The Walk of Life - Cover

The Walk of Life

Copyright© 2019 by Arquillius

Chapter 7 - That Last Page Turned Is a Perfect Excuse to Write a Whole New Book

Because of popular demand ... okay, maybe not popular demand, but a demand, even if it’s one person ... okay, it wasn’t a demand, it was a question, and I just went with it, but regardless The story is now free for all to read for the time being. This may be changed later, but I figured what the hell, right?

Chloe stood up, and had a sour expression on her face. I stood up and got face to face with her. I knew that expression. She was ready to go off on our Mother.

“I know what you’re thinking. Calm down.” I whispered.

“But she tried to kill you.” Chloe whispered.

Though I was relieved that she believed me and it only took me going back in time for it to happen, I didn’t want Mother to know my hand just yet.

“Relax. For now, I want to play this cool. Are you all right with that?” I asked.

“So what’ve you two been up to?” Mother asked.

I spun around with a smile on my face.

“Oh, well after you left, we came inside and I’ve been practicing my massage techniques. A friend told me that working hard on a woman’s feet will expend my energy, and Chloe has been happy enough to be my volunteer.” I said.

“Oh? Maybe I should talk you into doing mine.” Mother said.

I grimaced. I hated the thought of attending to her, none the less trying to show her any kind of attention.

“Sorry.” I said in a sweet tone. “Chloe claimed first dibs each night and my hands get sore after the first one.” I said.

I wasn’t lying. My hands always get sore after rubbing Annie. But I was years away from that. At this point in time, Annie would be only 9 years old. So it would be 9 more years before I could see her again, with Guri’s rules.

“Mom, I’ve been thinking as Josh and I were talking,” Chloe started, “I think you should give him new birthday money. It wasn’t fair that you pulled that dinner out of his birthday money, without him agreeing to it in the first place, you should also let him cook around the house. He doesn’t have to cook all the time, but I’m sure you’d agree that taking some of the load off us would be a great help. Especially since he knows how to make more than just pasta.” Chloe said.

With just that one bit of talking, I had new respect for my older sister.

“You’re right.” Mother said. “It would be nice to have nights off from cooking, and After he proved that he can do so much with so little, it’s only right that I give him more birthday money.”

“Yeah, he’s just trying to step up and take more responsibility.” Chloe said. “We can’t punish him for that.”

“You’re absolutely right.” Mother said.

“Do we have long distance calling here?” I asked.

“Yes, why?” Mother said.

“Chloe,” I said turning towards my older sister. “You can call and chat with your boyfriend.”

I could tell that just mentioning him aggravated her. She was angry, but wanted to catch him at it.

“Like I’d want to!” She huffed.

“What? I thought you liked Greg?” Mother asked.

“When we were talking, I figured out that he might be cheating on me.” Chloe said.

“You know, with long distance, you could always call back home and get a friend to confirm.” I pointed out.

“Yeah, I’ll do that.” Chloe said as Mother walked to the table and set down her purse.

She fished out 20 bucks and offered it to me. I took it as the other girls dispersed for bed. Mother looked up at me.

“You seem different, Joshua. More mature. You know how to clean, cook and you’re talking things thru rationally with your sisters? What made this change?” Mother asked.

“Just growing up.” I said.

Mother nodded and headed to her room. The pleasant look on my face vanished.

“You really hate her, don’t you?” Chloe said.

I turned to look at Chloe and let myself smile.

“Of course not.” I muttered.

I walked over to her as she picked up the phone and began dialing.

“Hate” I whispered with a pause, “Is too weak of a word.” I whispered to her before walking away to the bathroom.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.