Erica Olafson, Adventures of the Tigershark (Vol 7) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Adventures of the Tigershark (Vol 7)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 19: Ghosts

“Circuit, are you there?”

“Yes, Captain but there are green vapor things in Engineering.These things affecting the injector spear blades of both Chandelier diverters. We can’t tap TransDim energies right now and I switched to secondary power.”

“Can we still lift off?”

“Not at the moment Captain. Most of my engineering crew is acting weird and two have pulled the auxiliary reactor down into maintenance cycle.

I need to contain them and get the reactors back up. We are on battery power now!”

“SHIP here. Intruder Alerts issued at Translocator stations. Intruder Alert on the Bridge. Crew members are affected in some way and do not respond to orders!”

“Activate all Intruder containment systems and flood all decks with Paralysator Rays.”

Har-Hi collapsed next to me.

“SHIP lift off into space with ArtiGrav. Even if it costs all energy.Alpha Order.”

Through the Airlock viewport of the I.S.T shaft I was still in I saw us gain altitude and a huge mass of green ghosts remaining behind.

“Who is still with me. Headcount now.”

SHIP responded. “Narth, Circuit, TheOther, Xon, Dusty, me and Suit. Everyone else is stunned, Captain.”

Xon contacted me seconds later.”We made it into space, Captain.”

I activated the I.S.T. manually and went to the Auxiliary Bridge. The small secondary bridge was designed to guide the ship if the main bridge was destroyed or otherwise unusable.

“SHIP transfer all Bridge functions here.”

Narth appeared out of thin air and said. “The Ghosts use massive internal Psionic suggestive attacks on the crew. Suggesting them to activate the TransDim engines while on the Planet.”

“That would destroy the ship and half that world,” I said.

“I thought we were psionically shielded?” Said TheOther as he arrived on the bridge.

Narth responded. “Only from the outside. Those ghosts use their powers slipping inside the bodies and thus gain control. They can’t affect anything material themselves, they need others to do it for them.” “How many Ghosts are on board?”

SHIP responded.” Unable to determine. As they do not register on my sensors other than visual.”

Suit said.”I am sorry for the delay but I had to reconfigure my sensors substantially to detect anything.”

“Go ahead.”

“These beings appear to exist on two planes of existence at once. Most of their essence is in another dimension, but a part is here. I believe I can establish communication via TransDim. It is how they communicate with each other.”

“Alright. See if you can, I need to talk to them.”

Suddenly a dozen green shapes appeared on the Auxiliary bridge coming through walls and the floor and approached me fast. Instinctively I backed up, but they were faster. It was not fear but anger that made me yell.”Back off!”

The approaching green vapors dispersed like cigar smoke. I was glad Suit did something to keep me free of those things. I was planning to thank it later.

A few heartbeats later the Seenian suit said. “They should be able to hear you. I added the data of the projections translation data.”

“I am Captain Olafson and you are violating and attacking us. I will find a way to destroy you if you do not cease all hostile activities at once.”

“They can communicate with us.” A multi-voice chorus responded at once.” We are heard.”

“You better believe it. I assume you are the Antoo. I will not repeat my warning. Cease hostilities now.”

“There is no greater service you could render us by destroying us. Some of us have already gone to blissful nothingness because of you. This is no threat but a reward and incentive to increase our efforts.”

But then there was a single voice. “It will still doom the ones on our planet to remain in their state. These strangers have knowledge and technology of the Upward way and we should cooperate and plead for mercy.”

The Chorus spoke.” This is true. You always have been the voice of warning and we did not listen, we will listen to you now and do as you suggest. Speak with them and let them help us.”

The single voice now addressed me.” You, Stranger Olafson. I am Ohtbeer and yes we are the Antoo. We made a terrible mistake. Please do not leave this world and let us suffer.

Let me tell you about our fate and if you then have it within you to help we will be most grateful. If not we will let you go unharmed and return to our world to wait for another eternity.”

“Alright, I am listening. But be assured I rather blow this ship into bits and deny you any access to anything that way before I let you force anything on us.”

“Our desperation knows no limits and was the cause for our actions. We were unable to communicate directly with any one of your plane of existence. Now that you found a way to communicate our hopes are high you might find a way to end our suffering.”

“I suggest you start talking. We have limited time as my ship needs its crew and energy.”

“As you know our name and communicate in our language we are certain you found our message we left behind and know some of our history. We were an old and inward-looking species. We abandoned space exploration long before the Seenian Queen fought her own son.

Our scientists believed they found a way to escape all violence and all corporeal needs of this plane by opening a gate into the Upward Plane and transfer our very essence into a new dimension.

A benevolent and wise traveler told us about the mystical Narth who managed to do so. It became an obsession of ours because there we would be free and develop into a new society unbound by death and all the limitations of this plane.

Narth listening in shook his head and spoke quietly in my mind.”What foolishness blinded a whole society. The needs change, they are not eliminated and death is present in all spheres of the Omniverse.”

The voice originating apparently originating from a pale green vapor hovering by the access door.

