A Life in the Service - Cover

A Life in the Service

Copyright© 2019 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 17: Diplomat's solution

I glanced at Patricia as I straightened my uniform, “its been fun.”

She was leaning against the hatch, “at least they let you stay a full two years this time.”

I snorted, “after I told fleet admiral Kreager I would refuse the imperial star if they moved me?”

She grinned, “but the emperor would not let you turn down the promotion.”

I brushed the Brigadier General’s emblems I had worn since returning from Antilla, “he has a bigger stick to threaten me with.”

Sam laughed, “you never said what that was either.”

I smiled as I started for the hatch, “lets just say it involves watching his son and leave it at that.”

She grinned, “changing diapers?”

I stopped, “see you next time?”

She kissed me before slipping away, “watch your back Pendragon.”

I watched her walk away before leaving. I had my farewell dinner the night before but walked into the hanger bay to the sound of the regiment being called to attention. The shuttle took me out to a battleship that already had my things. I swam the weightless tube from the shuttle into the ship and saluted the lieutenant that was waiting, “permission to come aboard.”

He grinned, “granted.”

I headed through the hatch as he fell in beside me, “the captain asked if you would join her on the bridge.”

I glanced at him, “My adjutant and assistant?”

He gestured through the next hatch, “already aboard.”

I nodded and stopped at the ship tram, the battleship was almost as large as a carrier. When the tram stopped I stepped out and headed across to an open hatch. I walked in and a senior sergeant barked, “Attention!”

I continued towards the captain as I growled, “as you were.”

The captain grinned, “nice to see you sir.”

I shook his hand, “how much longer before we can head out?”

He turned back to the plot, “we are moving out now.”

He glanced at me, “why a full fleet of warships to escort you to a friendly?”

I grinned, “it shows the Dentians how much the emperor trusts and respects me.”

He nodded, “we have two weeks before we arrive.”

I glanced at the plot, “Is Admiral Davis in CIC?”

The captain nodded, “she said she expects you to join her for dinner. Formal uniform is mandatory.”

I shook my head, “I will break it out.”

He laughed and I turned for the hatch. The lieutenant escorted me out and down to a large set of rooms. I closed the hatch and a senior sergeant stuck her head out, “Sir?”

I grinned, “Sergeant would you be so kind as to see if my bags are around somewhere?”

She grinned, “already unpacked and your formal uniform has been cleaned and pressed.”

I headed for the desk, “I assume you know when the admiral is expecting us?”

She nodded, “you have ten hours.”

I sat behind the desk, “where is Captain McCartney?”

She looked into the other room, “trying not to pound on her comp.”

I grinned, “Ginger!”

Ginger had gone through a few brush fires and been given a field promotion. Not even a year later she was promoted and then promoted again just a month ago. I pulled up my mission brief as the newly promoted Junior Captain Ginger McCartney walked out, “why the hell did you ask for me?”

I started reading and smiled, “because one or more of the Dentian females will wish to flex their muscle. You and I have spared many times and are more than capable of holding your own or beating them.”

I looked at her, “and more importantly if I do it I will have to hurt them severally or kill them.”

She sighed and sat on the edge of my desk, “so why ask the emperor for an envoy?”

I sat back, “because for only the third time in their history they are expanding. One of the planets we have started to settle has less than a thousand people. They wish to purchase the planet.”

Ginger looked at senior sergeant Elizabeth Ambrosia, “the Emperor would have nobles up in arms if he sold a planet.”

I grinned, “true but there are a few things they do not know.”

I looked at the sergeant, “would you bring in some coffee and make sure you have a cup too.”

It was a couple of minutes before I sipped and looked at Ginger and the sergeant, “Senta system is not listed under the imperial charter yet which means it belongs to the emperor and not the empire.”

I sat back, “in other words he can sell it without the nobles screaming.”

I sighed, “the problem is doing it in such a way that it does not look like we are selling it.”

Ginger frowned, “I do not understand.”

I smiled, “Dentians are and have always been our ally but they are extremely militant in their views. The queen can not be seen as weak by simply purchasing the planet.”

