For Blood or Money - Cover

For Blood or Money

Copyright© 2019 by Wayzgoose

Chapter 15: Dead or Dying

TWO YEARS IN THE NAVY and the best I could guarantee was that I could survive in a swimming pool if I had a life jacket. I was floating up through the murk and mud. I couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t cold. My lungs weren’t hurting particularly. I knew what had happened. I was dead. The murk was just the mess I’d made of my life. Maybe I would have eternity to clear it up. For some reason I remembered just when I’d lost Hope.

My mid-life crisis hit the day I realized thirty-three was half-way through my life expectancy. Of course, technically, having already survived Viet Nam, I should have had a much longer life expectancy than the sixty-six that was estimated in 1982, but apparently I had seriously over-estimated.

At thirty-three, I’d just been promoted to full partner and celebrated by buying a brand new bright yellow Mustang convertible. I moved to a new apartment in a trendy part of town where I could hold huge parties for young, equally trendy people. There was just one thing missing in my life, and I went hunting for a beautiful, young, and trendy girlfriend. Hope springs eternal.

Hope was her name.

We met at the top of Mt. Si on a Saturday afternoon, looking across the lowlands toward Puget Sound. We hiked back down the mountain together and shared a drink at a cozy North Bend watering hole. Much to my surprise and delight, we spent the night in my trendy, downtown apartment. Smart, funny, and beautiful, Hope was twelve years my junior; but we made each other happy and, clearly, that is what mattered. Within two months, Hope had moved in with me and I couldn’t have been more pleased.

Having eye-candy on my arm at company gatherings added to my status among my male coworkers. For her part, Hope liked the gatherings because she was drawn to power like a magnet. Power that comes from money, position, and oh, yes, did I mention money? Hope liked people who were powerful, they got her into doors and then she left them behind. She loved power. Did I mention that? Power that you get from wealth and position.

Power like my boss’s.

Damn.

It was a big hairy falling out. She said I never understood her. I’d always held her back. I was just plain mean.

Don’t turn me into a martyr. For my part I told her she was an incompetent gold-digger and a slut. Besides which, I’d been sleeping with a college girl who was in a class I taught and didn’t really care what she did.

Except that she backed a truck up to the apartment while I was working one day, emptied it of everything but my one painting and my recliner, and drove away.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.