear of hurting her opponent. She knew, without either of us mentioning it that I could out pace her and that my skill exceeded hers. Our bout lasted twenty minutes before Emily collapsed from exhaustion brought on from excessive usage of one’s own power. Emily over did it, of course, but we had both of our Postulants standing by in case anything happened.

Since the bout happened in the early evening we were able to take care of her and then rest for the night. I was impressed with her power, it surpassed Chandra’s, by how much I don’t know. I still had no way of gauging relative power levels.

During our travels, Celia made her presence known. That afternoon following our night in the tent and my healing, she provoked an argument with Chandra. When I asked about it later, neither could recall a disagreement between the two of them. The little minx kept me in her cross-hairs, never missing a spar or a teaching match, frequently riding with whomever rode along with me chatting amicably with both my companion at the time and myself.

Chandra for her part, would either ride off alone or join us in our discussions. Celia would frustrate her to no end, after that first blow up between the two of them, not once did I see the petite blond, be anything but kind and friendly to anyone in the camp. Chandra even said that she mostly stopped crying out at night when I asked how she had been sleeping.

That there was tension between the two of them, couldn’t be missed. Emily being Emily would point out as soon as one or the other left me for a few minutes that between the two of them, I had not been out of their collective sight since ‘that night’. Startled, I glared at my erstwhile riding companion for seeing it and then pointing it out. I sure as hell didn’t want to know that. The stout Sister continued to be amused at my situation, taunting me with made up plans that the girls had planned for the rest of my and my children’s lives.

The first time that I acknowledged that her taunts disturbed me, the evil woman pressed on, naming my children and my children’s children. I proved my idiocy when I blatantly told her to be ‘shut up’. She responded by naming each ones of my children’s occupations and their lives, spinning a creative, yet annoying yarn. Emily finally discontinued her hour long tease when both Celia and Chandra returned together and rode alongside us, asking what we were talking about.

I pointedly said that Emily was telling me a Fairy Tale. Since none of the three knew what one was, I effectively derailed Emily’s evil story by reciting Red Riding Hood. The three were an attentive audience, and I must admit, both Chandra and Celia were pretty which didn’t hurt. On top of that, they took turns making insightful comments and questions about the moral of the story. I didn’t know, and admitted it. We then got into a discussion about what we thought the moral could be. Emily sat back and just watched the three of us with that knowing smirk directed at me that she had been cultivating of late. At one point she did mention that ‘I would have to do better with my children. Not knowing simple answers would get me in trouble.’ She couldn’t contain her mirth, with the horse she rode on, going in circles while she tried to catch her breath half leaning over the edge of the saddle giggling herself.

“I hope that you fall off and she runs away. Twice!” I grimaced in disgust at my friend’s antics.

My two shadows glared at me for being rude to any Priestess, let alone a companion, it wasn’t until I pointed to that pair of identical glares that they looked at each other and rode off in a huff. Together. Even though they had been working in concert of late, I think that this was the first time that I saw them act as one. I felt a shiver of something run down my spine. I stopped my horse and prayed.

What have you planned for me, Bright Lady?

She didn’t respond, but I didn’t expect her to. I rode Juniper over to Allard and let him know that I would be back in a couple of hours. I needed to think. And escape from my stalkers. He wasn’t supposed to let me out of his sight but knew that my word was good. Without waiting for him to respond, we left at a full run. I don’t think that any of his men’s horses could have kept up anyway, Juniper was a thoroughbred, where his men’s mounts were mostly farm horses raised to be ridden.

I rode thinking of what it meant that the girls didn’t let me out of their collective sights. They were either planning or contesting something. I was that ‘I’ was that ‘something’, unless Emily had been completely wrong in her observations. Even I could see that she had been correct that they were both stalking me. Stalking. Yes, that word described it well.

When I told Emily earlier that I didn’t have any plans for either of them I lied. That didn’t mean that they didn’t have some for me. Chandra wanted me to ask her father and Mother Browynn if I could court her. I didn’t know who Celia needed to ask, but if she was to be the next duchess as she stated earlier then maybe no one.

Hell, hopefully they’ll keep the contest to themselves and deal with it after the war. That would give me enough time to get used to the idea of marriage. Even then, it might be too soon. Like I said earlier, they will let me know when the time comes. For now, I have a Postulant to train and a war to fight. Unfortunately for me, I did not believe things would go as I wanted. Both were too intent on having their way and I was not willing to hurt either over when and where.

I found the procession holding a merchant caravan that was also on its way to the capitol. Allard had stopped for the afternoon to restock. The caravan didn’t want to stay all that long but he wouldn’t let them go until I returned.

“I told him that you would be safe, but he didn’t listen to me.” Chandra pouted at me later.

“It’s his responsibility to keep everyone here safe and to get us to your father. Now go apologize to Allard for undermining his authority.” She did, but wasn’t happy about it. Celia looked smug when I sent Chandra off. So, I had to even up the equation or I wouldn’t hear the end of it.

“As for you, have you talked to Chandra about what happened yet?” She shook her head and lowered it in shame. I waited for Chandra to return before I continued. “Celia, I want you to talk to Chandra about what happened to you. She’s your friend and will help you get past the nightmares. If you need me, I’ll be here for you too.” Celia’s head shot up and she stared at me in disbelief and then at Chandra in accusation.

“Celia.” I barked. Once I had her attention again, I continued. “I didn’t sleep much that night, so I know that you have trouble sleeping. I also know about the damage that you incurred and what it means. Chandra didn’t tell me anything.” I softened my voice, “She won’t tell anyone including me what you say. It’s a nice night out and no one’s around. Why don’t you two take a walk and do some talking. I’ll be here when you get back and if you need me earlier just say so.” I repeated.

That Celia didn’t want me to know whatever happened to her to cause those nightmares or the wounds associated with them was evident. I could see her shame whenever she thought that I might know. I, on the other hand, was glad that I had killed that monster called Steven so she could start healing. Since this occurred while the men cleaned up dinner, I found Emily and asked her to take care of the soldiers, I informed her that the girls would need some time alone tonight. Sensing my mood, she didn’t rib me for once, and let it be.

Emily was way more insightful into people than I was.

With my heightened vision, I watched them and the area around them to make sure that they were safe. It must have taken some coaxing but Celia did open up, since Chandra did all the talking over the first hour and the trouble young woman the next. I resisted the urge to listen in, but settled for watching. Chandra held her friend most of the time, during their discussion and both of them were crying whenever I focused on them, though Chandra looked truly pissed from her occasional glances over her shoulder at me.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.