The Bootlegger
Chapter 19

Copyright© 2019 by MysteryWriter

North Wilksboro was over twice the size of Sparta, but even so there were too few people to have a state of the art hospital. They were raising money to buy new piece of equipment. When the ‘Doc in the Box’ in Sparta ordered a test, I usually had to drive to Winston Salem to what used to be the Baptist Hospital aligned with Wake Forest University. It would save patients a couple of hours, if the hospital had their own machine, whatever the hell it was.

I had dinner, which was pretty good for something catered by a professional caterer. Then I listened to the speeches until they came to Sarah. I listened to a five minute description of all the good work she did for the hospital. We all gladly applauded her achievements. I did note that they didn’t mention that she slung dope on the side. When they passed the hat, literally it was a man’s top hat, I slipped two one hundred dollar bills into the hat. I had taken the bills from one of the last of the small stashes I had left. It didn’t matter because the bank accounts were still healthy. Yes I realized that it was a pun.

After dinner I drove Sarah home to her nice comfortable house in the semi country. It had been easier to find it in twilight, but that was long gone by the time the fund raiser ended. Sarah hadn’t spoken during the drive home. We were sitting in my truck when she finally spoke.

“It was nice of you to make that donation, but you didn’t have to do that,” she said.

“Who knows when I’ll need to use that thing,” I said with a smile.

“Would you like to come in,” she asked.

“That isn’t necessary,” I said. “I’m no longer connected to the people I was before.”

“Yes I know Trina told me. This isn’t about that. I just hate being alone these days.” she said.

.

“I know the feeling, but I’ll be gone in the morning. Then we will both be alone again. I’m trying to do he right thing here,” I reported.

“Then come in and we will worry about the morning, in the morning,” she almost demanded.

She wasn’t as passionate as she had been after the live porno show at her friend Trina’s house. The sex was warm and friendly, which I know is not a common description of sex. Even though she wasn’t as passionate, she was more herself. I felt like I really reached her. Of course it proved to be an illusion. We went to breakfast before I left town. She was again acting cool and distant. She would need a shrink and lots of drugs to ever act normal, I thought. Then again, who was I to judge normal. I had the wrong ruler to use as a tool for that.

When I got home on black Friday, the day after thanksgiving, I saw the Rio parked in front of the office. June was entertaining Lucy until I got home. I could have been earlier, if I had checked my phone. Since I often forgot to charge it, the phone had died, so I had no idea Lucy was waiting for me.

“You can go June,” I said to her before I even greeted Lucy. I waited until she had left the office before I said. “So what is it this time.”

“I’m going to load everything in the Dodge and Ruth is going to drive it home. Do you want to come to the Holler after it?” she asked.

“No it’s yours,” I said. “I gave it to you.”

“I have a message for you. Amos said to tell you not to grow anything,” she said.

“Okay you delivered it. I have no idea what that means, but tell him you delivered it.” I instructed her.

“I’m sorry it ends this way,” she admitted.

“The important thing to process is that it’s over,” I said. “No matter what caused the split, it’s history now.” I was fighting against the urge to tell her to go fuck herself.

“I will buy you out of the lease, so I never have to see you again,” I suggested. “But only if you come up with a reasonable price.” If she were smart she would recognize it for what it was. A way to keep my options open.

“How much you offering?” she asked.

“$50k but you are going to need to have a bank account where I can transfer it. I’ll have my lawyer send you an agreement that you forfeit all claims on the property or improvement to it. You will also agree that you no longer have a lease on the property. Also that you realize if you show up on the property, you will be arrested for trespass,” I hoped that it helped to keep her illusion that Jarrett’s body was still buried on the property. In fact all I wanted was to put all the crap behind me.

I had been out of the crap for a full year, and I wanted to stay out of it. I did plan to move into grandpa Harold’s shack when the women were gone. I could go back to using the chicken house/barn for my lawn equipment when I moved. If June decided to stay on as manager of the motel, I planned to change the name of the business. We no longer rented rooms by the day or week. Everything was a long term leases by that time. We even had a waiting list for the downstairs units. The upstairs units were in a less demand.

I did one thing which made the second floor a little more user friendly. I had Tony come over and design a new staircase made from pressure treated lumber. He made the steps a little wider and a little closer together. That one inch difference in the step’s height and width made a huge difference I was told by the people who used them. The people who rented the upstairs apartments were usually younger, and on a short term lease. They usually wanted a safer and quieter place to live than those who went into ordinary apartments. Usually those were government subsidized, and they had to take all kinds of trash. June and I didn’t have to take just anyone since I didn’t take any government money at all.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.