A Life in the Service - Cover

A Life in the Service

Copyright© 2019 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 19: Saving Alliance hostages

I walked aboard the Herald and ignored the pipes and the call to attention as I continued towards fleet admiral Darren. He saluted and I returned it, “permission to come aboard.”

He smiled, “granted.”

I glanced at the men and women in formation and smiled, “dismissed.”

I gestured and he turned to walk with me, “so the emperor is sending a Fleet Admiral to the alliance council this year.”

I shrugged, “since he did not have a command for me the council wanted to use me.”

He nodded, “trying to gain favor.”

I grinned, “they could have given me an aid or a staff but I escaped before they thought about it.”

He laughed and moved to sit in a ship tram car, “So what is on the agenda this year?”

I sat and leaned back as the car started moving, “the Tro.”

He snorted, “they still complaining because we will not give them a fleet?”

I nodded, “they are trying to make it look like it was an agreement and not a hostage negotiation.”

He shook his head, “you have your work cut out for you.”

I smiled, “more than you know. I was one of the Rangers that took the hostages away from them.”

He grinned, “want to bet they demand you be disarmed and turned over to them?”

I snorted, “I carry my weapons with the emperor’s approval. More importantly the full Alliance council have authorized it as part of my uniform.”

He laughed and turned back to the front as the tram slowed. Zanax was like I remembered, only now each delegate was allowed a singe ship in system and a small contingent of soldiers. I wore my formal uniform when I walked into the large reception, this time the Swift was in plain view on my leg. I bowed to a lady or male from Grindal, the sex always depends on which season they are in. It grinned, “Author!”

I smiled, “it is good to see you again.”

“We were told you would be here this year.”

I nodded, “his majesty decided I should return since the council has requested me several times.”

A large Ursiliod patted my back as it walked up, “Lady Sika I see you are keeping this human busy.”

I smiled up at the being, “Sir Dent, I was told you had questions about the Tro agreement.”

It growled, “you humans should have given the ships to them.”

I ignored the gathering diplomats, “we do not negotiate with criminals. We accepted no agreement when they demanded ships for ransom.”

It growled as it waved, “that was just a story.”

I smiled showing my teeth, “do you call me a liar?”

It hesitated and looked around, “perhaps you do not know what really happened.”

I turned to face him fully, “I was one of the Rangers sent in to rescue the prisoners. They were kept in a open pit with Tro soldiers around it pointing weapons at them.”

He backed up and held his hands out, “I meant no offense.”

I looked around, “The Tro kidnaped diplomats and demanded ships for their release. That is not an agreement.”

I shook my head, “I will discuss this in council not at a party.”

I bowed and walked away as several others began to talk. I was up early and at Changa’s arena stretching. Several Dentian warriors looked at me strangely as I began exercising but did not interfere. After I finished I showered and dressed in my formal uniform. I walked into the conclave and slipped into my seat to review messages from other diplomats.

Most were supporting our actions but a few were urging us to give warships to the Tro. I glanced up when the conclave went quiet and everyone took a seat. The senior Alliance councilor cleared his throat, “we have a matter from the Tro delegate. They are protesting the Imperial councilor wearing a weapon.”

I stood and bowed, “if it pleases the Alliance. I carry my weapons with my emperor’s approval. More importantly the full Alliance council have authorized it as part of my uniform.”

I looked around at the faces as the translators murmured. I looked at the senior Alliance councilor and touched the Alliance Sunburst. It bowed but looked around, “The Tro have also demanded councilor England be turned over to them for war crimes.”

I smiled, “that would be when I rescued the hostages they held and killed the soldiers guarding them.”

I looked around, “If the council wishes to revoke my immunity the emperor will of course honor its request and recall me.”

I looked straight at the senior Alliance councilor, “However he did anticipate something like this. His words to this council are simple and they are not mine.”

I looked at the Tro councilor, “Fleet Admiral England has always upheld the empire’s honor as well as the honor of the Alliance. If the Alliance wishes to revoke his immunity or sanction him for his actions then My Empire will withdraw from the Alliance.”

There was a stir that rippled out as my words were translated. I sat as murmurs grew louder and finally the senior Alliance councilor hit the bell to quiet the room, “enough.”

It looked around, “his words are true. His emperor sent us a similar message.”

He looked at the Tro, “more importantly this council will not disarm its champion and hero. As for the allegation that he committed a war crime, we have all the reports and details related to the matter. Any that wish may review them but the senior council members have determined that no crime was committed.”

He glanced at his desk, “now on to new business...”

It was several hours before the council broke up for the day. I watched the Tro walk out urgently and followed to watch as a full platoon surrounded them and headed up the wide boulevard. I headed back to our embassy and changed before going to Changa’s arena. I walked to the center and waited as the Dentians stared and then a large warrior walked towards me, “this is not a game human.”

I smiled and bowed, “I am Author Geoffrey England an adopted daughterson of the Trasel clan.”

It grinned and bowed, “I am honored.”

I gestured, “I wish to dance if any are willing.”

It rushed and I spun and back stepped before grabbing a large wrist and twisting. After her was another and then several more until an alarm rang and everyone froze. I pulled the warrior on the ground up as I looked towards the speaker’s stand. It was a minute before a warrior ran out, “the councilor has sent a distress code. The reception she is attending has been taken by Tro!”

There was a roar as I started moving and leaped and grabbed the rail and swung over before looking back at the angry Dentian, “I am Trasel clan. Is there any here of a higher station!”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.