For Blood or Money
Chapter 11: Partners in Crime

Copyright© 2019 by Wayzgoose

I FELL ASLEEP ON THE SOFA in the office around midnight and Riley mercifully threw a blanket over me and left. I don’t know when.

I used to be able to pull all-nighters without even blinking an eye. A few cups of coffee and I’d be stoked for the night. That’s probably the problem. I’m not drinking coffee beyond my morning espresso and if Doc Roberts knew I was doing that he’d have a hissy-fit. I’m going to have to quit.

I know it.

But at 6:00 this morning when I woke up in the office, all I wanted was a cup of coffee.

Riley left me a note and said she’d stop by my house to pick up clean clothes and Maizie this morning.

Damn.

I let her help me patch up my head, and now she thinks she can just go pick things up for me and make my life pleasant. She’s a sweetheart. I figured I had a good couple of hours before she would grace my presence, though, so I slowly made my way up through the Market to the Eye of Dawn. I went in and ordered a strong Americano and a sweet roll. I sat to enjoy the cup and greet the daybreak.

Eye of Dawn doesn’t make quite as perfect a cup of coffee as Tavoni’s, but I wasn’t about to walk all the way up to Belltown to get perfection. Eye of Dawn looks into the market on one side and out onto the Sound on the other. I could see the ferries all lit up, making their first journeys across the Sound. Out in the middle, there was a huge container ship wallowing deeply, surrounded by four tugs pulling her into the terminal. I was reminded that BKL was expecting a container or some number of them, either in Seattle or in San Francisco. What was the fee warehouse and what was Bradley expecting? Something had gone wrong on a previous shipment.

We don’t hear that much about what comes in and out of the Port of Seattle. Container ships arrive every day, many from China and Japan. This one said Hoisan on the side clearly. It’s funny how I can read the letters on a ship a mile away, but I need reading glasses to see my computer screen clearly.

This ship was probably headed for Terminal 18 where they installed the new heavy duty cranes a couple of years ago. What was it that had happened?

When it hit me I spit coffee out through my nose and nearly choked to death. Two police officers who were eating donuts and coffee nearby jumped to my assistance.

“You okay, old fella?” one of them said to me.

“I’m fine,” I said shortly, still coughing a bit. So much for that shirt.

“Maybe we should get you a cab home. It looks like you had a rough night.” One of them shone a flashlight in my eyes. Damn! It was broad daylight. Then I realized what they were thinking.

“Officers,” I said as politely as I could. “May I reach for my wallet?” One of them moved behind me as the other faced me and nodded. I could feel that a hand was near a sidearm. I pulled out my wallet and handed my PI card to the officer. “It was a long night,” I said, “but I’m not drunk, I don’t need a cab, and my office is just a couple of blocks from here. I just inhaled my coffee.” The officer smiled and relaxed.

“You look pretty rough, pal,” he said. “Can’t be too careful these days. You okay?”

“Yeah,” I answered. It doesn’t pay to escalate these things. I work well with the cops and I intend to keep it that way. “I understand. Say, do you guys know anything about ships?” I asked.

“Not much,” said the officer on my right. “They come in full, they leave full. Somewhere in between a bunch of guys down on the docks and a bunch of drivers of big rigs have a lot of work to do.”

“That’s about what I know,” I said. “I was just wondering where that big container ship was coming from and what it had on it.”

“The Hoisan?” commented the barista, who had been watching our interchange with interest. “That comes in out of Hong Kong. We see her about every three months. Brings in all sorts of Asian mish mash and takes out mostly grain, beef, and agricultural products. I used to work down at the docks till I killed my back,” he finished.

“Thanks,” I said. “And thanks for coming to my rescue,” I told the officers. “I need to get back to the office. I’m not done with my night yet, I’m afraid.”

They wished me good luck and to take care ‘old man’ and I left. I hustled as fast as I could through the market and got back to the office while the ship was still hanging out in the harbor waiting for docking clearance. I dialed Jordan’s phone number. He was still asleep but came awake fast when he heard my voice.

“You wanted a possible connection of a major Seattle holding company to some kind of illegal traffic that would bring them a lot of money,” I said. “I think I’ve got something.”

“Knew I could depend on you Dag. What’s up?”

“There’s a ship docking this morning that has something on it. I think we might have a lead on who it’s registered to.”

“What are the contents?” he asked.

“You remember a couple years ago when a bunch of illegal immigrants were stowed in a container—some of them were dead?” I could hear Jordan suck air into his lungs.

“You can’t mean someone’s trying it again,” he said. “Who’s the container addressed to?”

“I think I’ve got the information here. Riley was compiling a list of names last night. Let me see if she found it.” I went to her desk and searched through the papers she’d left on top. Bad form. I was going to have to talk to her about that. But fortunately for me, the paper I wanted was right on top. She must have found it after I fell asleep. A name was circled in red with the initials FEE written beside it. “Far East Exchange.”

“It’s a fake,” Jordan said, decisively.

“My guess is, an empty warehouse that was leased and may not even exist anymore. These guys don’t need an office.”

“When’s this ship coming in?”

“It hasn’t reached the docks yet,” I said. “I can see it out in the Sound.”

“I’m on it. Thanks for the tip, Dag,” he said. “It could be our break.” He was off the phone and I could picture him rallying troops and tying down the terminal. There would be some unhappy people out there this morning, but in the long-run, it was probably not enough to bring down a huge conglomerate like BKL. I’d bet that they were pretty well insulated from everything but the cash.

I’d just hung up the phone when Riley walked into the office and Maizie came bolting to jump up on my lap.

“What kind of dog is this?” I asked looking her over. She had blue and yellow ribbons tied to her collar and she proudly waved a pink bow from the tip of her tail.

“That’s a champion dog,” Riley said laughing. “Mrs. Prior said Maizie wanted to wear her ribbons to the office to show Dag. She won the costume contest at the doggie day camp yesterday.”

“Do I want to know what she wore?”

“She was a ballerina,” Riley giggled as she watched me scowl at Maizie.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.