The Walk of Life - Cover

The Walk of Life

Copyright© 2019 by Arquillius

Chapter 8 - Do Not Know Yourself. I Want to Continue to Surprise Me

December 15th 1996

To say I slept well, would be an understatement. In fact, I hadn’t slept that well since Annie passed. I was awoken by Chloe, who had to shake me awake.

“Josh, wake up.” Chloe said as I opened my eyes.

“I’m up.” I groaned.

“Time to start the second day of your new life.” My sister cooed at me.

Flashing thru my mind was everything that happened yesterday as I sat up. She was right. I was on my second day. We were going shopping.

“We got any coffee?” I asked.

“You drink coffee?” She asked, surprised by this revelation.

“Yeah.” I said as she turned and walked to the kitchen.

I got out of bed and grabbed my bag, fishing for a pair of pants, and a t-shirt, the last of my clean clothing. I found it and pulled it on as she returned with a cup of coffee for me. After getting dressed, she handed me the cup.

“Sorry, I don’t know how you take it.” She said as I looked down at it.

“Single spoon of sugar, two spoons of powdered creamer.” I said as I took a sip.

The coffee was sweeter than I liked but otherwise fine.

“I’ll remember that.” She said as I took another sip.

She held up the keys and a few twenties.

“I got Mom to agree to pay for new clothing for you, especially if it’s on the cheap like you plan.” Chloe said with a smile.

Getting her on my side was a better plan than I expected.

“Thanks.” I said, returning her smile.

With our coffees in hand, we headed out. We got in the car and drove off. We ended up driving around a bit until we found a second hand store. With Chloe’s help I found 3 pairs of suit pants that would fit me, even down the road. It surprised her that I knew my sizes, and what sizes I’d be. I also found a couple suit shirts, and a pair of windbreaker pants that were blue. I found some orange shorts, and shirts.

“Orange?” She asked.

“My favorite color.” I laughed.

“Really? I thought your favorite color was green.” Chloe said.

“When I grew up, I found orange better suited me. I look good in it, and I like it.” I pointed out.

“You must love it when Halloween comes around.” Chloe laughed.

“Oh yeah. I ended up getting so many hoodies around then in my first life.” I explained.

“Hoodies?” She asked.

“Hooded sweatshirts.” I said. “The term started being a thing around the year two thousand.” I said.

“What’s that like? Living in the future?” Chloe asked.

“Like today, but with more technology. Internet is common to everyone. It’s a lot bigger than it is right now. You could look up anything and find it.” I explained. “It was kind of nice.”

“So? That it? I mean, no flying cars? No hover boards?” She asked.

I laughed.

“What’s so funny?” She asked.

“I know there were a few experimental flying cars, but they were cars with wings. As for hover boards, not like the ones in Back to the Future, where it’s skateboards with wheels, but there were things called hover boards. They were Segways without the stick.” I said.

“What ways?” She asked.

“Oh I guess those aren’t invented yet. Okay, think of just two wheels with a motor. There’s a stick coming up from the platform they’re attached to that which has handle bars on it. The handlebars control the speed you move. That’s a Segway.” I explained.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.