The Bootlegger - Cover

The Bootlegger

Copyright© 2019 by MysteryWriter

Chapter 29

I looked up as the younger man approached. “I can’t believe I paid almost two grand to freeze my ass off.” he said raising his voice to be heard over the angry ocean.

“It’s summertime for gods sake,” I replied.

“Ty, anytime there is ice floating in the water, it is not summer,” he said.

“Granted, we are north of the official arctic,” I agreed. “The occupants of this ship are the heartiest of the cruise customers.”

“So what? These are the ones who jog around the decks,” he asked.

“Well there is this cool blond who jogs in the morning. You wouldn’t know about her. You and the new wife are still doing the dirty at 6AM.” I suggested.

“No, we are still sleeping, you should try it,” Mike suggested.

“You mean that thing where you close your eyes and shut down for long periods of time?” I asked.

“That’s it. It keeps you from going insane,” Mike said.

“That’s an old wives tale. Oh yes you would believe in that farce, since you have to listen to your old wife,” I said.

“I will be happy to get back to the world and work in the dirt again,” Michael said.

“I think we will be working in someone else’s dirt,” I admitted. “From all reports the Medical Marijuana farms are going great guns.”

“What happened to selling a couple of bucks cheaper and still make the same money,” Mike asked.

“Well, at what point do we just close up and hand it over to the straight Johns of this business?” I asked.

“Do you have stock in one of the growers?” he asked.

“I looked both directions before I answered. Our shell company in the Caribbean has a new motto,” I informed him.

“Well spill it,” he said.

“This is actually sung by a sexy chick, but here goes. ‘No stems, no seed that you don’t need, Carolina Gold’s a bad ass weed’.” I sang in my not so sexy voice.

Mike laughed. “How much did you buy?”

“Shit I have no idea. I just invested some of our pocket change,” I admitted.

Mike stared out at the floating Ice around us for a few minutes, then said, “It is just a little too peaceful here. With a little luck we will get home without any loss of life.”

“And how will you celebrate this monumental event,” I asked.

“June’s big plan is that we look for a house for the next several months, Mike said.

“I’ll leave the camper hooked up, since you might need it at any time,” I said with a grin. “After all she is related to Lucy.”

“She isn’t a thing like Lucy,” Michael said.

“Of course not,” I agreed with a smile.

I had enough of trying to keep other people in line. I couldn’t force Mike to cover his tracks anymore than I could force a leopard to change his spots. I had decided to move away and give it all to the two of them. All but Grandpa Harold’s shack. The farm was under a twenty year least to Michael all he had to do was sign the agreement. If he didn’t the land would lay fallow. There was a blind trust that paid the taxes. So in theory the thing would run in perpetuity all on it’s own.

The ship was headed to Iceland. From there a flight to JFK airport for a connecting flight home. What Michael and June didn’t know was that I was flying out for Taos New Mexico. I had decided that it was time for a new start. My new start was most likely going to be in Angle Fire New Mexico.

Why there you ask? I just liked the name, and the size suited me. I was pretty sure I could find something to keep me out of trouble.

I send a text message to Mike and June.

‘I decided to give you two some space. If you want it you can use the farm. The lawyer has the papers. You just need to stop by and sign. Good luck you two, this phone is going dark now. Don’t look for me please, I need my space for a while.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.