The Walk of Life
Prologue - Nothing can Happen more Beautiful than Death

Copyright© 2019 by Arquillius

December 25th, 2018

My name is Joshua. Joshua Anderson. I’m 36 as of December and I live alone, in my house. Widowed ... or rather I was. This is my story and how it all changed for me. It was a cold night, colder than usual for Las Vegas Nevada. My wife had died because of a car accident. Her father shouldn’t have been out driving. He had been blind in one eye from a detached retina. It was cold. It had been snowing that night too. I had noticed it as I kissed my wife goodbye that one last time before she got in the car to go last minute Christmas shopping for me and one of her friends. Now as I sat there, in a dark house on Christmas night, I cried. My cats and my dogs slept around the house as I sat in my dining room crying. I had lost the love of my life, my soul mate, and I would never find her again. I had to get up though, get out. I hated going out. But I hadn’t eaten in days. POPS was around the corner. A hot sandwich would help, right? I grabbed my coat. The big puffy one with the huge zipper. I had made many jokes about it. Even to her. ‘All the ladies love my HUGE zipper.’ I had laughed. I had a good time with her. When I was down, she gave me a new life. But now, what would I do? I grabbed my cane and grabbed my keys. I walked out of the house, locking the door behind me. I walked down the snowy street. Well, the sky was snowy, it was melting before it hit the ground. I walked the mile to POPS and got ready to cross the street. The light changed in my favor and BAM!

A car had hit me, and like Yusuke Urameshi, I was now hovering over my body trying to figure out what the fuck just happened. Yeah, I was a nerd. My wife and I loved that about each other. So floated there after the car sped off, not even bothering to stop. People were recording, some just stood in awe. And I floated there.

“You rat bastard! Come back so I can shove my cane up your ass!” I yelled at the car as it sped off, never to be seen again.

I looked down at my body. I stared at it for a moment.

“Huh ... my body is...” I said looking down at it. “HOLY FUCK! MY BODY IS DOWN THERE!” I yelled as a siren could be heard in the distance.

A passerby, a homeless man pulled my body from the street back onto the sidewalk, next to my discarded and broken cane and cried over me!

“No! GOD! Don’t take this child!” He cried.

He was old, unkempt, and he cried for me as the ambulance drove up. The blood from my head stained his shirt. Had I done something nice for him at one point? Given him a cigarette? Or a couple bucks? My memory was shitty ... too shitty to remember.

“Poor guy,” I said. “Crying over someone he doesn’t even know. And he is the only one who cares I died.” I mumbled. “Wish I could do something for him.”

He allowed the paramedics to get me onto a gurney and take me away. My body would be cremated, and given to my mother in law as she was the closest of my family.

“Oh no. She’s gonna be all alone now.” I muttered.

The guy stood up and walked over and just stood next to my floating form.

“It’s disheartening that no one here cares about you.” The man said looking at me. “Look at them, they went back to their business as soon as the medics arrived. No one offering information, no one offering a hand.”

“Yeah, well, this is our world. Dictator as President. Shitty people not offering what they can ... Life.” I said. “Well, in my case now, death,” I said with half a chuckle.

“You don’t seem phased that I’m talking to you.” He said.

“Nah, my youngest sister could do that. Talk to spirits, I mean. At least she said she did. I used to spook my wife when I would know what she wanted and bring it to her without a word ... You know, get her a drink here, or a snack there.” I said. “Lots of weird stories of people being able to jump high, fly, levitate, and the list goes on.”

“Oh, right ... I should’ve known that.” The man said. “In this modern age of technology, not much is kept secret anymore.”

“You should’ve? Let me guess ... you’re God.” I said.

“Wow that came fast. I guess you could call me a god ... I’m more of a higher being ... one that’s been watching humans as they grow and evolve.” He explained.

“So you’re a Q,” I said.

“That de Lanci guy from Star Trek? No, I’m not that ... well, I’m not that irresponsible.” The man said. “But yeah, basically that is the being you could consider me.” He said. “The name is Guri.”

“Nice to meet you,” I said.

“And the same to you.” He said with a smile.

“So, the reason I showed up was that you are special. Not everyone meets their soul mate, and not everyone makes it through the life you had unscathed.” He pointed out.

“Define: Unscathed.” I laughed.

“Good point. Anywho, my people, the B’Voida have offered you the chance of a lifetime.” Guri said.

“But I’m dead.” I laughed.

“Okay, the chance of a death-time ... happy?” He laughed.

“What’s the offer and what are the strings?” I asked.

“You can go back to when you were younger. You keep all the memories you had until this point. You relive your life in the way you want. And you see how it turns out when you reach this point in time again. I’ll come to visit you again. You then decide if the second chance was worth it.” Guri said.

“Consequences? Strings?” I asked.

“No Consequences. No strings. It’s all you. There is a couple of things for you to remember though. You will know of events you cannot change in history. They are NOT yours to change.” He explained.

“You mean big things like bombings?” I asked.

“Exactly.” He said. “There are small things you can change and are welcome to do so, but be mindful.” He stated.

“But why are you doing this?” I asked. “Can’t you ... I don’t know ... change things as they are?” I asked.

“Humans are ever evolving. That’s what my race is investigating. During this task, you’ll have memories of our talk here, and your previous life. I want to see what you do with your life since you may understand things more than you may think.” He said.

“Okay, I guess,” I said.

“Good, then let’s get you going,” Guri said.

He reached out behind me and slapped me on the back and I felt it...

Chapter 1 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.