The Seenians were defeated by their own hand little remained of a once proud and powerful star empire. The remaining survivors went many ways. Some gathered in ships to leave this galaxy, others tried to cling on pieces of the old empire and revive it to past glories under various beings claiming leadership rights.”

“You are members of the Celtest alliance?” I asked.

“No, we refused to join. We are non-violent and we did not want to choose a side, but we knew the Seenians for a long time.”

“Your society had contact with them, so I gather.”

“Yes, Olafson and when the son of the last queen, Imperius Morgal the Cruel got hold of a cosmic weapon he slew his own mother and destroyed what was Seenian. The weapon twisted his mind and he destroyed much of his own followers, planets and military might before whatever found consumed him.”

“How do the Antoo ghosts fit in all of this?”

“As I told you, a group of surviving Seenians decided to leave this Galaxy. Before they left, however, they placed a considerable stash of Seenian tech and scientific knowledge in a Cache and gave it to us. Among these things was a weapon that used transdimensional technology. While we had no use for weapons, our scientists developed the Upward gate.

Our research concluded that we had to make this transfer to a non-corporeal/entity without our bodies, and send only our essence.

After many thousand years of research, our scientists claimed they found a way to dematerialize our brains and with this breakthrough we were ready to leave. All wanted t leave, except me. I was one of the scientists and warned of the untested technology developed on theories alone

I was not ready to give up my corporeal existence on the shouted and for true declared theories that long ceased to be science but religion.

I argued that even if the transfer would go exactly as planned, we did not know what would await us in the Upper Plane. Could there not be others already and perhaps not welcoming us?

But my objections were dismissed as heresy and I was silenced by robbing me of a public platform. The idea of becoming a new species all mind and nobody became a religion to us.

The few voices of critique fell silent, either intimidated or right out squashed.

I was exiled and excluded from it all.

They build the machine and made the journey, only it did not work as planned. The transfer only moved some of our essences into Upper Space, a part remained on this plane. Now we are stuck between two dimensions and cannot act in either. The state causes us much pain, pain you cannot get used to because there is nobody that could adjust. Nothing physical was able to affect us and death could no longer find us. Since I was in exile and far away when they changed the matter of our brains. More of me remained on this side.

After many thousand years I managed to develop weak telekinetic abilities. Able to affect matter, but on a very small scale only. the passage of time is the greatest pain if you cannot sleep or rest if your mind cannot go insane because it cannot alter its state. Can you imagine how it is not to rest, not to read play or work, not to do anything but be during a time it takes our world to circle its sun five hundred thousand times?”

Suit’s audio link was loud enough for everyone to hear. Dusty said as silently as he could. “I can. I drifted through deep space for even much longer believing I was all alone.”

The voice did not hear Dusty’s comment and continued. “The Seenians created this cache to be used by their daughters to rise again and be wiser stewards of the technological advances.

I was able to activate a Seenian device and establish a communications link to other surviving Seenian installations. One such installation was apparently created to direct seekers to this inheritance, I was able to alter the original message to direct whoever found that installation to this planet, but even after many centuries no one seemed to find their way to this message giver. I used the communication device again and found one such Seenian depot under the control of a young and growing society.

It took me many hundred years to learn to control this device. Seenian technology was and is very much alien to me.

Without hands or real eyes, it is hard to learn, but I managed to instruct an active robot at that far away base to construct a Hypno suggestive device. This time I did not have to wait too long. A living being found this device, and I suggested great treasure and rewards await if to come here.

I suggested that he bring along many others, in the hope we could occupy their bodies and either affect our death or resume research with physical hands and eyes to end our state of misery.

Now they came and we found that one ship is different from the others. Upward technology, your ship is full of it. Its ver engines tap into the other plane. Your weapons are much like the Seenian weapon we used as a base for our Upward Gate technology.

This is our story and now we are at your mercy.”

Narth spoke first.”You made several critical errors, the most important one you overlooked time. Even at an altered stated your minds still carry the time of this plane. Your very concept of time is linear with one reference point as past and one as future. Time has omnidirectional in hyperspace and yet different definitions in other universes. Another grave error is the attempt to open the gate from this plane.

What Union science calls transdimensional technology is utilizing the veil between Dimensional alternative realities. It is a true void nothing can or does exist there, except pure energy.”

“You know all this?”

“Certainly, I am Narth.”

“The ones the Seenians said were successful. We no longer care if we reach the other side or die in either. But we must find a way to end our current state.”

“There is a way to send the rest that is here to the other side. For this, we must have full access to all our ship. I will only assist if my Captain orders it so. I further issue this warning. I completed my assessment and Narth is very capable of adding to your pain. Know this, Narth is part of this crew and your actions are a clear declaration of hostilities.”

Narth’s eyes glowed brighter and he said with a much deeper voice.”Let me demonstrate.”

One of the greenish vapors started to wave and flicker and we all could hear an agonized scream.

“Have mercy, Narth. Have mercy! We can’t close our eyes to the horrors you sent into our minds.”

“Then do what our Captain demands.”

“Please return to our world’s surface so we can leave your vessel and we will hope for your help.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.