They shook their heads and I sat up, “this is not going to be easy. The emperor has already authorized me to proceed with the purchase. WE just need to find the right currency the Dentians will pay.”

I smiled, “I have put together an initial brief I want you both to read. Tomorrow at nine we will sit down and go over everything before we try to find something they can use that will not insult them.”

I gestured, “go read the brief.”

I turned to review the ceremony I would have to endure when I reached Denta. I think the admiral enjoyed the way her officers reacted to me in formal uniform because she did it almost every evening. Fleet Admiral Cearlock was more tolerant and let me wear utilities. The shuttle down was empty except for me, Ginger and senior sergeant Ambrosia and our bags.

I let the senior sergeant take care of the bags as we walked off and found a small party of Dentians waiting. I ignored all but one as I recognized her by the thick human style collar necklace. I walked to her and grinned as I ignored bows to hug her, “I have missed you greatly momma.”

She embraced me and squeezed before pushing me back, “you still look thin daughterson.”

I looked at the others before looking at her, “excuse me?”

She nodded and I turned, “well met warriors.”

One snorted and another sneered, “frail human customs?”

Momma Trasel growled as I held out hand to stop Ginger from challenging, “I believe it is customary for a pupil to greet his mentor and teacher before any other. Have the Dentian warriors lost their respect for their mentors?”

The females eyes narrowed, “you dare...”

An older female slapped her hard enough to rock her back, “quiet! You have caused enough disrespect.”

The older warrior bowed, “great warrior we acknowledge your wish to respect your teacher.”

She smiled with her teeth showing, “on behalf of our queen we greet you and your companions.”

I bowed, “have you arranged a contest?”

She laughed as the others shifted, “Your teacher has brought one of her elder daughters.”

I smiled and glanced at Ginger, “I hope you are ready Ginger. My clan sister will be very good.”

She grinned as she looked at momma Trasel, “I am always ready for a good fight.”

Momma grinned and turned to gesture. Ginger was wearing a utility uniform and moved past me and then around Momma Trasel as I followed. The bare marked off area had warriors around the edge with space for the Dentians with me. Ginger walked to the center and stretched before looking around. The large Dentian female that walked in almost looked like her mother.

She grinned at me before bowing to Ginger. A second later she leaped and the fight began. Ginger turned and slid back as she caught a wrist and twisted before snapping a kick. Momma Trasel growled, “she is a fast one.”

I grinned as I looked at her, “we have fought many battles.”

She grinned as my clan sister attacked again, “she has fought you?”

I nodded, “many, many times.”

It was ten minutes before Ginger and my clan sister stepped back from each other as they grinned. The old warrior stepped into the challenge area, “your emperor has truly sent a worthy warrior.”

The warrior that had made the comment about frail human customs growled, “let the male fight.”

The warriors looked at her and the old ones growled. I sighed and began to remove my dress coat, “face me if you dare warrior.”

I walked towards Ginger and handed her my coat and then the weapon belt with my Swift and knife, “hold this?”

She hesitated before nodding and accepting it. As she walked to the side the warrior strode towards me, “Now you will face a real warrior.”

I smiled, “I have faced those better than you a thousand times.”

She lunged with her hands and claws reaching for me. I slid straight back as I caught a hand and twisted it out and back. I turned as she twisted with her wrist and fell. I snapped a kick that cracked ribs before switching hands and twisting the wrist I held the other way. She screamed and was jerked back while trying to kick out. I shifted and moved as I yanked on her wrist and snapped another hard kick down to break a knee.

I let her go and stepped back, “you are slow. Your teacher should have beaten you more.”

I turned to walk towards Ginger as the warrior continued to struggle on the ground. I nodded to the older warrior and she actually grinned, “well done warrior.”

I replaced my weapon belt and then my coat as Momma Trasel slapped my shoulder, “you have gotten better.”

I grinned, “if you have time I would enjoy practicing with you.”

She nodded, “come to the clan arena.”

I was led to a vehicle and we were taken to a huge dinner where most of the food was meat and raw. The drink was strong which is why Ginger and I drank water. After dinner we were able to retire and found the senior sergeant waiting outside in a diplomat’s vehicle. She grinned, “the ambassador is waiting.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.